PDA

View Full Version : What are the pros and cons of a Sub-Hilt on a knife?

stanley_white
12-22-2004, 20:59
Okay I need some expert opinions here...

What are the advantages or disadvantages of having a sub-hilt on a knife?

The advantage as I see it could be more leverage when using techniques like a comma cut.

A disadvantage could be that you must now grab the knife just right to employ it properly.

I truly don't know more than that and would like some advice.

Polypro
12-23-2004, 13:24
If it gets stuck in "something", the sub hilt helps with withdrawal. Not my area of expertise though, but it would seem the disadvantages outweigh the advantages...bring enough bullets:)

P

NousDefionsDoc
12-23-2004, 14:41
I wouldn't have one - limits the grip.

Bill Harsey
12-23-2004, 16:03
Sub hilts exist in some fencing "swords" where the grip never changes.

In modern knifemaking it was Bob Loveless who made the subhilt famous in his fighting knife called the "Big Bear" that also had an eight inch blade. The Big Bear is a Masters demonstration of the craft of knifemaking.

I would no sooner speak against Bob Loveless, the father of modern custom knifemaking, than I would against United States Army Special Forces. Bob brought both technology and design to this business at a level never before seen. Every custom knifemaker alive and working today is doing so because of the trail pioneered by Loveless.

NDD is correct, the subhilt limits the grip for other uses.

stanley_white
12-23-2004, 22:46
Gentlemen I thank you for the information. I didn't think the sub-hilt added much from a tactical perspective but I needed the opinions of those more experienced than I. Though I am REALLY turned off by the limiting the grip issue I still would like to experiment with one.

I think I am going to take some of my christmas cash and buy myself one of these just to mess around with:

http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/store_detail.html?s=CS38SS