View Full Version : Frankensteak
mark46th
06-10-2015, 17:38
You have probably eaten a product made with this if you have eaten chicken nuggets, processed lunch meat...
http://holykaw.alltop.com/are-restaurants-tricking-you-with-fake-steak-video
So...that's what compressed and glued potted meat looks like. :D
In all seriousness, it's a wonder that our internal systems can still function after much of the stuff we have put in and through it.
Team Sergeant
06-10-2015, 22:27
Any "steak" aficionado that would mistake that for a rib eye deserves to eat it...... :rolleyes:
x SF med
06-11-2015, 05:42
wrong texture for the cut across the grain.... I would probably send it back.
wrong texture for the cut across the grain.... I would probably send it back.
Probaly?:eek: Hell yes it would go back;)
...at 2am at a Waffle House after an evening of consuming fermented hops, you could glue that shit together in front of me and I wouldn't notice.
Otherwise, the steaks in all of the frekensteak videos I've seen all look a little "off"
...at best they look like cheap steaks.
That being said, I am considering going to lunch at the waffle house right now.
Team Sergeant
06-11-2015, 08:43
Probaly?:eek: Hell yes it would go back;)
Agree. There's a reason they call it "rib eye" and its not present in that frankensteak.
Then again most folks don't have a clue what the steak cuts are anyway.
Best way to enjoy your own rib eyes, buy a whole rib roast and make the cuts yourself. You'll likely save at least a dollar a pound in doing so and have the steak the way you like it.
mark46th
06-11-2015, 13:10
The chef intimated that Arby's uses it for their roast beef sandwiches. Their Roast Beef on a King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread roll is one of my favorites. I will have to re-evaluate my priorities..
x SF med
06-11-2015, 16:36
...
That being said, I am considering going to lunch at the waffle house right now.
We do not have Waffle Houses in the PNW... this is sacrilege, not even the cheap imitation Huddle House...
although after Crip's graduation, Waffle House on Skibo ran out of Waffles? How the hell does a Waffle house run out of Waffles? They still had hash browns... not the same.
Longstreet
06-12-2015, 04:50
In all seriousness, it's a wonder that our internal systems can still function after much of the stuff we have put in and through it.
On a slight side note, I remember reading that because of all the preservatives we do consume, our bodies now decompose at a much slower rate when we finally check out.
Best way to enjoy your own rib eyes, buy a whole rib roast and make the cuts yourself. You'll likely save at least a dollar a pound in doing so and have the steak the way you like it.What do you think of this?
Dry aging at home (30-60 days) (http://imgur.com/a/FusxC)
Team Sergeant
06-15-2015, 06:45
What do you think of this?
Dry aging at home (30-60 days) (http://imgur.com/a/FusxC)
I've done it but you need a dedicated fridge. (one that you don't use and open close 20 times a day.) I may try it again if I can find a small fridge to use.
Team Sergeant
06-15-2015, 23:05
Dry aging beef at home
UMAi Dry bags are actually wet aging. There's a few great websites on real dry aging and explanations on the process. It's easy to do but as I said before you really need a dedicated fridge. And if I did it again I'd purchase a fridge and install a very small fan for air circulation.
This is how I'd do it next time. http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/03/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-dry-aging-beef-at-home.html
If you're going to attempt it I'd set up the fridge first, test the temp, you might want to install a external fridge thermometer/ humidity gauge, something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/AcuRite-00611A3-Wireless-Thermometer-Humidity/dp/B001B35APA
Special note: Pat LaFrieda Meat Purveyors is thanked for donating this guys prime beef cuts for his dry aging testing and I'd probably guess maybe gave a little advice on the dry aging process. I have Pat LaFrieda's book "MEAT, Everything you need to know (http://www.amazon.com/MEAT-Everything-You-Need-Know/dp/1476725993)" great book and very informative.
mark46th
06-16-2015, 08:17
Short of building a walk-in refrigerator and if you have the room, go to a restaurant supply and look for a used glass front commercial refrigerator. You can keep an eye on the process without opening the door. I would have one but I don't have the room at this time...