PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Carter correct that U.S. is no longer a democracy

mojaveman
08-03-2015, 20:24
Interesting article.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/eric-zuesse/jimmy-carter-is-correct-t_b_7922788.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

Richard
08-03-2015, 22:14
We never were a Democracy, we were/are a Republic.

Democratically constituted federal republic.

Richard

PSM
08-03-2015, 23:01
Democratically constituted federal republic.

Richard

With voting regulated by the individual states. Limited, at the time, largely to white male property owners. Several states, though, also allowed women and black male property owners to vote. Ownership of property being the defining requirement.

Pat

Box
08-04-2015, 04:42
He is apparently as knowledgeable about the status of our nation NOW as he was when he held office...
...now go put on a sweater aMErica

How exquisite for Carter to opine on the condition of politics when it was HIS campaign pollster that commented, “Governing with public approval requires a continuing political campaign.”

Typical words and commentary from the personification of a modern democrat.

Well done Mr Carter.
Well done.

Hand
08-04-2015, 07:52
With voting regulated by the individual states. Limited, at the time, largely to white male property owners. Several states, though, also allowed women and black male property owners to vote. Ownership of property being the defining requirement.

Pat

I can see increased forward momentum as a state and a State if voting were limited to property owners. Especially given the state of the voter-ship as it currently stands; augmented by transients and undocumented immigrants.

There is the implication that a property owner would be more informed, more conscious of the long term effects of legislation and the stances and tendencies of their elected representation. I see how this would effectively negate what I consider to be bad entitlement programs as property owners would be more concerned with building infrastructure, strong military, good borders, good foreign policy (in the interest of security and trade).

Of course this would all be selfish interest, but I can see the long term results being a country that was rich and viable for the creation of business and agriculture.

For contrast, by muddying the voting pool with non-property owners, the selfish motivations of voters become less about long term viability and more about short term "prosperity".

I assert that the country would be a much stronger NATION today had we stayed true to this idea.

Full disclosure: I am NOT a property owner.

Streck-Fu
08-04-2015, 08:12
Much of the transition from Republic occurred post Civil War with the Reconstruction Amendments ending any idea of either supremacy, or even parity, of state governments with the federal.

Beginning with the 14th Am and ending with the 17th Am, the idea of a three part power sharing government came to an end.

One of the more devastating amendments may be the 17th Am as it completely eliminated to voice of the individual state legislatures in the federal government and turned the Senate into the House part II.

Team Sergeant
08-04-2015, 08:24
Zero showed up.

Listening to Jimmy Carter is like listening to al sharpton, both are morons.