PDA

View Full Version : USAR Assistance

Hoosier90
04-13-2015, 11:04
Doesn't seem to be any info out there regarding my scenario, but I'd find it hard to believe I'm the only one.

I signed a 6x2 with the USAR. I completed the first 6 without issue and transferred to IRR, where I'll be for another year. For the last 4 years, I've been trying to move to the NG for the SFRE/SFAS route, first by way of a 368 (apparently all 3 were lost in the mail), then by way of NG enlistment after my IRR move. The day my IRR transfer orders took effect (almost a year ago now), I began a reenlistment pack with the NG to get on with them. First recruiter went months without contact, only offered updates when I called to ask, and we got nowhere in over 6 months. I had to drop 3 MEPS medical packs because they kept expiring. Began with a different recruiter about 4 or 5 months ago. I've now filled out MEPS packets number 4 and 5 without luck, still haven't been accepted for exams, and recruiter number 2 said I've been denied because I don't have an RE code as I'm not actually discharged yet (I've learned I have no RE code/DD214/DD256 because I had no active duty time outside IET). Without letting emotion take over the rest of my post, is there anyone with some solid NG recruiter info that could help enlighten me? I know for a fact this transfer is bureaucratically possible. Seems to me that actively pursuing a contract for 12 months should yield some results, but it's unclear if I have a MEPS issue or a recruiter issue. PM's welcome if you need more background info.

The Reaper
04-13-2015, 13:07
This is not an SF question as much as it is a Guard-Reserve question.

Best of luck to you regardless.

TR

Hoosier90
04-13-2015, 13:42
This is not an SF question as much as it is a Guard-Reserve question.

Best of luck to you regardless.

TR

Thank you, sir. I figure it wouldn't be too unrealistic to find someone who's lived out this process on here. My intent is to get selected through the 19th SFG, both recruiters came on recommendation from 2/19th after I attended their SFRE in 2013 so I feel more or less out of options. This is probably relevant info as well.

HardRoad
04-13-2015, 19:22
What state's NGSF are you trying to join - I'm guessing A/2/20 in Illinois?

FWIW, my advice is to get in touch with the SF unit you're looking to join first. If I remember correctly, NG recruiters are like AD recruiters in that they don't get credit for moving someone from the reserve to the Guard. That means you're at the bottom of their priority list, and if someone has to fall off of their plate, you'll be that guy.

All the SF NG units I know about have a dedicated recruiter they work with, who will make sure that the right paper gets pushed. A/2/20 used to have regular tryouts - if they still do, and you attend and pass one, their full-time staff will work with you to make the transfer happen. I'd suggest calling them, or whichever state you're looking to move to., and let them get you to the right recruiter.

Hoosier90
04-14-2015, 08:52
What state's NGSF are you trying to join - I'm guessing A/2/20 in Illinois?

FWIW, my advice is to get in touch with the SF unit you're looking to join first. If I remember correctly, NG recruiters are like AD recruiters in that they don't get credit for moving someone from the reserve to the Guard. That means you're at the bottom of their priority list, and if someone has to fall off of their plate, you'll be that guy.

All the SF NG units I know about have a dedicated recruiter they work with, who will make sure that the right paper gets pushed. A/2/20 used to have regular tryouts - if they still do, and you attend and pass one, their full-time staff will work with you to make the transfer happen. I'd suggest calling them, or whichever state you're looking to move to., and let them get you to the right recruiter.

The goal is to get on with 2/19th, I've been in contact and visited a couple of times.

As for priority, I wasn't aware that they aren't credited for the enlistment, but I have been told before that I'm on the back burner (this from recruiter #2) behind the other NG applicants so it makes sense. I've been hacking at it with the "squeaky wheel" mentality but I haven't made progress with that avenue.

I was only permitted to attend their SFRE in 2013 with permission from my USAR commander, but I won't be allowed to return to the 19th unless I'm actively drilling for liability reasons.

A/2/20 is about the same distance from me, but I don't want to exercise that option just yet.