PDA

View Full Version : The ol "Gabe TM"

glebo
08-06-2015, 08:33
http://weaponsman.com/?p=11967

Blast from the past. Some of you ol FOGs may recognize some of these guys...

I knew all but two of them....the good ol days, check out the "staches"...lol

kalanis
08-06-2015, 09:05
I've seen that clip before. Wish it was on YouTube when I was in high school. Very cool.

mark46th
08-06-2015, 15:00
After my time. I did pull "Smoke Eater Detail" more than once....

MR2
08-06-2015, 15:20
One of the five in uniform. First is one was Game Day, second was Rehearsal. Both showing my best side.

glebo
08-06-2015, 15:21
After my time. I did pull "Smoke Eater Detail" more than once....

Ok, well maybe "not that far" in the past...lol

But it seems like it to me...:D

mojaveman
08-07-2015, 01:14
I'm certain that video's been posted on here once before.

Drank beer with a few of those guys. ;)

CSB
08-07-2015, 07:50
Does anyone know of a video of the full "start to finish" Gabriel Demonstration?

MR2, that looks exactly like my team would have looked in 1976.

[Hey, I may steal the photo :-)]

Team Sergeant
08-07-2015, 08:31
Does anyone know of a video of the full "start to finish" Gabriel Demonstration?

MR2, that looks exactly like my team would have looked in 1976.

[Hey, I may steal the photo :-)]

Yeah, I was there in 83 don't recognize any of them. Lt's on a team? I never saw that. I'm guessing that was not mid 80's but late 70's or very early 80's.

mark46th
08-07-2015, 08:40
My XO on A20 in the 46th Co was a 1Lt. We were pretty hard on him. This was in 1973. It wasn't uncommon to have a 1Lt as an XO. IIRC, Richard was a Detachment CDR as a 1LT.

Richard
08-07-2015, 09:01
I'd say '84. Notice the SF Tabs.

I knew about half the NCOs on that team. One of them, Ricky Ervin, came to us in B/1-7th as a CPL out of SFQC in '82 IIRC and was still there when I left in June '83, so it would have been after that time.

As for LTs in Group - they weren't plentiful, for sure, because branches at that time were telling them SF wasn't such a good idea, but two of us in 1-7th were prior service SF NCOs commissioned from OCS and Det Cdrs as 2LTs, and about 1/3 of our ODAs had 1LT XOs. Later, as a 1LT Det Cdr, I also had a recent SFOC 1LT grad as my Det XO for 4 months to prep him to take the ODA (a SCUBA det) prior to my moving to become the ODB XO for MAJ Jones.

Such were the times. ;)

Richard

Joker
08-07-2015, 09:20
We had three or four LTs in A-1/7 in '83. The Company XO was one, he was waiting for his broke leg to heal so he could go BACK through the Q; he broke it on the Obstacle Course in Phase 1. :eek:

We did the Gabe demo about two-three times in '83-'86.

mojaveman
08-09-2015, 20:12
I knew several of those guys. I'm certain it was made sometime during the first quarter of '84.

JJ_BPK
08-10-2015, 05:54
I think this article is written by our HOGNOSE??

About Hognose

Former Special Forces 11B2S, later 18B, weapons man. (Also served in intelligence and operations jobs in SF).

https://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/member.php?u=674

Sdiver
08-10-2015, 07:39
That was pretty cool. They should use something like that in a movie. :munchin

I'm just wondering, how many cans of spray starch that young Capt. used on his BDUs? ;)

JJ_BPK
08-10-2015, 07:57

I'm just wondering, how many cans of spray starch that young Capt. used on his BDUs? ;)

I can remember "struggling" to get into my 107's. The legs & arms were glued together with starch. And frequently, the cleaners would crush the buttons on the fly, which you didn't find out about until you "broke out" a new set.. :D

Along with taper to fit, the starch uniform 107 was about the stupidest thing "someone" dreamed up..

LMAO

Team Sergeant
08-10-2015, 08:50
I'd say '84. Notice the SF Tabs.

I knew about half the NCOs on that team. One of them, Ricky Ervin, came to us in B/1-7th as a CPL out of SFQC in '82 IIRC and was still there when I left in June '83, so it would have been after that time.

As for LTs in Group - they weren't plentiful, for sure, because branches at that time were telling them SF wasn't such a good idea, but two of us in 1-7th were prior service SF NCOs commissioned from OCS and Det Cdrs as 2LTs, and about 1/3 of our ODAs had 1LT XOs. Later, as a 1LT Det Cdr, I also had a recent SFOC 1LT grad as my Det XO for 4 months to prep him to take the ODA (a SCUBA det) prior to my moving to become the ODB XO for MAJ Jones.

Such were the times. ;)

Richard

Maybe in the NG and Reserve SF units.... not the AD units.

PSM
08-10-2015, 10:37
Along with taper to fit, the starch uniform 107 was about the stupidest thing "someone" dreamed up..

LMAO

It sucked in the field but I did like it when I was instructing. I looked strack while the students looked like they slept in theirs. :D But, being a smaller guy, I had mine tailored on Oki. I kept getting Arty-15s for wearing pegged uniforms. They were tailored to the regs but no one bothered to measure them. Oh, well. It kept me from spending money on weekends. ;) :D

Pat

glebo
08-10-2015, 16:08

Awww, c'mon man, everyone knows they went to Kims on Yadkin Rd and got "Heavy Starch"...

Tore the hell out of button holes though....but damn sure looked good...for "display of course"...:p