PDA

View Full Version : How do you cook a skeet?

PSM
06-11-2015, 17:58
So, I woke up this morning with the dog lying across my legs followed by shots being fired outside. My wife shot her first snake of the year with her .22LR LCR. :D The dog jumps up on the bed when we get our guns and go outside to shoot. I guess he needs some Mutt Muffs. (http://www.amazon.com/Mutt-Muffs-DDR337-Hearing-Protection/dp/B002CZQ1TA).

Then my wife gets a call from a member of her women's shooting club and learns that a gun shop in town was holding .22LR for the members, so, after lunch, she goes in to buy the ammo...and comes home with a used 20 gauge Remington Wingmaster to use at the new Skeet/Trap range down the road. :D

Yep, she's enjoying retirement!

The snake may be a Mojave. Only about 2' long.

Pat

mark46th
06-11-2015, 18:37
That's a great quail gun.

PSM
06-11-2015, 21:52
That's a great quail gun.

I know less than nothing about scatterguns, so this should be fun. One of the instructors from her shooting club runs the shotgun range. We're going to meet with him on Saturday for some maintenance and shooting lessons.

(BTW, her "women only" shooting club does have a couple of male instructors. The first one bullied the club owner into letting him join. He was originally an 18D. :D I have learned that he was, at least, a SMG during his career. He's not a member here, though. Well, not yet. ;) )

Pat

craigepo
06-11-2015, 21:56
You've got to love a woman that will go outside and blast her own varmints.

Now the gun shy dog will take a little fixing. I always start the bird dogs out young with banging on loud stuff and small bore shots. But, it sounds like the dog probably spends most time inside anyway, so what the heck.

PSM
06-11-2015, 23:30
You've got to love a woman that will go outside and blast her own varmints.

Yep! Especially considering that she spent her whole life in Culver City and Hermosa Beach, CA. That's a city girl. ;)

Now the gun shy dog will take a little fixing. I always start the bird dogs out young with banging on loud stuff and small bore shots. But, it sounds like the dog probably spends most time inside anyway, so what the heck.

At 120 lbs and with the think coat, he hibernates during the summer. :D I went through dog handling school on Okinawa and the instructor told us that he thought that floppy eared dogs were less gun shy than erect eared dogs because of the natural muffling on the ears. During training, our GSDs were never very close to us when we fired our weapons. War dogs would be a whole different scenario considering the unanticipated noise of combat, though.

Pat