PDA

View Full Version : The Interment of SSG Florich at Arlington National Cemetery

fasteddie565
05-31-2015, 17:45
Gents,

You have probably read about the LA National Guard soldier who was denied interment at Arlington National Cemetery. His Father, Stephen Florich was a Ranger qualified Special Forces Major, a Brother and one of my best friends.

I will summarize my personal story as to why I think SSG Florich should be interred at ANC by saying that I knew him his entire life, he was like a son to me. That said....

Since DESERT SHIELD and DESERT STORM the USAR and Air and Army National Guard have played a key role in the One Force, One Fight concept. Since 9/11 2001, they have played a significant role in the war in Iraq and the War on Terror.

In 2008, in recognition of the continued and significant contributions made by the National Guard, the Chief of the National Guard Bureau was promoted to a Four Star position and assigned a seat on the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

This recognition at the National level needs to filter down into the operational and tactical levels. In specific, the policy of interring National Guardsman who gave their lives while serving, despite the paperwork that directed their actions.

From a personal perspective, SSG Florich was the consummate soldier. Not only did he serve proudly in the LANG, he was also a Military Technician that supported the 1st Assault Helicopter Bn of the 244 Aviation. He was the crew chief for a flight from this unit, Mojo 69 when he gave his life.

Tom was not killed in a traffic accident driving home from drill. He was killed conducting high risk special operations training during limited visibility with our MARSOC Brothers, one of whom recently received a Silver Star.

The antiquity in the way that we as a Nation treat our reservists and guardsman can no longer stand as is.

We need to reach out to our legislators and let them know that first and most immediately they need to call the Secretary of the Army and tell him to grant the exception to policy and bury SSG Thomas C Florich III at Arlington National Cemetery with Full Honors.

We then need to begin to draft legislation fix the gross injustices that continue to be imposed on those who serve.

Please see the latest from SSG Florich's Father, a Ranger qualified SF Brother at the link below.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4265985130001/soldier-denied-burial-at-arlington-national-cemetery/?playlist_id=938973798001#sp=show-clips

Click this link to find your congressman and senators and send them the following message:
http://www.contactingthecongress.org/

Dear Sir or Madame,

I am writing today to ask that you contact the Secretary of the Army and demand that he approve the exception to policy, granting the interment of SSG Thomas C. Florich III at Arlington National Cemetery. The blood he shed that stained the ocean was just as red and his service was just as honorable as that of the US Marines with whom he gave his life on that tragic day. He deserves to rest in eternity with his Brothers in Arms. I look forward to hearing of your efforts to seize the moral high ground as you contact the Secretary of the Army and request that he grant the exception. Thank you for your time and kind consideration in this matter.

Respectfully,

Your Name

Thanks!

x SF med
06-01-2015, 15:07
Fasteddie-

Not to besmirch SSG Florich, his father, or the MARSOC Marines he was training, but Arlington should be reserved for those who were in and of themselves the best of the best. There is limited land available at the site for ANC, and if SSG Florich did not earn the honors in combat that are the requisites for interment at ANC, another National Cemetery is still a huge honor.

I have had friends who were LOM recipients with multiple combat tours, and a lot of high level combat related awards who were laid to rest, in a columbarium, at ANC, and there were still huge issues with getting scheduled and getting space.

I am of the belief that we need to uphold the standards for interment at ANC, and reserve it for those who went so far above and beyond that the honor of lying in the shadow of the nation's Capitol is upheld. SSG Florich and his father, and you should be highly honored to lay SSG Florich in a National Cemetery near home, it is still a huge honor reserved for 1% of the population... ANC is for the .05% of the 1% that are the ultimate heroes.

JimP
06-01-2015, 15:26
I can see both sides of this issue. He was either title 10 (Federal Service) or title 32 (State Guard) at the time of his death. As I understand it, he was in title 32 - State status at the time.

Kind of a bitch but if he was in State status, there's nothing allowing him in to Arlington unless your petition is successful. Then, I'm not sure there will be ANY limitations as to entry into Arlington.

I'm just leaving First Army. We are responsible for conducting the Withdrawal of Federal Recognition (WOFR) Boards for Guard Officers. What that means is we recommend withdrawal of fed-recognition to pull the Fed certs on Guard Officers involved in crim/thuggery/jack-assery. You simply cannot imagine the amount of jack-assery the Guard brings to the table. I ain't buying the "one team-one fight" bullshit the leadership is selling. The Guard simply CANNOT do what the active does with their 39 days of training each year. it just can't be done.

As in this case, there are some excellent units and some excellent troops, but think real hard before you open the gates of Arlington to all the State-status folks. That would include Texas militia; etc.

This soldier sounds like a stud and I'd be proud to walk point for him. But let's think real hard about what we're asking.