PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is in Kirksville MO?

mugwump
05-19-2015, 15:47
I've been watching Caracas and the Chinese hammer little Kirksville all day. At one point 10% of the total worldwide net assaults were targeting poor little Kirksville. Trying to get into the Joint Surveillance System?

Sorry I can't make this link live, my iPad crashes if I try, but it's worth a paste.

http://map.norsecorp.com

mugwump
05-19-2015, 15:52
Boom. They just shut down Caracas. Score one for our side.

mugwump
05-19-2015, 15:57
Iran just took over for Venezuela. This is like watching a tennis match.

mugwump
05-19-2015, 17:17
They've stopped with Kirksville and they've moved to hitting St Louis. A security guy said they're trying to get into the EBT/Social Welfare systems. :eek:

Streck-Fu
05-19-2015, 19:47
I don't even know what I am looking at....

mugwump
05-19-2015, 20:16
Sorry...the display shows hacking attacks, the source and targets. The scrolling lists at the bottom detail the target and the ISP source of the attacks.

miclo18d
05-20-2015, 04:13
Sooooooooooo........

Tell me fellas........

How does NorseCorp know that cyber attacks are happening in real time, when no one else on earth can unless they are the one being attacked. If I was being attacked why would I contact NorseCorp instead of the FBI?

This is HorseCorp Puckey

(1VB)compforce
05-20-2015, 05:00
Sooooooooooo........

Tell me fellas........

How does NorseCorp know that cyber attacks are happening in real time, when no one else on earth can unless they are the one being attacked. If I was being attacked why would I contact NorseCorp instead of the FBI?

This is HorseCorp Puckey

NorseCorp puts honeypots in various data centers around the world. The attacks you see on the map are ones where an attacker goes after one of NC's servers. While the map is cool, it's based on servers owned by NC. It's a sampling of the attacks going on.

There are better ones that are based on real data, such as http://cybermap.kaspersky.com/ which is based on reports coming back from their antivirus and intrusion detection software (IDS) that is already installed. Kapersky is #1 annually on the security rankings. It's very expensive and well worth it. The down side is that it's a Russian company so the DoD won't use them. Their adoption rate is much much higher in Europe so their stats are a bit skewed. Mcafee and Norton/Symantec own the US market. That's why the US map appears to be much less hit in the kapersky map.

definition - A honeypot is what it sounds like. It's a server put into place that looks like it would be valuable to a hacker, but which really is meant to either cause the hacker to waste time while the nature of the threat is determined, or which has automated responses to attacks.