PDA

View Full Version : Looking for good insoles

Max Power
12-24-2004, 19:43
Looking for some recommendations on good insoles, what works for you all. I've typically used the issued insoles, but I'm looking to get some better ones. There are just so many options, I'm looking for some recommendations to help narrow it down, from personal experience.

The two that I'm really looking at right at the moment are Superfeet brand insoles, and the new heat moldable insoles being sold at Bragg's clothing and sales (sorry, can't remember brand name off hand). But any recommendations are appreciated.

The Reaper
12-24-2004, 20:03
Looking for some recommendations on good insoles, what works for you all. I've typically used the issued insoles, but I'm looking to get some better ones. There are just so many options, I'm looking for some recommendations to help narrow it down, from personal experience.

The two that I'm really looking at right at the moment are Superfeet brand insoles, and the new heat moldable insoles being sold at Bragg's clothing and sales (sorry, can't remember brand name off hand). But any recommendations are appreciated.

Superfeet or Sole Custom Footbeds. I am wearing the Soles right now.

It has made a bedroom slipper out of my boots.

Acid test will be at the SHOT Show.

TR

Surgicalcric
12-24-2004, 20:44
I use Superfeet in my boots and in my running shoes. There is another medic here at SFQC PH-1A who uses the Sole Custom footbeds who swears by them. I have yet to try them so I will withhold my opinion until after such time.

Alot of the 18X's coming thru here have foot problems due to poor insole choice (Dr Scholls type cushions) or no insole being used, thanks to the DS's at the Ft Benning School for Boys. The situation seems to resolve itself with the use of a footbed.

Are you having problems Max?

Crip

Max Power
12-24-2004, 21:02
Nope, not having any problems. Just looking for something to add an extra level of com fort. Biggest problem I have (which isn't even a problem in my book) is for about the first 1-3 miles of a ruck, my shin burns. It'll go away after a while, or if I run for a few hundred yards it goes away. But after that first instance, it never burns again no matter how far the movement. Like I said, not a problem, just a nuisance.

I could use the regular insoles, but why not be a little more comfortable if you can, right?

Take care.

Surgicalcric
12-25-2004, 00:02
...I could use the regular insoles, but why not be a little more comfortable if you can, right?

Take care.

And place your feet in the proper position in the process. ;)

Crip

BearFlag
12-25-2004, 02:31
Ultimate socks to go w/ ultimate footbed?

The Reaper
12-25-2004, 09:10
Ultimate socks to go w/ ultimate footbed?

That topic has been beaten to death here already.

Use the Search function.

TR

stanley_white
12-25-2004, 15:15
I've always had good luck with Sorbothane insoles. The orange ones (can't remember the exact name) are my favorite.

pbr549xxx
12-30-2004, 17:36
If your at Bragg, the shoe store over by Barnes and Noble book store has a computerized doohicky that can recommend the type of running shoe or insole you need.

gits
12-30-2004, 20:11
I recently got a pair of Superfeet, my feet are starting to feel alot better!

Max Power
12-30-2004, 20:43
Got my delivery of Sole Ultras today (Clothing & Sales is out and won't get anymore for a while). Will heat 'em up and mold them tomorrow. After I've worn them for a while (standard wear, running, rucking since I got a 2 pairs for boots and one for my running shoes) I'll post my thoughts. Looks promising so far.

pbr549xxx
12-31-2004, 16:06
I didnt like the Sole Ultras

Goggles Pizano
12-31-2004, 18:11
Following advice gleaned from the plethora of experience on this site I purchased one pair of SOLE standard footbeds. Within one ruck march my arch pain is subsiding. That was enough for me to purchase three more sets of Ultras (I've used Dr. Scholl since I was 16 and in recent years they had begun to fail me) as I need a bit more support than normal (ortho orders). Of course you will have to test out what works best for you pbr, but I was hooked on the first try. :)

BMT (RIP)
12-31-2004, 18:57
How did us ole FARTS make it thru 20+ years w/o insoles and $300.00 running shoes?

:munchin

BMT

The Reaper
12-31-2004, 20:17
How did us ole FARTS make it thru 20+ years w/o insoles and $300.00 running shoes?

BMT

I don't know, amigo.

How do you feel when you walk long distances now?

TR

12B4S
01-01-2005, 02:25

BMT

Beats me!! We ran every bit of it in regular issue boots and OD socks, in fatigues (that will date me a tad....jeeez). Did the entire time I served. I'll leave out the running with weapon and rucks. Even TDY in Greece for small boat and scout swimmer training we ran 5 miles every morning. One E-7 made a point of donning his Chippewas' to make those runs. For those who don't know what the Chippewa boot is or was..... it was our ski boot (downhill/crosscountry) heavy, biggggg, cloddy...... great boot in the snow though, if ya kept it heavily treated with what we referred to as "whale shit". Hell, he brought those with him for no other reason than for those 5 mi runs every morning. They aren't much good for swimming 3, 5, 7 miles in. :) Which on most days during that month followed the mornin' jog.

Oh BTW to bring this back on thread. the only time I or any of us "customized" our boots was in Tolz. Standing in formation in the winter in the Quad drove us to having the soles "beefed" up. Frickin feet could freeze if ya didn't.......freezing feet in the field is one thing, but dammit not during formations back in the Kaserne. One has to draw a line at some point......... :D

BMT (RIP)
01-01-2005, 04:43
Like a million dollars!!! I don't have any BAD Joints.

BMT

Razor
01-01-2005, 17:38
You're a lucky man, BMT. Having spent far too much time in the local VA hosptial ortho clinic, I see time and again an old soldier nearly crippled from shot knees, ruined ankles, and bad backs, all of which the docs attribute at least partially to running in boots with no arch support. While running in boots and equipment can be done (and should be, from time to time for the training effect), training with the proper equipment to reduce the potential for injury is a good thing IMHO.

Air.177
01-22-2005, 20:41
I picked up a pair of the Green Superfeet yesterday and I am pleased with them so far in my Danner Arcadias.

bberkley
01-23-2005, 00:26
Haven't tried these yet, was considering getting the medical-series for my wife.

http://www.oregonaero.com/p109_04.html

Peregrino
01-23-2005, 19:34
This was a timely thread, just finished a PM with The Reaper about new footgear. Probably could have used the info earlier. BBerkley - Thanks for the OregonAero weblink. What I really needed (and you helped me get without sweating the details) was a link for their BLSS helmet suspension system. That is the heat, wish it wasn't so pricey. If the insole is anything like their helmet pads it ought to be pretty good. I've had a set of the insoles since the 2002 SOF Conference (promo giveaway) that I've never used, seemed too much like the Dr, Scholl's stuff that doesn't work for me any more. Guess I'll finally have to try them out. Since my flat feet are now certified by the VA I guess I should be taking better care of them (and by inference, everything else connected). FWIW - Peregrino

BearFlag
01-29-2005, 01:43
I just got my SOLE Custom Footbeds i the mail yesterday, and am wearing them in a pair of new New Balance 991's. So far they are awesome, IMO leaps and bounds above Super Feet.

As a side note I have been using "WrightSocks", which are dual layer coolmax thin socks, and those work like a champ as well, even when I was out in cold and wet climates where my feet were constantly soaked, they somehow managed to not get blisters, although my feet got "wet" from being submerged, they never got wrinkled, red, or blistery, when I took em out it was more like a fine layer of sweat from a run... A++

I think w/ my above combo i should be able to run much farther with considerably less sucking.

"CAST or TAB"
08-17-2007, 23:19
I know these are old posts but I still wanted to say thanks to everyone who put in info or opinions about their choice insoles. I intend to try the superfeet and sole customs and see what works best. Amazing what you can do with a search button.

Thanks again for the site and info gentlemen.

peepee1
10-03-2007, 10:37
I have tried the SOF soles and various other soles. Crip put me on the Super Feet as well as a doctor I know (foot doc :D). He stated they were the best soles out mainly due to the fact that they do not allow your feet to flatten out (ie: most soles collapse when just REGULAR body weight is applied) and the Super Feet do not. You can go to their web site and read about the technology... For me, after about 3 weeks of rucking (light 55-65lb) 4-5 times per week with varying distances (6 miles-12 miles), THEY ARE A CHARM and I am completely sold on them. Im about to do as Crip did and put them in my running shoes as well. Just my .02 cents gents... I humbly stand down. On to browsing!
Peepee#1

systaltic
12-26-2007, 17:43
Following advice gleaned from the plethora of experience on this site I purchased one pair of SOLE standard footbeds. Within one ruck march my arch pain is subsiding... :)

The Background :munchin:
Last week I did a 04:27:21 (add 30 min of break time after mile 10) movement to complete ~18.3 miles. (Yes, a nature walk for the QP's. I'm just providing a scope.) I used a Belleville Desert platform with Dr. Scholes active work insoles.

The Problem :(:
On mile 5 and right before mile 15, my left arch hyperextended. What is this crap?!? The sensation was an extremely annoying shot of pain that crippled my stride for about 20min each time.

The Question :confused::
I've rucked for 4.5 years now and have never experienced this. Not even with the ISSUE black boots from ROTC in the woods of Bragg or while beating Airborne boot on Benning asphalt. SOLE, Superfeet or a tampon? After visiting both sites, I'm thinking about flipping a coin.

Books
12-28-2007, 17:04
What kind of terrain where you on at mile 5 and 15 that elicited such an apparently non-characteristic response in your feet? What were you doing? What made it better? Anything make it worse? Describe the pain/sensation. Was it a tearing feeling or was it an electric one?

I don't think I've ever done anything in the Army that didn't at least suck a little bit.

I'm thinking Superfeet, some vitamin M and a tampon.

dmgedgoods
12-28-2007, 19:22
...and a tampon.

Oh man. I'm trying to clean all the juice off my screen that I ejected from my nose. Hilarity ensues at PS.com.

Shawn

systaltic
12-28-2007, 20:51
What kind of terrain...

I'm thinking Superfeet, some vitamin M and a tampon....

1. The entire course was hilly road/sidewalk.

2. The first time it happened I was moving through an area darker than hell, beset on both sides with trees/foilage and no moonlight at all. I was not paying attention to my strides (I was more concerned with the shady homeless people eyeing me as I intruded on their turf). The second time, I know for a fact that I landed the foot flat rather than heel first.

3. The pain went away after rucking more. Counterintuitive, but true. I just kept going, but focused on allowing the foot to strike heel first, then rolling along the outside edge and completeing the motion with the toe box. After a while, it went away.

4. Nothing made it worse. The feeling was electric every time. Here's a good one: When you stretch a hamstring, you know that there is a range of motion. You stretch carelessly, it tightens painfully. But after a long, calculated stretch, you find that it is possible to surpass that initial range. That shock, that feeling of "WTF OVER!" is what my foot screamed with every subsequent step.

Thanks for any insight. I'm putting a halt to long marches with boots until I find a fix that is worht the risk.

f50lrrp
12-29-2007, 11:32

BMT

I wore the mesh insoles in my jungle boots that were supposed to stop punji stakes but in fact collected mud. I even had a pair of JBs that had a bare foot print for a sole.

DOL,

cold1
12-29-2007, 19:14
No rucking, no running, just daily pounding on concrete floors in work boots. My feet are fine, my back OTOH is another story.
Could insoles help with that?

Thank you.

Books
12-30-2007, 13:25
No rucking, no running, just daily pounding on concrete floors in work boots. My feet are fine, my back OTOH is another story.
Could insoles help with that?

Thank you.

Yep. I worked steel decks for two years on ships and found superfeet to be life savers. Fixed my feet, knees and lower back. If the $35 dollar insoles and stretching don't work, talk to your Dr.

Books
12-30-2007, 13:48
First off, lest there be any confusion, I am not a Doc, a PA or a foot expert. I have walked far less than many on this board. I'm a new 18D who, knowing that joints tend to be injured in this line of work, spends a bit of time thinking about these things. I haven't seen your foot, how you walk, etc and this in no way constitutes a diagnosis. As with all things, consider the source.

1. Get off the road/sidewalk if you can. Trails/cross country require greater mobility in your feet and ankles and, over time, will strengthen your entire foot. Walking on asphalt both requires less movement in your foot and transmits greater energy back through your body/joints. Plus, you get the illusion of moving fast (no obstacles).

2. Dude, I thought I was poetically inclined. "Darker than Hell. . . Beset on both sides. . . that kills me.

Seriously, sounds like a nerve injury, created by ligaments shifting in your foot from a bad stride. As they shift back, the pain goes away. If it becomes constant, consider tarsal tunnel compression syndrome (carpal tunnel for the feet), wherein repetative motion elicits pain.

Rucking shouldnt be a pain free experience; all the advice is how to mitigate what pain there is. It isnt natural to walk great distances with a lot of weight (oh, don't train with greater than 50-55 pounds). So, when it hurts, you should expect that. If your hands dont swell up, your shoulders and feet hurt, then you might not be doing it right.

Have fun and go talk to a podiatrist if this keeps up.

jbour13
12-30-2007, 14:54
Books,

Thanks for the insight and sharing your knowledge.

Anyone in the Bragg area know any direct sales of Superfeet. I don't mind internet sales, but prefer person to person if possible.

Thanks ahead of time.

Surgicalcric
12-30-2007, 15:20
...Anyone in the Bragg area know any direct sales of Superfeet...

Patriot Outfitters in Spring Lake
General Jacksons on Yadkin...

jbour13
12-30-2007, 15:47
Patriot Outfitters in Spring Lake
General Jacksons on Yadkin...

Thanks Cric

GratefulCitizen
12-30-2007, 16:06
If you have a choice between running/walking on concrete or asphalt, choose the asphalt.
It will make a big difference.

If your home is built on a concrete slab, wear shoes while in the house.
Most carpet padding is woefully insufficient.

If it's plantar fasciitis, it'll take a year to heal. Not fun.

If you have the option, when walking/standing on concrete (or tile-covered concrete) for long periods, wear a pair of Wolverine Trappeur Hikers.
They've done much to save my feet/ankles/knees/hips/back.
(They come in 6" and 8" heights, I prefer the 8").

systaltic
12-30-2007, 20:09
Dude, I thought I was poetically inclined. "Darker than Hell. . . Beset on both sides. . . that kills me.

I can't help it anymore. I've been writing papers non-stop for four years now. It does it all on its own.

I certainly appreciate the advice. There is a superfeet vendor 5min away from my apartment. I'm going to invest heartily on good foot products and start training on cross-country courses more often. Another problem may be my hobbie. I play raquetball for hours at a time, several days a week. The stress caused by fast-shifts, quick sprints, and other aggressive movements tightened my feet as well.

I think that your advice, coupled with the moderation of my court play, and regular periods of stretching will help to relax my lower extremities. Thanks again.

cold1
12-30-2007, 22:07
Thank you Books

That Guy v2.0
01-10-2008, 14:40
Another vote for the Sole foot beds.

I had a pair that I forgot about and just recently put them into my shoes. My knees, legs and feet feel much better now while rucking.

For a little background I'm at 70lbs dry weight with the Soles in a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3d's*. With my old inserts I felt like 70lbs was pushing it and not in a good way. With the Soles I feel like I could get in another 10lbs maybe.

Another great advantage of the Sole is that it is heat moldable to your feet but not at the cost of a true custom footbed from an ortho.

The only disadvantage to the Soles is the material next to your foot is very rough. I like to run, ruck and workout without socks because my Salomon's are so comfortable. Now blisters and hot spots are a serious issue for me. But this is minor in comparison to the positives listed above.

Link for the Soles:
http://www2.yoursole.com/why_sole/

*I'll be sending a pair of Jungles out soon to Clark's to have them tricked out and will probably buy another pair of Sole's for those as well.

Razor
01-10-2008, 15:32
For a little background I'm at 70lbs dry weight with the Soles in a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3d's*.

If by this you mean that you're regularly rucking 70lbs dry, you might want to start putting your med files aside for your retirement disability claim now.

The Reaper
01-10-2008, 15:42
Agreed.

How many times have we told people to stick with the program, as directed?

TR

Mel
01-11-2008, 23:44
Hey guys, this is an interesting thread that is kinda in my lane, so I thought I would comment on this insole issue. I don't do any rucking of the sorts you hardcore guys do, but I am under a ruck almost every day working for Kifaru. I've pretty much used all the insoles mentioned in this thread, but none of them come close to the comfort of the custom footbeds from Lathrop and Sons. These things are not cheap by any means, but when you think about it, everything that has to do with walking, running, and carrying heavy loads, starts with the feet. If the feet go, you're pretty much done. I figure you can't really put a price on keeping your feet happy. The guys at Lathrop and Sons are great to deal with, and are podiatrists by trade. They import the Hanwag boots (I use the SF model), and build their own custom footbeds. These guys know about feet, trust me on that. Here's a link to their footbeds:

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/24/products_id/46

I used Oregon Aero insoles at the 2005 Battan March, and paid the price dearly with tore up feet after the 26 miles. The problem I had with them was no arch support (they are flat). Also, the surface seemed a little slippery, which caused a lot of friction. I've had good luck with the green Superfeet, which I have found to be about the best off the shelf insoles. I have them in a couple of my boots/shoes that I have for everyday use. When it comes time to hike and ruck over long distances, I only use the Lathrop footbeds. I have a set in my Vasque trail runners, and in my Hanwag SF boots. IMHO they are the Cadillac of insoles. Give the guys at Lathrop a call (618-544-8782), and they can answer any technical questions you may have on feet, boots, and insoles. Ask for Stephen or Dusty.

Mel

Razor
01-12-2008, 01:45
Mel, good to see you here again!

The Reaper
01-12-2008, 09:24
Mel:

Good to hear from you.

Holy cow, Batman, $155 for a set of insoles???:eek:

Wow. And Ouch!

TR

Mel
01-12-2008, 12:45
Hey Razor & Reaper, how you guys doing? I know what you mean about the price of those insoles, but it is the best $155.00 I've spent (twice!) in awhile. You gotta put it in perspective though. It's all about priorities, as you know, there are many guys that will drop that much easily in one night at a tittie bar:D.

Mel

Ambush Master
01-12-2008, 13:07
Mel!!!

Good to hear from'ya!! Am looking forward to seeing'ya in a few weeks!!!:D

Take care
Martin

peepee1
01-23-2010, 08:55
I stumbled across something lately. The Army will pay for one pair of custom insoles per year. Here is how you get them.
Go to the clinic and tell the PA you want insoles. He will then set up an appointment for you with the Brace Shop on base. When you arrive at the Brace Shop, they will try and give you some POS foam insoles. Tell them you don't want them and need custom insoles. They will then have the Doctor in the Brace Shop sign a form(this takes several days) and when that is done they will have you come back in and pick that form up and direct you to an office a few doors down to schedule your appointment. When that is done, you will go off base to a private business... they will have you step in some stuff which feels like Georgia red clay... and within one week you'll have them. They will allow you to replace them yearly on your own through the office your appointment was set up through. They cost around $400 and they are great. It's a pain in the ass but just thought I would share this. :munchin

MtnGoat
01-23-2010, 14:17
I stumbled across something lately. The Army will pay for one pair of custom insoles per year. Here is how you get them.
Go to the clinic and tell the PA you want insoles. He will then set up an appointment for you with the Brace Shop on base. When you arrive at the Brace Shop, they will try and give you some POS foam insoles. Tell them you don't want them and need custom insoles. They will then have the Doctor in the Brace Shop sign a form(this takes several days) and when that is done they will have you come back in and pick that form up and direct you to an office a few doors down to schedule your appointment. When that is done, you will go off base to a private business... they will have you step in some stuff which feels like Georgia red clay... and within one week you'll have them. They will allow you to replace them yearly on your own through the office your appointment was set up through. They cost around $400 and they are great. It's a pain in the ass but just thought I would share this. :munchin

This is true, but just have your Team Medic set up an appt with BN PA or DOC and they will set up an Appt with the post Ortho foot clinic. Once there they will take care of you. Here on Bragg They set me off post and had a local clinic do up two Sport insoles. It has helped out with my fasciitis.