PDA

View Full Version : 100 years of Anzac

frostfire
04-24-2015, 22:23
24 April 2015. 100 years commemoration. A tip of the hat to our Aussies and Kiwis brothers. Lest we forget the cost of war.

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ... You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well." ~Ataturk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZqN1glz4JY

Divemaster
04-25-2015, 00:32
I've had a number of friends over the years from Oz and NZ. ANZAC Day has always been a very big deal. I only hope the 100th anniversary of D-Day is so honored.

On a somewhat related note, ever notice the big commemorations of VE Day (May 8) and VJ Day (Sep 2)? Me either. Why not? Is it because the vanquished countries are now allies?

Flagg
04-25-2015, 06:17
Great day remembering The Fallen way down here.

Huge turnouts, followed by great times with old friends and spending time with Vets who've gone before us.

ANZAC Day down here has been growing from strength to strength for a number of years, as well as in Turkey at the key sites.

But having been at the 70th Anniversary of D-Day last year. That was just epic. Words fail to describe that experience. But it redefined the word freedom to me.

The 75th is going to be a don't miss date, hopefully some of the Orginals are still with us.

Scimitar
04-25-2015, 16:52
They're saying 30,000 turned out at the Auckland War Memorial Museum Dawn Parade.

3% of the population turning out at dawn on the Saturday of a long weekend.

Good to see!

S

Dive08
04-26-2015, 18:52
nt