PDA

View Full Version : If at first you don't succeed...

Doc
12-24-2004, 07:43
Democrat Widens Lead in Washington Governor's Race

Thu Dec 23,11:40 PM ET Top Stories - Reuters

By Reed Stevenson

SEATTLE (Reuters) - Democrat Christine Gregoire expanded her lead over Republican Dino Rossi to 130 votes to win the race for Washington state governor in a recount seven weeks after the election, officials said on Thursday.

King County, a Democratic stronghold that includes Seattle, finished tallying most of its previously uncounted votes on Thursday, boosting Gregoire's lead over Rossi from 10 votes to 130 votes.

"We're thrilled," said Kirstin Brost, Gregoire's spokeswoman, "This has been a long time coming and it was absolutely well worth the effort."

The results have not yet been certified. Washington Secretary of State Sam Reed is expected to do so on Dec. 30.

Gregoire, the state's attorney general, held off declaring victory but said she had gathered a transition team to prepare to take up the governor's post in Olympia, the state capitol.

"It is time for this race and this election to be over," Gregoire told reporters and supporters.

Officials from Rossi's campaign were not immediately available for comment.

Gregoire came back after falling behind Rossi in the first of two machine recounts since the Nov. 2 election. After an unprecedented hand recount paid for by the Democratic Party, Gregoire took a 10-vote lead earlier this week.

After an order by the state Supreme Court, King County tallied previously uncounted ballots.

The final result is expected to be challenged in court by the Republican Party, which argued that previously uncounted votes should not have been included in the final tally.

Rossi, a real estate agent, led the governor's race, although the second machine recount narrowed his lead over Gregoire from 261 votes to just 42 out of a total 2.8 million votes cast.

Chris Vance, chairman of Washington state's Republican Party, said earlier the party would fight to include hundreds of votes that were wrongly rejected in other counties.

An extended court battle over the election could mean the outcome will remain unresolved even after the January inauguration. Democratic Gov. Gary Locke, who decided not to run for re-election, would have to remain in office.

After the first two recounts, Democrats agreed to cover the cost of more than $700,000 for the hand recount. Under election rules, the state will reimburse the money if the recount reverses the tally.

The final tally showed Gregoire received 1,373,362 votes, while Rossi took 1,373,232. Libertarian Party candidate Ruth Bennett got 63,465 votes.

The Reaper
12-24-2004, 07:53
Keep counting (and finding "lost" ballots) till you get the results you want.

TR

Gypsy
12-24-2004, 08:03
Democrat Widens Lead in Washington Governor's Race

Gregoire came back after falling behind Rossi in the first of two machine recounts since the Nov. 2 election. After an unprecedented hand recount paid for by the Democratic Party, Gregoire took a 10-vote lead earlier this week.

After the first two recounts, Democrats agreed to cover the cost of more than $700,000 for the hand recount. Under election rules, the state will reimburse the money if the recount reverses the tally.

The final tally showed Gregoire received 1,373,362 votes, while Rossi took 1,373,232. Libertarian Party candidate Ruth Bennett got 63,465 votes.

Where's my calculator....ok here we go, $700K divided by 130 votes....wow what an expensive "purchase". :rolleyes:

Goggles Pizano
12-24-2004, 23:09
I concur TR. Sounds like 2000 in Florida all over again. "I'm gonna count these votes until I win! Uh....over and over and over again until I win.......Ok maybe I lost, but Bush STOLE the election!"

Sheesh!

Bravo1-3
12-24-2004, 23:51
And it isn't over yet.

The Washington Supreme Court issued a ruling the other day that leaves the door open for the GOP to demand that ballots excluded in other counties be counted too.

This gal opened pandoras box, and bitched and moaned the whole time. Now she's going to change her tune come Saturday morning when the GOP hits up the remaining counties to count any excluded ballots using the DNC's own standard.

Here's the funny part: Washington went Kerry by 10%, they re-elected one of the most leftist Senators ever to sit by a 15% margin, and 6 out of 9 House seats went to Democrats by margins of better than 5%. It's not that Washington doesn't want a DEMOCRAT for Governor, it's that Washington doesn't want this silly bitch as Governor.

Goggles Pizano
12-24-2004, 23:55
And it isn't over yet.

It's not that Washington doesn't want a DEMOCRAT for Governor, it's that Washington doesn't want this silly bitch as Governor.

That's gonna leave a mark! LOL! Call 'em like you see 'em B1-3!

Bravo1-3
12-25-2004, 01:28
That's gonna leave a mark! LOL! Call 'em like you see 'em B1-3!

Heh, where's Pulque to tell me why I'm wrong? :lifter