PDA

View Full Version : Not sure where to go from here

South
03-17-2015, 18:05
Hey everyone, I am having a lot of trouble deciding on what path to pick in my life. I have been researching a lot on this site and have found many helpful sources of information. I greatly appreciate this site and the QP's that maintain and contribute to it. Let me start by giving some info on me and my current situation. This may be a bit lengthy, so I apologize. I will try to flesh out my thoughts clearly.

I am 19 years old enrolled in my second semester of college in the Southeast. I skated through high school with I think a 3.6 GPA and a 28 on the ACT, which got me my scholarship. Also my ASVAB scores were apparently good with a 91 AFQT Percentile score, 120 GT, and 125 CO, which are the scores pertaining to SF. Well, my senior year is when I decided to go into the Army. I greatly respect those in the Army but I felt like that was not enough for me. For one, I am not a people person, I love being on small teams like I was on in high school basketball, but I just don't like large groups of people. I guess I just wanted to be part of a small group, where I could really have a good relationship with just a few people that I would consider brothers. That's one of the reasons I want to be SF. Also, I love challenging myself, and I wanted to do the hardest job in the Army. Well, college was always kind of expected of me by my family, so I figured I would do ROTC as well. My recruiter said I could do National Guard in the meantime to get some extra money and experience. He even said I could do the Parachute Rigger MOS to rub elbows with SF guys and to go ahead and knock out Airborne school.

Well, obviously this all sounded great to me. Unfortunately I'm not so sure this will work anymore. I've heard a dozen conflicting opinions on this from my Captains at ROTC, recruiters, and others. So, that's why I'm hoping to hear what real QP's think about it. As I'm sure you all know, the army is getting incredibly small. Just since I've been in school, the requirements to contract with ROTC have gone sky high. And in the GPA department I sure don't fit the bill, especially since I'm majoring in Criminal Justice, a non-STEM major. Now here's my options as I see it with all the stipulations:

1. I could work my butt off to complete school, commission with ROTC, and become an officer. However, I just don't know if that will be possible due to my pretty terrible performance my first semester and the continuously rising requirements.

2. I could drop out, go active duty as a grunt, and work my way up until I am eligible for SF with one year of college under my belt. However, I'm scared my lack of a college degree could prevent me from being selected. I'm not sure how much that plays a role in selection.

3. I could do the same as option 1. but with National Guard to help with money and experience. But I have heard from one of my Captains (who is a recruiter for NG) that the NG won't release me to active duty due to all the money they put into me as a parachute rigger. So I'm just not sure if that path would allow me to get to SFAS. And I would still have the difficulty of commissioning.

Also, I would like to say that I know as well as I can what I am getting into with SF. I am not a stud, or a genius, but I have determined that this is what I was born to do. I know a lot of it will suck, but when it comes to the "rocking chair test," I can't see myself doing anything else besides regretting I never at least tried. With that being said, all I want is a path that will lead me to SFAS and no where else. So any guidance is welcomed. I have been searching through the forums for a few months about this question (among other things) and have not found anything that specifically answered this, so I'm sorry if I missed a question for this situation that has already been answered.

The Reaper
03-17-2015, 18:24
If you are not a people person, I do not see you being happy in SF.

You do realize that we spend more time on FID and UW than DA, right?

TR

South
03-17-2015, 18:53
Yes sir. It's hard to put into words what I mean by that.. I guess it really goes back to the brotherhood. Regular soldiers are important, I don't mean any offense to them, but I don't want to be part of such a huge group where I'm just some dog tags, I guess that's what I'm trying to say. I want to be the best at what I do with a few other guys who are also the best at what they do. I want the brotherhood I hear about from SF guys. It's not so much that I don't get along with people, just in large groups like the regular army I tend to shut myself off. Sorry if that doesn't make sense, I'm not too sure how to say that. I guess I'm weird but the regular army just did not appeal to me.

UWOA (RIP)
03-17-2015, 18:54
I echo what GR says; however, if you are still interested in the Army as a career, then the Ranger Regiment might be an avenue you want to explore. Having said that, you have a lot more soul searching to do. I say that because if you want to be an officer or non-commissioned officer in the Army, regardless of MOS, you need to be a 'people person'. Because in those positions it's not about you, but instead it's about your people. To lead them you have to be a 'people person', otherwise you will make ill-advised decisions for those for whom you will be responsible.

It's not about the rank, it's about the service ... service to your comrades in arms and dedication to the mission.

Just my $ .02.

South
03-17-2015, 19:24
Thank you for the option, I did consider Rangers when I originally started my research but SF appeals to me much more. And like I said, I made my mind up to do it. Also, I definitely did not mean anything by saying I'm not a people person. I didn't even think about it coming across as selfish or anything. I watch out for my fellow man whenever I can. It's just that I've met very few people who think the way I do. So, yes I get along with people and always put others first, as my faith dictates, but I don't consider myself a people person because I have yet to find someone I can consider a brother. That's one of the reasons SF appeals to me so much. The problem is I don't know how to get there.

Joker
03-17-2015, 19:55
You are a little young still (19) but go talk to a local NG recruiter or hope a NGSFer stops by here. If you want it, be proactive and hunt it down.

spottedmedic111
03-18-2015, 07:01
A couple of things you DON'T need to worry about. For one, you don't need college to join SF. Most don't have any and many, many opportunities to get your degree will be afforded if you wish it. Second, nobody can stop you from going SF regardless of your MOS. Once you submit a 4187, your unit cannot stop you because SF gets priority. They may not be happy but we don't really care.

A few things to keep in mind and/or worry about. You will face academic challenges in the Army so don't fall for that dumb "grunt" routine. Especially in SF, there are no poor students here. If you want to go Army, just enlist and prepare for selection. If you don't like people SF will be a problem, so work on your people skills. As UWOA said, SF is about working with people from ALL walks of life. We're not ninjas and Rambo is only a movie.

South
03-18-2015, 10:31
Yes sir, thank you. That helps a lot. And thank you Joker, I will.

cat in the hat
03-18-2015, 11:05
As an NG SF soldier who taught ROTC, I agree you should consider the Ranger option. It can only enhance and add to a potential SF career. Think of it as the beginning of a career path. Begin with a short enlistment and then you have the 911 GI bill to provide options.

sinjefe
03-18-2015, 12:17
I think you'll find that desires change over the years. The important thing is to stay focused on what ever it is you want now and set realistic goals. When I came in, I wanted to go to one of the Ranger Battalions. Didn't even consider SF. After I did that and a few years in the Regular Army, I decided I wanted to go to SF. One wasn't consciously a stepping stone for the other but, in hindsight, I'm glad I did it that way. Being a Ranger was good for me when I was in my early twenties and SF was better for me once I had matured. Once you decide, block out the white noise and finish it whatever it is.

South
03-18-2015, 16:33
Thank you, I'll definitely start considering Rangers again. I had written them off at first because it seemed like an unnecessary step toward SF (I have met a guy who wanted SF but burned out after Ranger school, but I guess that goes back to mental toughness). I really appreciate all the input, I've been mulling everything over all day today, and having talks with my NG recruiter. I think I will end up going to Ranger school as suggested, and that will help me mature to the level needed for SF. Unfortunately now I'm going to hear all kinds of other opinions from people here, especially my recruiter, but I will do my best to classify it as white noise.

sinjefe
03-18-2015, 17:23
If being a ranger interests you, there is armyranger.com

It is their version of this site.

Joker
03-18-2015, 19:45
Ranger School is not Ranger Battalion. One is a school the other is a way of life.

sinjefe
03-18-2015, 19:58
^^^^^x 10!

South
03-19-2015, 08:00
Thank you for the link, I'll soak up as much information as I can. Yes sir, I'll remember that!