PDA

View Full Version : What were some of the biggest personal challenges you faced in your life?

Murican
05-20-2015, 06:08
QP's, what were some of the biggest personal challenges you faced in your life prior to, during, or after your SF career, and how did you handle it? Have you ever ran in any roadblocks? Were you ever afraid?

glebo
05-20-2015, 07:20
Leaving my wife and kids, for extended periods of time, over, and over, and over....

Just chugged through it. Luckily my wifes dad was a retired SF guy, same with him. He was VN era, so she knew what she signed up for. Couldn't have done it without her...

Team Sergeant
05-20-2015, 09:02
While in the Middle East I was very afraid, very afraid of what I'd find upon my return home and what I left in my fridge for six months!!!!!! (I was a single guy with my own house.) ;)

In all seriousness, readjusting to civilian life is still difficult. I find I have an extremely low to no tolerance for stupid.

JJ_BPK
05-20-2015, 09:57
In all seriousness, readjusting to civilian life is still difficult. I find I have an extremely low to no tolerance for stupid.

45 yrs later,,
same same water buffalo..

mark46th
05-20-2015, 21:29
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
" I find I have an extremely low to no tolerance for stupid."

I have found that, as long as no one gets hurt, it helps to laugh. Otherwise, that shit will eat you up.

x SF med
05-21-2015, 00:00
Originally Posted by Team Sergeant View Post
" I find I have an extremely low to no tolerance for stupid."

I have found that, as long as no one gets hurt, it helps to laugh. Otherwise, that shit will eat you up.

TS does not laugh. Ever. Even after many beers and watching a large Oregon logger get surprised by a very much smaller SF guy.:eek::eek:

mark46th
05-21-2015, 09:20
OK- Just become mildly amused. No smile necessary...

Abu Jack
05-21-2015, 10:41
PTSD - got counseling, quit drinking (sober going on six years), picked up cycling and got competitive. Health, relationships and attitude are the best they've been in a long time.

x SF med
05-22-2015, 04:49
Iron is tempered in fire - until it screams and glows, then it is thrown into very cold water where it screams more, and hardens to steel.

Every QP here has faced roadblocks and adversity. How do/did they handle it? Each situation calls for separate set of solutions, you do your gut check make your choice and drive the hell on, making corrections along the way if and when needed.