PDA

View Full Version : Free Range Parenting

Last hard class
06-12-2015, 20:20
WTF? There is a name for this?

When I was a kid you did your chores and then stayed out until you couldn't see.
It's dark, time to come home. Believe it or not, it even works without cell phones. That was normal, certainly not considered child endangerment.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/after-free-range-case-maryland-clarifies-solo-kids-policy/ar-BBl1PuG

How are our kids supposed to grow a set if they can't even walk home unassisted from the park?

LHC

PSM
06-12-2015, 20:32
When I was a kid you did your chores and then stayed out until you couldn't see to shoot your best friend with a BB gun!
LHC

Right on! :D

Pat

craigepo
06-13-2015, 08:39
I'm with you. I got home, grabbed a .22, and stayed out until I could barely see. Unless it was warm enough to fish, then I was at some neighbors farm pond until dark.

I don't know when kids' schedules mandated that they be filled up with stict supervision and soccer games.

JJ_BPK
06-13-2015, 10:56
These news quips piss me off..

We walked to school from 1st or 2nd grade thru 6th, about a mile..

The only limit I had was the distance I could hear my mother yell and that went away when I turned 10yo?

We lived on a buff above the Hudson River (Hyde Park, NY). Between our development and the river was a wooded area, maybe 3miles east-west and 6-7 miles, north-south.

We ran wild... :D

And survived... :lifter

These kids are screwed out of their childhood..

:mad: