PDA

View Full Version : Found Yarborough

kpdarnell
06-15-2015, 13:48
In October 2014 I worked a meth lab in Clarksville TN and recovered a Yarborough Knife.

The knife has had the serial number obliterated.
I have checked every crime report in the area and pawn tickets and there has not been a Yarborough Knife reported stolen or pawned. Since this knife has not been used in a violent crime and is not a firearm I cannot get our lab to raise the serial number.

I have come here to ask if anyone knows of a Yarborough Knife that was stolen in the FTCKY area sometime in 2014?

JJ_BPK
06-16-2015, 04:52
I have come here to ask if anyone knows of a Yarborough Knife that was stolen in the FTCKY area sometime in 2014?

1st, Thanks for thinking of us..

Tracking them is problematic as the records are not easily accessible.

Serialized knives show up on ebay and at pawn shops for several reasons.

troop needs the money
divorce
lost on FTX, rotation, or card game
X-GF steals everything
what ever...

Personally, I don't think a knife with a destroyed serial has much collector value.

BUT

I would suggest that a raffle could be established with the proceeds going to the Green Beret Foundation.

Can you get some pictures?
Is the sheath available?

:munchin

The Reaper
06-16-2015, 07:28
I believe he would like to return the stolen knife to its owner, not make a profit off it.

TR

Team Sergeant
06-16-2015, 08:19
I spoke with him, they'd like to ID the knife and ID the individual that it was stolen from and its in very bad shape.

kpdarnell
06-16-2015, 08:30
Yes, my goal here is to find the rightful owner. Not make any kind of profit off this knife.

It is still in evidence and the case is still pending but it will be wrapping up soon.

There was no sheath recovered with the knife.

I am limiting who has access to the pictures right now in case the rightful owner can step up and tell me about some unique marks on the knife. If I post the pictures everywhere right now then that gets taken away.

I know there are lots of reasons this knife could have been separated from its owner. Some good, some bad. I am hoping for the good outcome.

I have received several offers of assistance including a possible means of raising the serial number. The serial number will at least give us a much better chance of finding the owner.

Thanks to everyone.

The Reaper
06-16-2015, 08:43
If you can recover the SN, we can find out who the knife was issued to.

There may be some sentimental value to the owner, even if it is defaced.

Anyone in 5th Group lose a Yarborough, but not reported it yet?

TR

CSB
06-16-2015, 09:17
Hey Kyle.

The owner might be OCONUS and not even know it's been stolen. We had more than a few storage lockers broken into last year, the vultures seem to know when the owners will be away for a long while. My most recent case was an inside job, managers husband taking her all access key and helping himself to property.

Any chance meth head might give up some information?

You know me as CB (the PD).

kpdarnell
06-16-2015, 09:59
Unfortunately no one is talking about where this knife came from.

I honestly would be surprised if they remembered. Most labs I work have dozens of knives in them. I worked one recently that had close to 100 knives in it.

Meth cooks and users love knives. They have just always been cheap folders or really cheap flea market fixed blades before. They don't hold a special place for people in the meth world other than knives are just something cool to have around. Kind of like paint pens to decorate things with. They love those as well.

Ambush Master
06-16-2015, 15:53
I think you will have a great deal of difficulty raising the S/N!! Those are Milled in and not Stamped like a Firearm. I don't believe that there would be any Shadowing from the Milling Process.

Later
Martin

Joker
06-16-2015, 19:01
I think you will have a great deal of difficulty raising the S/N!! Those are Milled in and not Stamped like a Firearm. I don't believe that there would be any Shadowing from the Milling Process.

Later
Martin

Only way to find out is to try to do it!

Team Sergeant
06-17-2015, 08:54
Someone find a private lab that Professionalsoldiers.com can pay to lift the serial number. Then message me. ;)

Bill Harsey
07-14-2015, 07:49

Later
Martin

Martin,
That's what I was thinking and the carbide cutters used to do this are very sharp thus minimal work hardening stress under the mark which is what a chemical etch depends on.

sneakypete314
11-27-2015, 18:56
Fellas,
I am on here tonight to post for my uncle. i know this is a long shot. In 2006 he was deployed and his X wife stole and sold his knife. I know about the replacement program at SWC, however we were hoping someone has seen 1415 in passing.
thanks fellas enjoy your holidays.

kpdarnell
10-11-2016, 17:10
I am back.

The case is pretty much completed so now comes more questions.

Has anybody here had any luck in finding a private lab to try and raise the serial number? I am guessing no, since I haven't been contacted in awhile now.

If I can't get the serial number lifted and the knife returned to a rightful owner then I intend to clean the knife up, sharpen it, get a sheath, sign it out from evidence and use it at work.

My concern is the spot where the serial number was has been ground down pretty deep. It may have substantially weakened the blade.

Does anybody have another idea in locating the owner or an heir?

Peregrino
10-11-2016, 19:23
I am back.

Has anybody here had any luck in finding a private lab to try and raise the serial number? I am guessing no, since I haven't been contacted in awhile now.

If I can't get the serial number lifted and the knife returned to a rightful owner then I intend to clean the knife up, sharpen it, get a sheath, sign it out from evidence and use it at work.

My concern is the spot where the serial number was has been ground down pretty deep. It may have substantially weakened the blade.

Can't speak to the question of finding the original owner; however, I can assure you that simply grinding out the SN hasn't substantially weakened the blade. Mr. Harsey will be happy to extol the virtues of the steel used in the knife; he might even be able to point you at a source for the correct sheath. You've exercised due diligence (more than most in any event) so I personally can't see anything wrong with salvaging the knife and putting it back to work. It certainly doesn't deserve to be sent to the chopper/smelter like the usual detritus found in an evidence room. MOO - some of the other guys may be along shortly to add their .02.

Bill Harsey
10-12-2016, 03:54
I am back.

I'm pretty sure you will not be able to "raise the serial number" by acid etching because that only works for steel that has had the serial numbers stamped in.
All Yarboroughs serial numbers are engraved to avoid the stress risers caused by stamping and engraving has very little impact on the grain structure underneath.

How the serial numbers were ground off will determine how strong the blade remains. All tool steels in this class are to one degree or another notch sensitive.
If the knife is wrecked you may as well carry it until it can't be carried but if your life depends on a knife, get a good one that isn't f*cked up.

glebo
10-12-2016, 06:57
Wow, what a damn shame to deface a knife like that. I would love to have one, and then you have people with no regard and screw it up...

Damn shame...

Bill Harsey
11-04-2016, 19:09
Confirmed with the Chris Reeve shop that serial numbers are engraved in prior to heat treat which means all the heat treat soaks would erase what minimal pressure marks the carbide cutter may have left.
Nothing would show up in an acid etch.
If someone can prove me wrong, please advise.

Engraving is much lighter on the metal than stamping serial numbers in already heat treated steels like firearms or motor cases made from other metals.

Also check with the Chris Reeve shop to see of any of you qualify for a Military or Law Enforcement discount, if interested in getting a knife.

kpdarnell
06-24-2017, 12:34
For those who are interested.
I recovered another Yarborough in another meth lab. This one actually has the SN intact! I am out on sick leave for a couple of weeks but I will work on tracking down the owner while I am recovering.
Update to follow.

CSB
06-24-2017, 17:19
Kyle, you can send me a private message with the serial number I can work on it while you are out.
Or have someone stop by the courts complex at room 436.
CB

kpdarnell
06-29-2017, 20:53
Great news!
I spoke to the owner via email today! He is active duty so I will not be posting any further details about him.

Hopefully I can get this returned tomorrow.

CSB
06-29-2017, 22:27
Kyle, tell me it's one of my clients so I can move to withdraw!:D

kpdarnell
06-30-2017, 04:13
LOL! I am sorry to tell you it isn't.

kpdarnell
06-30-2017, 11:39
I just wanted to add that the knife has been returned to its rightful owner.
I met with him today. His was a cautionary tale of drug addiction and vindictive spouses.

Thank you to everyone here and at the Special Forces museum for their help!

ETA: He wasn't addicted to anything. His former spouse was.

doctom54
07-01-2017, 07:54
Nice work on your part to get it back to him!

Team Sergeant
07-01-2017, 12:07
Well done!