PDA

View Full Version : Mag Pouches

k-rub
03-22-2015, 17:26
Anybody have experience with taco mag pouches from High Speed Gear? Reviews look good but they are pricey.

Some people say that the elastic cords are the weak point and that they will loose elasticity over time.

I haven't used them, so I can't say.

bubba
03-22-2015, 17:34
I love the 3 doubles I have. They allow me to change from 556 to 762 mags rapidly without screwing with my kit. They are surprisingly secure and durable and make for fast mag changes. Totally recommend this piece of kit.

k-rub
03-22-2015, 18:25
Any issues with them being bulky if you have to go prone?

Im debating on getting a mixture of singles and doubles or all doubles. Depends on the mission though.

therunningwolf
03-22-2015, 21:31
K-rub,

I've got a few, both the rifles and some pistols. I can't really complain about the single rifle TACOS, they work as advertised. I currently only run 1 on a chest rig as a speed reload, with the other mag pouches using lids. Before I settled on this I had them set up 3 across on a plate carrier and chest rig. They are fine with a chest rig, and work decent with a plate carrier in prone. Where I start having issues, is with the double stacked ones. I have 1 double stack rifle TACO that I have on a belt, it sticks out quite a bit and I wouldn't care to stick it onto the front of a plate carrier, the rifle + pistol combo is a little better but I still prefer the single rifle TACOs.

As far as durability, they have held up great and I haven't had a issue yet. I can see where it could be, but they use fairly heavy duty shock cord and thus far I've gone through some fun vegetation and not had any snag issues with the TACO. The retention is shock cord and a cord-lock, so it's a fairly easy fix if they do break.

Will say this with the pistol TACOS, they hold Glock mags just fine, 1911 mags have room for some slippage even when all the way tightened down.

You can't go wrong with the single rifle TACOs, the double stacks and pistols just aren't for me, but that's more of a personal preference.

koz
03-23-2015, 14:34
I have several of the single Taco's. They aren't very bulky but agree that I wouldn't want to have a double on my front. I've got two doubles on a belt for just playing around. I use the Raven Moduloader to attach to my belt.

I haven't had any issues with mags falling out but you can put a bungee to secure over the top if you need it.

k-rub
03-23-2015, 19:41
Exactly what I'm looking for gents. Thanks.

Great idea Koz for adding bungee cord. That would alleviate my concern about a mag wondering off at night.