PDA

View Full Version : College While in a National Guard SF Unit?

SC45
03-11-2015, 09:34
I currently have 2 years of college completed and am considering enlisting NG vs. AD as a Rep 63/18x. My question is, is it possible/likely to finish my degree if I make it to a NG SF unit? Thanks.

chance
03-11-2015, 10:13
Yes, I had guys with me that where doing online college while deployed.

x SF med
03-11-2015, 10:52
Put your college on hold until you are through all of your training.

TOMAHAWK9521
03-11-2015, 12:56
Absolutely. I went to the Q and came back did a 4-year degree. Did JCETs between semesters.

k-rub
03-11-2015, 18:22
Its absolutely possible. However, I disagree about doing college while on a team. Given the choice I would go back and finish college before going to selection.

SC45
03-11-2015, 20:02
Its absolutely possible. However, I disagree about doing college while on a team. Given the choice I would go back and finish college before going to selection.

Not disagreeing/being disrespectful, but what is the difference between going to college while on a team vs working a full time job while on a team?

Surgicalcric
03-11-2015, 22:41
Not disagreeing/being disrespectful, but what is the difference between going to college while on a team vs working a full time job while on a team?

You can take time off from your job with short notice for weeks on end without a penalty. The ability to do the same while attending college is not the same. There were several times I was called on Friday to go to a school starting Monday for 5-7 weeks long some place where you won't have time to withdraw.

It isnt putting SF, the mission, or your Brothers firsthand in hyour example and they deserve no less.

Crip

dinatius
03-11-2015, 22:53
FWIW I've got a buddy who has already skipped two semesters just to get to SFAS. Best case scenario is that he gets to finish his 3+ more semesters before starting the Q but who knows. Another guy I know is on a team now and after the Q, Ranger School, JCETs etc he's currently on year 6 or 7 of his undergraduate. I'm certainly no expert, but based on my observations it seems like trying to do both at the same time just makes everything take longer.

SC45
03-12-2015, 05:36
You can take time off from your job with short notice for weeks on end without a penalty. The ability to do the same while attending college is not the same. There were several times I was called on Friday to go to a school starting Monday for 5-7 weeks long some place where you won't have time to withdraw.

It isnt putting SF, the mission, or your Brothers firsthand in hyour example and they deserve no less.

Crip

Can I ask for a suggestion then? I'm halfway through college and still don't know what I want to do, career wise, besides be an SF Soldier. The last thing I want to do is spend the rest of my life behind a desk and figured joining the Guard while finishing college was my best option.

TOMAHAWK9521
03-12-2015, 07:19

Crip

Honestly, as a guard bum, the chances of getting a "you must go" school dropped in your lap while attending college are pretty slim. Yeah, I had schools presented to me while in 5/19 but if I was already obligated then I missed out and it went to someone else.

MR2
03-12-2015, 07:24
Honestly, as a guard bum, the chances of getting a "you must go" school dropped in your lap while attending college are pretty slim. Yeah, I had schools presented to me while in 5/19 but if I was already obligated then I missed out and it went to someone else.

Me too.

k-rub
03-12-2015, 19:35
More freedom of choice is a benefit to being in the Guard. I have plenty of friends and teammates going to school while serving. Many of them end up dropping courses here and there to go to a school/JCET/deployment. Others simply do the minimum Guard time to stay off the No Val Pay list.

I'm not saying it's impossible to do school and Guard SF at the same time. IMO you put yourself thru quite a bit of training to get the privilege of being on a team. If you go to school, you are limited on where and when you can deploy until you finish.

Like I said earlier, given the choice I would absolutely finish school first and then go to Selection.

k-rub
03-12-2015, 19:37
Plus, you already have half of your school finished. Why quit now? Finish it out first.

At a minimum you won't be able to pick back up in school for 2 years.

Dalik
03-12-2015, 19:52
I'm doing it as we speak. If you plan your classes well- you can do both, its just going to take you longer. Get through the Q course before you get back to school! They also have a good program for SOF at Bragg with FTCC, look into it. But first you have to get there. :lifter

SC45
03-12-2015, 20:27
Plus, you already have half of your school finished. Why quit now? Finish it out first.

At a minimum you won't be able to pick back up in school for 2 years.

I agree with you on finishing school first but the problem is I'm still not sure what I want to do for a career. The only one thing that I know I definitely want to do is become an SF soldier. I figure once/if I finish the pipeline I will have more perspective on what I want to spend the rest of my life doing.

craigepo
03-13-2015, 08:40
I finished college and law school while in 12th and 20th Groups. It's really handy for prior-service guys. It keeps the "hooah bug" from biting too hard while you're getting college knocked out.

The hooah bug, whose bite makes you think that you need to be out doing cool-guy stuff, has a bite that seems to never let go.

TOMAHAWK9521
03-13-2015, 11:52
I finished college and law school while in 12th and 20th Groups. It's really handy for prior-service guys. It keeps the "hooah bug" from biting too hard while you're getting college knocked out.

The hooah bug, whose bite makes you think that you need to be out doing cool-guy stuff, has a bite that seems to never let go.

Amen. I had several friends who took forever to finish college because they kept jumping at every JCET or school opportunity that came up. It was the school opportunities that cost them since those guys were usually stuck in the "alternate" slot and had to wait for AD guys to not show up. That usually meant the guy came back with the semester blown and nothing to show for it except the money he wasted on tuition.

Scimitar
03-13-2015, 12:24
It sounds like you're more worried about 'wasting' your time on a qualification, that will force you to then work (read: Get stuck) in a field you wont enjoy.

I don't know if it helps, but almost half of college grads never worked in their chosen field. And this is expected to rise with this generation of graduates. In most cases the GPA in your undergrad matters more than the field.

The best advice I ever got was, study a field you know you'd really enjoy, and therefore do well at. (However, I would suggest avoiding basket wiving).

Often the journey of completing your arbitrary undergrad, will shine the light on your next step.

Also, this book is considered the best career advice book hands down, world wide.
What colour is your parachute - Bowels
It is published annually, make sure you get a recent edition.
When I get someone to read it, it is rare that they don't come back with some serious career insight.

Also, as you have processed your thoughts in this thread, I get the feeling your question is changing. Sometimes the process of asking one question, helps you discover what your real question is.

Are you really wondering if study and NGSF mix?
Are you worried NGSF may disappear - Why the hurry?
Or is your base concern simply, what the f**k am I doing with my life?

HTH

S

NC6J
03-15-2015, 09:46
I currently have 2 years of college completed and am considering enlisting NG vs. AD as a Rep 63/18x. My question is, is it possible/likely to finish my degree if I make it to a NG SF unit? Thanks.

Short answer: yes, a guy on an NGSF team has time to be a fulltime college student.
I have watched guys finish engineering degres in A/5-19.
I have watched guys on actived duty struggle to finish college even while working a predictable schedule as a SWCS instructor.

Long answer: if you haven't decided between active component or Guard, I am going to recommend active. SF seems to be the only thing you are sure about for your post-college life. SF, like any career path, requires commitment. SF and a college degree seems to be the only commitments you are sure about, do that.
If you find a civilian career path down the road, you can transition to NGSF as a more experienced CMF 18 and pursue that civilian career.
But either way, if having a college degree is part of your plan, you will be better served spending the next two years getting that done first. The longer you wait to finish, the more challenges you will have to overcome to get it done. All you have to do right now is just register for the next term.
If you ask anyone in SF who left college early to join and finished college later, to a man they will tell you that they would have been better of finishing shool first and joing 2-3 years later than they did.

SC45
05-20-2015, 08:39
Gentlemen,
I appreciate all of your help. After much thought, I have decided to enlist with a Rep 63 contract after graduation. I will be graduating with a degree in Mechanical Engineering and was wondering if it would be best to get a job before I enlist, or enlist right after graduation and start the job search after I've finished my military training? Thanks again.
-SC45