PDA

View Full Version : Wheeler knives

G Wheeler II
03-06-2015, 12:45
Hey All

I am finally getting around to posting a few pictures of some of the knives I have made. About 90% of my blades are forged and all of the Damascus I use is made by me here in the shop. My knives are first and foremost working knives designed to cut very well and maintain a sharp edge as well as the steel used will allow, all steels are not created equal. I prefer to use High carbon steels but will on occasion or upon request stock remove a blade from stainless steel. All my knives are cutting tools no matter how nice they may look, they are designed to work hard and last a long time.

For years now I have been making a field grade line of knives that are machine finished down to 220 grit, then bead or sand blasted for that non glare look. With no hand finish work I save bunches of time and can keep the cost down.(( picture 1&2 ))

My way of giving back to guys who are serving now.

E-5 and below 20% OFF (all SF NCO's get this one too)
E-6 and above 10% OFF

I keep out of trouble and maintain my sanity working in the shop M-F, with my Old Buddy Kim Breed. When it is not going so good or we are waitng for something to cool or heat up, we walk down to the range and shoot a good bit...,

JSMosby
03-06-2015, 13:30
#6 is awesome. Nice work!

G Wheeler II
03-06-2015, 16:02
LOL I like that set myself, it went to a Hog Hunter down Florida. He gave me some great reports on how fast the fighter went into big hogs.... I will be posting a few that I have on hand this weekend after I locate my camera...

G Wheeler II
03-06-2015, 16:13
The last 2 are of the same knife< I do all my own leather work as well. Breed does the kydex for me.

JimP
03-06-2015, 16:16
website? order form?? price list? Plausible denial and "Get out of Jail Free" pass for when the wife sees the drain on the bank account you so inconsiderately teased us with and lured us into a purchasing ambush...??

Seriously nice knives. i see "one or two" I would like to have.

G Wheeler II
03-06-2015, 16:21
Hey I trained or should say convinced the GRITCH my gun safe had magical powers and she let me get away with it for years... every few months it had babies

LOL you know I was not going to put out any stinkers for yall to slobber over...:D

JimP
03-06-2015, 16:26
Yup - I'm practicing already: "This old thing...?? I've had that in my kitbag for years."

seriously - how do we look/order this stuff?

x SF med
03-06-2015, 17:13
I see some Loveless inspiration in some of those....:cool:
Are you going to be at OKCA this year?
Nice work... too bad I'm broke at the moment.:mad:

G Wheeler II
03-06-2015, 17:25
Thanks

No I am not doing that show any longer. Kind of petered out after the break up

G Wheeler II
03-06-2015, 17:48
#1&2 The camp hatchet is forged from a 2"wide x3/4"thick hunk of 5160 carbon steel $360

#3&4 This Bowie won the best bowie award at the Winston Salem NC. show
it has a 7 1/4" ladder pattern Damascus blade and fittings, Sambar Stag handle with coin edged Copper spacers, The sheath was carved with the Green Man by Mudbone Jones $975

#5 A hunter with a 3 1/4" Twist damascus blade with Damascus fittings, file worked spacer and fully file worked liner between the Ironwood burl handle $400

#6 A small clip point Hunter/Fighter. with a 4" Random pattern damascus blade, damascus and copper fittings and a giraffe bone handle $325

Sorry for the crappy photos, I will do better on the next ones

Team Sergeant
03-06-2015, 20:18
Nice work Brother! You have skills! ;)

I don't see a filet knife....... :munchin

Sohei
03-06-2015, 20:47
Very nice work indeed!

G Wheeler II
03-07-2015, 05:32
Nice work Brother! You have skills! ;)

I don't see a filet knife....... :munchin

I have made a few of those also, all of them went up to Sitka AK. They are a pain in my fingers, those thin blades get hot fast fast.:eek: My bigest one was 14" ATS34 it got a cryo and heat treated outside the shop, my little heat oven will only hold a 7" blade.

Here is one in action, you can only see the blade a little. That 1/4 of a fillet is hiding most of it... (an itty bitty flounder)

cold1
03-07-2015, 07:32
Very Nice looking work, both the metal and the leather. Like your taste in guns too.

G Wheeler II
03-08-2015, 17:12
a few more.

#1 Strait hunter/utility knife, 5" forged 80 CRV blade, stacked leather/ivory micarta spacer and a stag butt with NS shield inlay for initials on top of butt. $225

#2 Small Clip point, 3 1/2" 1084/15N20 HC Random pattern damascus blade and guard, stabilized Box Elder burl handle, leather dangler sheath. $225

#3 Hunter 3 1/2" 1084/15N20 Twist pattern damascus blade, guard made from the same bar of twist and a copper spacer, Walrus Ivory handle, leather pouch sheath. $400

#4 Small fighter. 3 1/2" cable sheathed 0-1 HC San Mai blade, cable guard, Ironwood burl handle, cross draw carry leather sheath. $320

#5 Trailing point hunter, 4 3/4" forged 1095 blade, Bronze guard, stag handle with oval bronze inlay for initials on the butt. $250

#6 Necker. 3" Stock removed O-1 TS blade, black G10 handle slabs. A very light handy knife, with a kydex sheath. $125

G Wheeler II
03-08-2015, 17:20
I was asked about the J.S. stamp on some of the knives Ricasso area..

I am an American Bladesmith Society Journeyman Smith, I tested for and passed the J.S. test at the Atlanta Blade Show in 2008.

So on any knife I have forged the blade on I will stamp my name on the private(left) side of the ricasso and J.S. on the public side(right)..

//www.americanbladesmith.com

These are my five J.S. Test knives

G Wheeler II
03-08-2015, 17:25
These 2 are what some people are calling tactical knives, so I will go with it... To me they are just big field grade knives.

#1 clip point utility/field knife, Sand blasted 6" stock removed 5160 HC, green canvas micarta handle slabs, kydex sheath.. This knife is hell for tough . 5160 is a high carbon spring steel, with a nice hard edge for edge retention and a tough springy spine for toughness. This is one of those knives you can jam into a wall and use it as a step without damaging it. $250

#2 Fighter/utility knife, 6 1/2" forged 80 CRV High Carbon steel blade, Bead blasted NS guard and Black canvas micarta handle, kydex sheath.. This is a field knife for the guy who wants the best I make, in a field knife. Hand forged 80CRV high carbon steel hand finished to a 600grit finish, a big beefy tang runs to within 3/4" of the end of the one piece micarta handle. $450

Joker
03-08-2015, 19:56
I would say that those are defective and you should send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you. But dang brother, you are making some very fine knives.:lifter

JJ_BPK
03-09-2015, 05:18
Fantastic blades Gary, I B Jealous..

I would say that those are defective and you should send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you. But dang brother, you are making some very fine knives.

:D:D:D:D

Me thinks you are fibb'n..

G Wheeler II
03-09-2015, 06:59
I would say that those are defective and you should send them to me and I'll dispose of them for you. But dang brother, you are making some very fine knives.:lifter

No all the defective knives go in a drawer or if they happen to be real nice but pi*s me off get chunked out into the woods behind the shop. Honest there are more than a few out there, but I did stop this practice when I had to replace a tire on my mower.:boohoo

Barbarian
03-09-2015, 07:53
Nice work!

letinsh
03-09-2015, 09:13
Great looking knives!
Are you related to Nick Wheeler, by any chance?

G Wheeler II
03-09-2015, 13:20
Great looking knives!
Are you related to Nick Wheeler, by any chance?

Not in any way, he is a nice kid though...

Joker
03-09-2015, 15:30
No all the defective knives go in a drawer or if they happen to be real nice but pi*s me off get chunked out into the woods behind the shop. Honest there are more than a few out there, but I did stop this practice when I had to replace a tire on my mower.:boohoo

Saying cr*p like that and you will have a bunch of us over there going through those woods. :D And that is especially true if your bad ones are like the one posted.

G Wheeler II
03-09-2015, 18:53
Saying cr*p like that and you will have a bunch of us over there going through those woods. :D And that is especially true if your bad ones are like the one posted.

There was one real nice bowie that was resisting very hard and then it bit me, it got chucked into a berry patch, I think you might be able to see it now (winter clear) only problem is at 60-70 yards #4's out of a 10ga still penetrate kinda deep

But it would be a very interesting test???:munchin

PS: bring your own antiseptic, I will not waste mine on a flesh wound....

G Wheeler II
03-14-2015, 10:31
A Doves Thorn.. Re tasked pearl, with a nice Damascus dagger blade.. I am going to get a nice Garter and attach a scabbard to it, LOL one is scheduled to go to a Dinning Out so she can show off when the guys gather to see what everyones carrying...

I hope it goes over well with her Husband.. Snicker snicker!!!!!!!!

The blade is 3"

DJ Urbanovsky
03-14-2015, 11:35
Very nice!

SF_BHT
03-14-2015, 12:02
A Doves Thorn.. Re tasked pearl, with a nice Damascus dagger blade.. I am going to get a nice Garter and attach a scabbard to it, LOL one is scheduled to go to a Dinning Out so she can show off when the guys gather to see what everyones carrying...

The blade is 3"

That is a beautiful dagger......

Great work Gary

G Wheeler II
03-16-2015, 18:23
I have been making this style of knife for over 15 years, stock removed 5/32" 0-1 TS blade 4" long. I have made them with just about every handle material except leather, now I almost always use G-10 or carbon fiber when I find some thick enough.. I do a leather or kydex sheath for this one. That is a false edge on the top clip. $130

Rob_Frey
03-20-2015, 12:21

The blade is 3"

Wow! That is a showstopper!

chance
03-22-2015, 10:04
One of Gary's Knives that I carried in Afghanistan. It came with a leather sheath, and I made the Kydex one for it to mount to my kit.

x SF med
03-22-2015, 23:36
I have been making this style of knife for over 15 years, stock removed 5/32" 0-1 TS blade 4" long. I have made them with just about every handle material except leather, now I almost always use G-10 or carbon fiber when I find some thick enough.. I do a leather or kydex sheath for this one. That is a false edge on the top clip. $130

If I sent you scale material (stabilized maple, IIRC) what would that knife cost?

G Wheeler II
03-23-2015, 06:42
If I sent you scale material (stabilized maple, IIRC) what would that knife cost?

well with your 20% off it would be $96 and about $7 in shipping = $ 103 total.

That is for an 0-1 Carbon TS blade, stainless would be $25-35 more depending on the steel. I recommend the 0=1 it is an aggressive cutter and sharpens easly and with a little care will look good for years.

I can also bead blast it at no cost if you want, this is a stock removed knife so it makes no difference in the cost. It helps with rust resistance, in that it holds oil better.

sfbreed
03-26-2015, 18:49
we would love the company. just bring a bottle for the shop.

pyreaux
06-03-2017, 12:47
Found this at blade show!

CSB
06-03-2017, 14:46
Um ... Py...,

I think that picture is upside down.
:D

(Fixed, TS)

pyreaux
06-04-2017, 20:51
TS, much thanks for the assist!