PDA

View Full Version : Army Special Operations Sniper Competition

The Reaper
03-28-2015, 18:07
Congrats to the participants and sponsors from the Sniper Competition.

Great to meet those who attended!

Well done all, especially SF Sniper Committee and SFA Chapter 62.

TR

frostfire
03-28-2015, 19:07
Amazing non-DOD and international participations too including Kazakhstan and the always-cool Deutschen :cool:
As TR said, well done SF sniper committee

Always great to see the usual suspects.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48485

Irish_Army01
03-29-2015, 04:09
Are the results out yet?

The Reaper
03-29-2015, 09:08
Are the results out yet?

Yep. Awards banquet was Friday night.

TR

Irish_Army01
03-31-2015, 03:07
Yep. Awards banquet was Friday night.

TR

I contacted one of the Irish competitors who gave me the results..;)

Congrats to the Unit who won and well done to all who took part ...

You guys are top Snipers at running the event also.

longrange1947
03-31-2015, 07:17
Good seeing you at the banquet Reaper.

I did find the historical time line of the Competition interesting; not factual, but interesting. :munchin :D

DJ Urbanovsky
04-02-2015, 12:34
Man, what an amazing time.

TR, great spending some quality time with you, buddy. Longrange1947, you too, as I was exfilling.

The Reaper
04-02-2015, 12:40
Good seeing you at the banquet Reaper.

I did find the historical time line of the Competition interesting; not factual, but interesting. :munchin :D

Great seeing you as well, hermano.

You mean that they didn't mention Parker's role in ending it?

TR

longrange1947
04-02-2015, 14:09
That and the idea that it was SFA's idea to run it in the first place.

Irish_Army01
10-23-2015, 11:43
Well done to all who took part in the competition :lifter

MtnGoat
10-23-2015, 21:55
That and the idea that it was SFA's idea to run it in the first place.

This year, or period LR1947??

Congrats to the participants and Winners!!

longrange1947
10-25-2015, 10:50
Period, the original idea to run a comp was kicking around for several years, but it took Mark Carey, NCOIC at the time, to bring it to fruition.

General Parker kanked it after two or three runs, CRS, and then it came back on line after Parker left with a push from the then NCOIC, Sean Kirkwood.

It then took Mark Carey and his Chapter to really bring in the sponsors as the Main SFA dropped the ball big time.

Don't get me wrong, SFA, Chapter 62 is a big help and major worker with the comp.

Papa Zero Three
10-25-2015, 15:38
The Irish Won it.
3/75 took 2nd
USMC took 3rd

Found here: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/defence-forces-win-international-sniper-competition-1.2404120

A Special Forces unit with the Defence Forces has won an international sniper competition in the United States.

The Army Ranger Wing won both the international and overall categories in the United States Sniper Competition in Fort Benning, Georgia.

The competition took place over four days in marsh and bush lands, encompassing 16 individual challenges.

Tests include a sniper stalk, movement shoots by day and night, obstacles courses, pistol shoots, stress shoots and unknown distance shoots.

36 other teams

There was competition from 36 other teams drawn from the US military, international military and US state and federal law enforcement. This is the first time an international team has won both the overall and international competition categories.
Defence Forces chief of staff vice admiral Mark Mellett said the win was “testament to the hard training and resolve” of the unit.

Other teams entered included the US rangers, airborne, Marine corps and mountain divisions, the FBI Swat team, and teams from Britain, Canada, Germany and Denmark.

Last year, the previous Defence Forces sniper champions, the 27th Infantry Battalion from Aiken Barracks, Dundalk, came second in the international category and placed 21st overall.

The Army Ranger Wing previously placed second in both 2011 and 2012.

frostfire
10-25-2015, 18:27
The Irish Won it.
3/75 took 2nd
USMC took 3rd

Found here: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/defence-forces-win-international-sniper-competition-1.2404120

A Special Forces unit with the Defence Forces has won an international sniper competition in the United States.

The Army Ranger Wing won both the international and overall categories in the United States Sniper Competition in Fort Benning, Georgia.

The competition took place over four days in marsh and bush lands, encompassing 16 individual challenges.

Tests include a sniper stalk, movement shoots by day and night, obstacles courses, pistol shoots, stress shoots and unknown distance shoots.

36 other teams

There was competition from 36 other teams drawn from the US military, international military and US state and federal law enforcement. This is the first time an international team has won both the overall and international competition categories.
Defence Forces chief of staff vice admiral Mark Mellett said the win was “testament to the hard training and resolve” of the unit.

Other teams entered included the US rangers, airborne, Marine corps and mountain divisions, the FBI Swat team, and teams from Britain, Canada, Germany and Denmark.

Last year, the previous Defence Forces sniper champions, the 27th Infantry Battalion from Aiken Barracks, Dundalk, came second in the international category and placed 21st overall.

wrong competition...

I hope sometime in the near future the Bureau will start placing in top 3 ;)

The Reaper
10-25-2015, 18:40
The Irish Won it.
3/75 took 2nd
USMC took 3rd

36 other teams

That was the international competition at Benning.

TR

Irish_Army01
10-26-2015, 19:26
That was the international competition at Benning.

TR

That's the USASOC one I believe. I assumed the guys were going over to that except I remembered it was run earlier this year. Think the ARW came in 9th overall.

As mentioned, last year the 27 BN represented the Irish team in the competition.

We run an annual sniper competition (domestic) here and all regular and SOF units take part. It is the winner of that competition that goes forward to represent the Irish Defence forces in this competition.

AFAIK, the USASOC competition is SOF specific and only open to SOF personnel ?

The Reaper
10-26-2015, 20:30
That's the USASOC one I believe. I assumed the guys were going over to that except I remembered it was run earlier this year. Think the ARW came in 9th overall.

As mentioned, last year the 27 BN represented the Irish team in the competition.

We run an annual sniper competition (domestic) here and all regular and SOF units take part. It is the winner of that competition that goes forward to represent the Irish Defence forces in this competition.

AFAIK, the USASOC competition is SOF specific and only open to SOF personnel ?

No, the USASOC Sniper Competition is held at Fort Bragg, and for the last few years, has been held in the springtime.

TR

mojaveman
10-26-2015, 22:01
The Irish Won it.
3/75 took 2nd
USMC took 3rd

36 other teams

Different competition as already noted but in my opinion very impressive on the part of the Irish Army members. One really would have expected an American team or a team from one of the more prominent countries in western Europe to have won.

Hat's off to the lads.

Irish_Army01
10-29-2015, 14:04
Different competition as already noted but in my opinion very impressive on the part of the Irish Army members. One really would have expected an American team or a team from one of the more prominent countries in western Europe to have won.

Hat's off to the lads.

In fairness, Irish teams have been fairly consistent in sniper competitions across northern America.

Some of the guys from that unit have left on gone on to serve in US and Canadian SOF units..

A lot of guys here would be familiar with a certain guy who won USASOC competition a year or two ago.

Irish_Army01
10-29-2015, 14:05
No, the USASOC Sniper Competition is held at Fort Bragg, and for the last few years, has been held in the springtime.

TR

Rgr that. thanks for the clarification.

DJ Urbanovsky
10-29-2015, 15:52
I'm already looking forward to the next one. Should have some even more cool prizes to put up this time. ;)

DJ Urbanovsky
10-29-2015, 15:53
I got to hang out and have some beverages with the Irish team at this years Comp, and they were just a super bunch of guys.

In fairness, Irish teams have been fairly consistent in sniper competitions across northern America.

Some of the guys from that unit have left on gone on to serve in US and Canadian SOF units..

A lot of guys here would be familiar with a certain guy who won USASOC competition a year or two ago.

Irish_Army01
10-29-2015, 18:50
I got to hang out and have some beverages with the Irish team at this years Comp, and they were just a super bunch of guys.

They're quite tall , the two of them for being Irish..lol:lifter