PDA

View Full Version : Army testing real hoverbike

Polecat
06-23-2015, 16:09
Hey all,

Just wanted to share this with you guys. SOF will be the first ones with their hands on these. They basically eliminate the threat of pressure plates during recon missions.

Here is the link for the article: http://www.funker530.com/hover-bikes-could-actually-be-coming-to-the-u-s-army-video/

What do you guys think?

Five-O
06-23-2015, 18:46
Envisioning flights of combat loaded 11Bs in close formation....

I'm already making DA 2173 copies. :D

Maybe the 101st could be Airborne again? ;)

CSB
06-23-2015, 21:39
BULLSHIT

Range?
Payload?
Noise?
Vulnerability to debris FOD?

But there's got to be millions of wasted taxpayer dollars in the game.

Pete
06-24-2015, 04:27
BULLSHIT

Range?
Payload?
Noise?

What he said.

Been many, many attempts at stuff like this over the last 60 years. Remember the James Bond rocket pack? You can find some old Army films of soldiers testing it.

They all failed due to payload and range.

The first half of the clip was all "ain't it pretty" - the second half was the model flying around.

A good place to waste millions of dollars to find they just can't lift the required weight and go more than a mile.

Guymullins
06-24-2015, 04:57
A few trees and bushes will soon show why flat skidding turns are not ideal and why hovercraft are used mainly on water.

Team Sergeant
06-24-2015, 10:40
BULLSHIT

Range?
Payload?
Noise?

Agree, unless they have found dilithium crystals to power it.....

I'd like to see an entire infantry regiment on motorcycles.... talk about a quick flanking force....

Flagg
06-24-2015, 13:24

I'd like to see an entire infantry regiment on motorcycles.... talk about a quick flanking force....

I'm with you on the motorcycles!

If only as a HUGE fan of riding on civvie street.

I can say from first hand experience, electric motorcycles have been making HUGE progress in recent years, possibly enough for genuine consideration for some military applications.

As battery power density improves, I would think it will eventually cross the necessary .MIL performance benchmarks someday.

The riding experience of Harley-Davidson's new LiveWire that I rode a year ago was genuinely and sincerely exceptional. In some respects such as: performance, ease of rideability, rider workload, rider safety, and rider training would be far improved from traditional internal combustion bikes.

But I think the problem is there is no "Moore's Law" for batteries as Moore's Laws is physics and batteries are chemistry....so performance will likely be incremental rather than exponential.

-----

Back to the hoverbikes.........this just coincidentally came from Lexus/Toyota in the last few hours.

http://www.theverge.com/tldr/2015/6/24/8837863/hoverboard-lexus-maglev-video

April Fool's Day was nearly 3 months ago.....so I reckon it's genuine as Lexus/Toyota are pretty big into cutting edge R&D.

Check out all the smoke....I'm guessing liquid oxygen/nitrogen for the magnets?

They should have hired Michael J Fox and dressed him up as Marty McFly from Back to the Future.

SouthernDZ
06-24-2015, 13:37
What about the footprints...

What footprints?

Carbon footprints Sergeant!

Army green has taken in a whole new meaning in the age of Obama.

abc_123
06-24-2015, 14:23

It will never work. How would they hide wearing the required reflective PPE?

MR2
06-24-2015, 17:52
Use the Battle Buddy as a safety.

or Velcro...