PDA

View Full Version : Suppressor Purchases on the WEB??

JJ_BPK
04-03-2015, 06:27
I found a NFA dealer here in Melbourne that has some inventory, but probably will need to purchase online and have the product transfer to the local NFA dealer.

Via suggestions, I'll be using Colonial Armory. Their net prices beat SilencerShop.com on all items.

Q????

What are your experiences with transfers, costs, timing, form filing??

What is a reasonable charge for a incoming transfer to your local shop?

What is the process?

Thanks
JJ

MR2
04-03-2015, 08:18
I've heard several comments from local dealers that SilencerShop.com is an untrustworthy actor. Could be sour grapes and competitive bias or there could be something to it. All I know.

I've found that going direct to the MFG or finding the local dealer representative can get you below dealer pricing if you are SF or active SOF, etc.

The Reaper
04-03-2015, 10:11
I used SilencerShop for a purchase and transfer to a local dealer and had no issues with them.

They were completely above board and helpful, AFAIK.

The BATF, on the other hand, took their sweet time in processing routine paperwork.

About ten weeks to approve the transfer of the NFA item to my local dealer, and seven more months to approve the transfer to me from the dealer.

TR

Oldrotorhead
04-03-2015, 10:21
I too have purchased through the Silencer Shop (X3) I had minor issues with communications , otherwise their services were very good. I live in Texas so shipping was to me directly with no second FFL involved. They pay shipping so the only extra cost you should have would be from the local FFL you use.

koz
04-03-2015, 13:08
People don't like Silercershop as they were the ones who were doing "batch processing" of Form 3's (sending 1000 forms in at a time) and it ruined it for everyone else. Their mentality was -they found a way to work within the system, not doing anything illegal, it's just business.

They're not untrustworthy.

I suggested Colonial Armory. Steve was a Ranger and will treat .mil folks well (even if they didn't retire and just got out). I'd recommend anyone in the market to at least check his prices. (email
(colonialarmoryllc@gmail.com))
Form 3's are taking about 30-45 days
Form 4's are about 4 months. The last one I had approved was sent 3DEC14 and approved 5MAR15. They did delay sending the paperwork as it arrived 20MAR.

For the last several months, 4 months is about the norm.

Transfer cost vary from low end of NFA item $35 to high end $100-110 per item. I think $50 is a fair cost. Another thing to consider is if you're buying several cans over the next year or so, let the dealer know, he may give you a brake. I once bought three cans and the dealer charged me $100 per can even though the transfer took place at the same time. Many dealers will set one price for first transfer then reduce for additional transfers to encourage future business.

Make sure you make arrangements with the local FFL/SOT and ensure he knows the items are coming.

Team Sergeant
04-03-2015, 16:06
I used SilencerShop for a purchase and transfer to a local dealer and had no issues with them.

TR

Ditto!!!

JJ_BPK
04-04-2015, 06:01
Transfer cost vary from low end of NFA item $35 to high end $100-110 per item. I think $50 is a fair cost. Another thing to consider is if you're buying several cans over the next year or so, let the dealer know, he may give you a brake. I once bought three cans and the dealer charged me $100 per can even though the transfer took place at the same time. Many dealers will set one price for first transfer then reduce for additional transfers to encourage future business.

Make sure you make arrangements with the local FFL/SOT and ensure he knows the items are coming.

Good point about asking for a the "volume discount",,

I currently want:
1)Sparrow 22lr, for my 10/22 & pistols
2)Omega, for the Grendel & 5.56
3)9mm??

I have one each 45ACP pistol & revolver, with no threads,, probably skip 45 for now.

In looking at the various 9mm & 45 cal cans I don't see anything that jumps out as a quiet can. Most reduce down to the 135db-145db level, while a good 5.56 & 7.62 is in the 130db range.

The Silencerco Osprey 9 looks good,, but I am temped to get a dedicated 5.56 can instead??

Opine..

MR2
04-04-2015, 07:33
opine

I've ordered the SilencerCo Sparrow and Omega. Going w OSS for the bigger stuff.

For pistols I will consider the SilencerCo Octane9 and Octane45.

Would like to consider Dead Air once they get production (and customer service) going. They will probably not introduce 9/40/45 pistol cans until 2017.

JJ_BPK
04-04-2015, 08:48
Interesting video of a guy firing 22lr, 9mm, 45ACP inside his house.
Just happen to be using the cans I'm looking at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2GchQ3orB0#t=11

PS: Wish I lived where I could fire out the windows. :lifter

tom kelly
04-04-2015, 17:53
Purchased a silencer from Advanced - Armament.com had it sent to my local FFL dealer in Philadelphia, PA. & he transfered it to me for $25.00. To obtain the silencer I had to have the forms 1 & 4 signed by the Phila. Police Commissoner and The BTAF sent 2 agents over to the roundhouse ( where the Commisoner's office is located) to check on the validity of his signature on the copy of the form-4 and confirmed that he actually signed it.The advantage of having an AA silence model Ti-Rant-45-S is that you can swap out the piston in the silencer and use the same silencer on a variety of weapons and calibers. The entire process took 10 months. The longest period of time was the 8 months that it took the NFA office in Martinsburg,W VA. to approve & send me the stamp this took 8 months. The reason for the delay I was informed that The NFA Branch in W VA. has very few people doing the approvals. Regard's tom kelly
P S. The silencer cost $800.00 incl. the transfer and the NFA stamp was $200.00. The interchangeable pistons cost $50.00 each if ordered direct from the manufacture by a FFL dealer.

koz
04-05-2015, 08:55
Purchased a silencer from Advanced - Armament.com had it sent to my local FFL dealer in Philadelphia, PA. & he transfered it to me for $25.00. To obtain the silencer I had to have the forms 1 & 4 signed by the Phila. Police Commissoner and The BTAF sent 2 agents over to the roundhouse ( where the Commisoner's office is located) to check on the validity of his signature on the copy of the form-4 and confirmed that he actually signed it.The advantage of having an AA silence model Ti-Rant-45-S is that you can swap out the piston in the silencer and use the same silencer on a variety of weapons and calibers. The entire process took 10 months. The longest period of time was the 8 months that it took the NFA office in Martinsburg,W VA. to approve & send me the stamp this took 8 months. The reason for the delay I was informed that The NFA Branch in W VA. has very few people doing the approvals. Regard's tom kelly
P S. The silencer cost $800.00 incl. the transfer and the NFA stamp was $200.00. The interchangeable pistons cost $50.00 each if ordered direct from the manufacture by a FFL dealer.

If you do a Trust or a LLC/Corp, there is no Police/Chief LEO signature for now (there is a potential change).

NFA branch has hired a lot of new examiners (I think they're up to 20-30 plus some supervisors that can sign forms).

JJ_BPK
04-24-2015, 07:56
The wait begins...

OK, 1st Form 4 submitted for an AAC Element 2 can.

The local SOT had both the Sparrow SS and Element 2. It came to price,, also as I will not be a hi-volume shooter, ease of cleaning not so hi on MUST list. AND there was a coupon from AAC..

Still looking at the Silencerco Omega with direct thread.

Q: Some have opined that direct thread is better:
1)more secured
2)lighter
3)less POI shift

Any yay's or nay's??

NEWS: ATF will have form 3 & $ on the web this year..
http://silencernews.com/atf-eform-4-coming-back-late-2015/

Thank you for registering for ATF's eForms system.

Your User ID is XXXXXXXX00000000.

Please use this User ID and the password you created upon registration to access the eForms system.