PDA

View Full Version : R. Williams v P. Tillman

NousDefionsDoc
12-28-2004, 16:39
I was just watching the 60 Minutes interview with Ricky Williams. He finally said the reason he ran away is because he was he was afraid that the fact he failed his 3rd drug test would be public knowledge. This guy reneged on his contract, his word, let his teammates and fans down, and ran away to Australia to live in a tent because he was afraid of the embarrassment.

Then I think about Pat Tillman.

And I wonder how two similar systems can produce two so very different people. And the conclusion I come to again and again is parental guidance/raising. I will remember this the next time I get a little lazy with The Kid.

alphamale
12-28-2004, 16:52
And the conclusion I come to again and again is parental guidance/raising.Definitely.

I've always felt so lucky to have had 2 loving and wonderful and tough parents.

Kids who haven't had that can become so fundamentally screwed up in how they relate to others and deal with things.

FrontSight

Jack Moroney (RIP)
12-28-2004, 16:58
Definitely.

I've always felt so lucky to have had 2 loving and wonderful and tough parents.

FrontSight

Do they know that you play with guns and knives and associate with us?!!!!

Jack Moroney

Gypsy
12-28-2004, 17:03
Kids who haven't had that can become so fundamentally screwed up in how they relate to others and deal with things.

FrontSight

Very true. I see young kids (my nephew comes to mind along with a couple of friends kids) now days "ruling" the roost. When asked (rhetorical in my mind) the question "well what can you do?" my response is: Hey dummy who is the grown up?? It's the whole touchy feely crap going on. I didn't want my parents to be my "buddies" that's for sure.

Then again, there are exceptions of course. I know a person who had such a sick f'd up childhood...but has turned out to be a uniquely wonderful and loving individual despite the horrors experienced. I think we all have our 'dysfunctional' families and things to overcome, some worse than others. Sometimes I simply marvel at how people who've gone through such bad, bad stuff can come out so good.

Roguish Lawyer
12-28-2004, 17:20
He finally said the reason he ran away is because he was he was afraid that the fact he failed his 3rd drug test would be public knowledge.

Yeah, no one suspected him before that. Not at all. :rolleyes:

Sigi
12-28-2004, 17:52
He is a quitter (except for the pot smoking.) I saw the 60 mins interview and I came away feeling he is a freak. I hope his days in the NFL are done. He is also a lying sack of crap. He quit on his teammates right before the season, saying he just did not have a love for the game anymore. Now he says he was "afraid" of a failed drug test. I don't care what his reasons were/are - he lied to his team and his owner who pays his salary and now has to pay the cost. Maybe he can make Raggae music for his income.

Ranger Pat Tillman is such a one-of-a-kind athlete. We will never again see his kind in the sports and entertainment industry.

Goggles Pizano
12-29-2004, 00:18
Ranger Pat Tillman is such a one-of-a-kind athlete. We will never again see his kind in the sports and entertainment industry.

Though I have such lofty respect for Pat Tillman I must disagree with you Sigi. There are plenty of these type of athletes in college/professional football today, they are called offensive lineman. Next college game your watching that announces the academic honor roll, or outstanding community service let me know what position he plays.

By the way I concur with the assesment of Ricky "shitbag" Williams by everyone here.

Bravo1-3
12-29-2004, 02:56
Another parallel: John Walker Lindh compared to a real American: Johnny "Mike" Spann.

Polar Bear
12-29-2004, 09:43
I will remember this the next time I get a little lazy with The Kid.

Good for you NDD. There are days that I want to just hole up after a shitty day at work and park the kids in front of the TV. Then I think what in the hell will that do for them...nothing we end up doing something constructive. Building blocks, flashcards, work in the yard etc. I only have one shot at raising My Boys so I had better make it good. And you know what it is paying off. Everyone comments on there good behavior.

alphamale
12-29-2004, 16:39
Do they know that you play with guns and knives Sir Jack, you really know how to get to the heart of the matter dontcha. They don't disapprove. But I don't talk about it a lot.

and associate with us?!!!!This I discussed with Mom & Dad was around too over Christmas. Implemented key tactic of first mentioning you were allll good Republicans which immediately puts Mom (Mamasita!! :) ) in a positive frame of mind. I might have mentioned some other things which I won't detail or else your HEADS will swell and you won't be able to fit them out the front door in the morning. :fswhip:

My parents were both way too old to be having a new kid when they had me (I claim I was an "oops" baby but they don't admit it), so they are very old now. (a world record wasn't broken, but...)

I noticed my Dad was not as fast as he used to be in responding. From a getting old standpoint, the physical ailments they have are just things to work with / around and don't bother me in the least, but realizing my Dad has slowed down mentally is really upsetting.

Then again, there are exceptions of course. I know a person who had such a sick f'd up childhood...but has turned out to be a uniquely wonderful and loving individual despite the horrors experienced. I think we all have our 'dysfunctional' families and things to overcome, some worse than others. Sometimes I simply marvel at how people who've gone through such bad, bad stuff can come out so good.Hi Gypsy, definitely true. Mr. Harsey's and my buddy who died last year, Rob Simonich, was a great example of that. He left with the only can of food in the house at 13 and said he was never coming back. You would never know he had such a tough start in life - he had such a positive factor on everyone who knew him.

FrontSight

brewmonkey
12-29-2004, 17:02
And I wonder how two similar systems can produce two so very different people. And the conclusion I come to again and again is parental guidance/raising. I will remember this the next time I get a little lazy with The Kid.

I always wondered my dad was tough on me, but I figured it out later on. I know have 2 boys and while they may not like it when the "iron fist" comes down I am sure they will reflect at some point and realize why I do what I do.

bberkley
12-29-2004, 18:18
My mother often remarks at how happy she is with the man I've grown up to be considering the worthless POS I have for a father.

I'm so scared of turning out like my dad. My wife says thats what makes me a good dad. I was kind of a punk when I went in the Army at 17. I was definitely grown up by the time I ETS'ed 4 years later. I really give credit to the NCOs that provided more structure than I ever had at home growing up.

I am the man I am today because of my military service and to a lesser extent, a desire to do a better job with my kids than I experienced.