PDA

View Full Version : Questions about enlisting in the guard after college with a Rep 63 Contract.

SC45
05-24-2015, 11:11
Gentlemen,
I appreciate all of your help. After much thought, I have decided to enlist with a Rep 63 contract after graduation. I will be graduating with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and was wondering if it would be best to get a job before I enlist, or enlist right after graduation and start the job search after I've finished my military training? Thank you.
-SC45

Scimitar
05-24-2015, 14:32
SC, I can't speak to the wisdom of ARNG mixed with civilian job, but a few things to keep in mind:

1) Different states approach the Rep-63 pipeline differently.
A) Straight thru - From basic training into the Q-course
B) Broken - IET courses, break, SFAS, break, Q-Course. Breaks may extend 3-6 months.

2) There is a typical 3-6 month delay for most 18 series type Initial Entry contracts. If you do want to avoid a break between graduation and shipping, get in early. The slots fill heavy that time of year.

NOTE: This info is a little old, the principals likely remain, but the time frames may have changed. Do your homework.

S

VVVV
05-24-2015, 18:45
Get a job first...that job will be held for you while you are on active duty for training.