PDA

View Full Version : Spicey Eggplant Parmesan


JJ_BPK
04-08-2015, 18:20
OK, I tried a small experiment.

JJ's Spicy Eggplant Parmesan


1 med eggplant, sliced 3/4inch
4 oz mushrooms
4 slices Monterrey Jack, w/jalapeno peppers
6 oz marinara
6 oz spicy salsa



dip eggplant in Italian bread crumbs, no egg wash
lightly pan fry in olive oil, 1/2 cooked
combine all and layer in a 9x9 glass dish
bake @ 220 deg 4 hrs
cook some pasta


I love the old fashion baked Eggplant Parmesan, but wanted to try to spice it up. Turned out fantastic.. :lifter

The picture may look dark, that is because I like to slow cook the sauce so the sugar gets a chance to caramelize.

Lionshare
04-08-2015, 18:36
.

JJ_BPK
04-08-2015, 18:44
I'm sure the picture doesn't do it justice...it looks great and sounds even better :munchin.

How much did that run you $$ wise?

Jake

Not a lot, maybe 7-8.. I'll get 2 meals out of it, as I used veggie dishes to skip meat meals. I try to skip meat 3-4 days a week. Keeps my cardiologist happy..

Sohei
04-08-2015, 19:14
That looks outstanding!

I can only imagine how good it was. It's been a while since I have had that...glad you posted it...now it will give me something to try soon. ;)

Team Sergeant
04-09-2015, 11:59
OK, I tried a small experiment.

JJ's Spicy Eggplant Parmesan

bake @ 220 deg 4 hrs
cook some pasta


Looks nice!

I think you'll get the caramelization you're looking for with a higher heat and much less cooking time.

Next time try 350 for an hour or hour and half. Or 350 for hour and then a quick broil on top.

You might also want to try a spicy ratatouille sometime!

JJ_BPK
04-09-2015, 12:06
TS,

I use the lower temp so I don't need to mother it. If I walk off for a couple hours, I don't come back to a burned pot..

I also will occasionally start preparing dinner when I get up at the 5 AM,, I use the oven like a big crock pot..

When doing meat, I'm just the opposite,, 600 deg, 2min each side.. :D

Team Sergeant
04-09-2015, 12:11
TS,

I use the lower temp so I don't need to mother it. If I walk off for a couple hours, I don't come back to a burned pot..

I also will occasionally start preparing dinner when I get up at the 5 AM,, I use the oven like a big crock pot..

When doing meat, I'm just the opposite,, 600 deg, 2min each side.. :D

They make these things called "timers"..... and they work great for me....:D

Just trying to help a Brother out.;)

JJ_BPK
04-09-2015, 12:18
They make these things called "timers"..... and they work great for me....
Just trying to help a Brother out.

I have a 2 minute timer.
It was a gift from the undertaker..
Not sure why??
He doesn't sell eggs???

:D:D:D:D

Gypsy
04-09-2015, 19:15
That's sounds like a very yummy and interesting twist on the recipe!