PDA

View Full Version : I Found the Grinch!!!

QRQ 30
12-25-2004, 10:14
I have noticed that many of the major retailers are open today!! What a shame. I was reflecting on the cause and I have decided the Grinch's name is "Political Correctness". Christmas is a religious based holiday and the PC crowd and ACLU take exception to that. We don't want to neglect a Jew, Moslem, afro- , or some other. Therefore the retailers stay opened to cater to the non-christians. I say this still sucks and refuse to go out shopping today. The people working deserve to be home with their families. You can bet their superiors are!!! That is, very senior management. Local management mans as much of the stores as possible to put even more money in the pockets of Scrooge. They are on salary and don't get overtime or holiday pay.

Perhaps the Govt needs to enact a mandatory "Family Day" and make it illegal to conduct any commercial business on this day! :(

By the way: Merry Christmas to each and all!!!!! :o

Kyobanim
12-25-2004, 10:54
The only thing open here is 7-11

QRQ 30
12-25-2004, 11:26
The only thing open here is 7-11
K-Mart is open as is Home Depot, Loew's and most grocery stores. The ironic thing is that we live in the Bible Belt. They still have "Blue Laws" here which were suspended for the holidays.
:confused:

Huey14
12-25-2004, 11:40
Most of our shops were closed. The only day they're legally obliged to close is the morning of ANZAC Day, and then certain stores can be open.

Eagle5US
12-25-2004, 12:20
Not that I disagree with you about the stores or the family day bit. "CLOSE THEM ALL!" I say, "EMPLOYEES UNITE!!!"
But-allow me to add
The original Christmas was not REALLY the Christian holiday we have come to know in modern times.:eek: It was the Catholic adaptation of a pagan holiday (Winter Solstice celebration in honor of Saturnus) that was used to turn the pagans gently toward the catholic church in Europe. This is why we celebrate Christmas in Dec instead of in the Spring when most all of the recognized religious commuity agrees that Jesus was actually born. Much of the symbolism associated with our modern day Christmas celebration - tree / yule log / gift giving / holly etc...dates back to the time before Christ as props in the pagan rituals.

Just for clarity, nothing more.

Please continue with the Grinch recognition program :D

Eagle

Gypsy
12-25-2004, 12:43
Christmas is a religious based holiday and the PC crowd and ACLU take exception to that.

Everytime someone wishes me "a happy holiday" I return with MERRY CHRISTMAS. :p I noticed when I made a pit stop in Indiana both driving down and back...they still say Merry Christmas.

Team Sergeant
12-25-2004, 12:47
I have noticed that many of the major retailers are open today!! What a shame.

Perhaps the Govt needs to enact a mandatory "Family Day" and make it illegal to conduct any commercial business on this day! :(

Before we start hanging people maybe we should remember not everyone celebrates Christmas…..

I for one, was always happy to see then open stores on Christmas Day, gave me something to do when I was a single soldier. (I was single eighty percent of my 20 year career.)

Did you say Home Depot is open!!!! ;)

TS

Eagle5US
12-25-2004, 12:51

TS
BWAHAHAHAHAHA
LMAO :D

Eagle

Smokin Joe
12-25-2004, 12:53
Not that I disagree with you about the stores or the family day bit. "CLOSE THEM ALL!" I say, "EMPLOYEES UNITE!!!"
But-allow me to add
The original Christmas was not REALLY the Christian holiday we have come to know in modern times.:eek: It was the Catholic adaptation of a pagan holiday (Winter Solstice celebration in honor of Saturnus) that was used to turn the pagans gently toward the catholic church in Europe. This is why we celebrate Christmas in Dec instead of in the Spring when most all of the recognized religious commuity agrees that Jesus was actually born. Much of the symbolism associated with our modern day Christmas celebration - tree / yule log / gift giving / holly etc...dates back to the time before Christ as props in the pagan rituals.

Eagle

Been reading some Dan Brown? :cool:

Eagle5US
12-25-2004, 13:21
Been reading some Dan Brown? :cool:
Who dat???
Lemme check with my goggley button...I'll get back to ya.

Eagle

Eagle5US
12-25-2004, 13:24
Well, I have'nt read any of his stuff, but I have watched the dsicovery channel regarding the DaVinci code, does that count :D

Eagle

Smokin Joe
12-25-2004, 13:31
Well, I have'nt read any of his stuff, but I have watched the dsicovery channel regarding the DaVinci code, does that count :D

Eagle

Yup sure does. The Da Vinci code is heavy on the Pagan symbology in which you cited.

Its a very good book if you get a chance.

Hmmm wifes away, home depot open. Well I gotta go guys. :D

gits
12-25-2004, 13:39
Before we start hanging people maybe we should remember not everyone celebrates Christmas…..

I for one, was always happy to see then open stores on Christmas Day, gave me something to do when I was a single soldier. (I was single eighty percent of my 20 year career.)

TS

Right we should hang those who celebrate hating Christmas

alphamale
12-25-2004, 16:25
The forces of the free market should determine whether stores are open.

Not any "should" sentence, religious holiday, or anything else.

If people decide to not shop on this one day / year, it won't be economically feasible to keep stores open.

I'm glad movie theaters are open on Holidays because I like going to watch something on the big screen and share popcorn with someone fun (as long as they don't frisk me for a UtB :D )

FrontSight

Kyobanim
12-25-2004, 17:11
But-allow me to add

Eagle

Christmas wasn't celebrated in the New World from the time the Puritains came over until around the 1820s, I believe it was. In fact, the US Congress was in session with congressmen and senators working during this time frame. This was because one of the reasons the Puritains came over here was to get away from the pagan ritual of Christmas that was celebrated in Great Britain.

History channel had a great special on this.

QRQ 30
12-25-2004, 18:31
I don't really care itf you call it religious, anti-religious, neo-religious or whatever. I didn't intend to get into a philisophical/religious discussion.

I still feel that at least one day per year could be set aside for all to celebrate with their families, pseudo-families, anti-families or whatever.

My feelings are for those who have to work. I've BTDT and it sucks.- Don't say its their choice until you check out the unemployment figures.

That being said, Merry Christmas to all of you regardles of religion or other persuasion!!! :rolleyes:

QRQ 30
12-25-2004, 18:36
BTW: I too was single for the first ten years in the army. Even then, I seldom celebrated Christmas and Thanksgiving alone. I was on an A-Team most of the time and that was my family. We barracks were always invited to someone's home for the holiday. I spent most holidays overseas and those in Germany were the most memorable. Bavaria in the winter is the stuff of which Christmas cards are made.

Guy
12-25-2004, 19:10
Lmmfao!

Razor
12-26-2004, 14:24
I'm glad movie theaters are open on Holidays because I like going to watch something on the big screen and share popcorn with someone fun (as long as they don't frisk me for a UtB :D )

FrontSight

What's the matter, is TSA getting fresh in his early puberty phase?

alphamale
12-26-2004, 14:52
What's the matter, is TSA getting fresh in his early puberty phase?Nope. The Shipping Associate is the most well-behaved XY past the age of 12 that I've encountered in a social situation :) .

FrontSight