View Full Version : American Business Needs the Green Berets

The Reaper
02-24-2015, 14:54
Wow!

TR

American business needs the Green Berets

http://qz.com/348079/why-american-business-needs-the-green-berets/

WRITTEN BY Colin James Nagy, Executive director, The Barbarian Group

I've been working on a pro-bono strategy project lately with my colleague Laura Robertson. The purpose? Help Special Forces soldiers (aka the Green Berets) transition after their service into the business world. There are plenty of other non-profits and efforts aimed at helping veterans move out of the armed forces, but there's an especially strong match between this elite community and the private sector business-if we can translate between the two.

We've spoken to a range of transitioning Green Berets-those who have successfully launched business careers, civilian recruiters, as well as the staff of charitable foundations focused on transition. We've also immersed ourselves in the training, culture, structures and most importantly, the type of thinking taught to members of the Special Forces regiment.

First off, we determined there's a significant branding issue that the community faces. The Special Forces (often referred to as "SF") community exclusively refers to the Army's soldiers focused on unconventional warfare and foreign internal defense, among other areas.

Other branches are grouped under the "Special Operations Forces" moniker (and include Navy SEALS, Air Force Pararescue, Marine Force Recon, and several others). The two names are often confused, even by the likes of former secretary of defense and CIA director Leon Panetta in a 60 minutes segment.

However, due to the high visibility of these other groups, there's a lack of understanding among the general public about what the SF community knows and brings to the table. US popular culture tends to focus on the direct action/door-kicking stuff of action films and slightly less on those with the skills of battlefield diplomacy and nuance.

This world is often less cut and dry, with more time spent on the ground and among communities. It's less "get in and get out" as it is full-on immersion, teaching, living-by-wits and building networks. But these skills are undoubtedly why the Special Forces community are some of the strongest candidates to transition into the business world and make a big impact.

Our research and conversations unearthed a lot of useful information about how these individuals are taught to think and operate in highly uncertain situations.

According to Army recruiting information about SF:
SF, commonly referred to as Green Berets, are strategic, multipurpose forces capable of rapid response to various contingencies throughout the world. Their mission is to organize, train, equip, and direct indigenous forces in unconventional warfare and foreign internal defense.

The roles are many, but one of their core competencies is linking up with foreign forces, training and instructing them, and accomplishing missions. As a lot of this is happening behind enemy lines, there's a required level of cultural sensitivity, as well as the ability to operate with a tremendous amount of ambiguity. To lead without formal authority, nurture relationships, and conduct battlefield diplomacy in some of the meanest parts of the world raises the question of what these people could bring to a high performing business environment.

A veteran Special Forces NCO told us:
On missions you're usually working with less than half the people you're supposed to have. In Afghanistan, I was on a split team of 3 guys, isolated, in a really remote location. Our fuel and food were dropped in by a helicopter. My only connection to civilization was a radio. Yeah, you had to solve every problem on your own.

We also heard an anecdote from a transitioned SF officer, now working in finance, about how creative thinking saved the day in a less-than-ideal situation on a trip:
The Special Forces guy carved out this funnel out of this Coke can, after he recognized what the problem was [...] and it worked awesome. And Joe [civilian business leader] nudges me with his elbow, 'master problem solver.' 'Joe-would you hire that guy?' 'In a heartbeat.'

Throughout the selection process, from the arduous qualification ("Q") course where they learn their specific specialties (comms, engineering, medical, etc) to their time on a team-or ODA (operational detachment)-SF soldiers are taught to hone attributes like teamwork, sacrifice, intellectual curiosity, cultural sensitivity, and communication. They also need to figure out how to solve problems without much direction and in highly uncertain circumstances.

They are charcoal filtered throughout this entire process, at each step honing the skills that will set them up for success post-Army.

In our conversations with CEOs and other senior executives, we heard the same refrain: "I want someone who can bring order to chaos and get the job done at all costs."

A C-Suite member of a payments company told us: "One type of person I always like to hire is someone who's an independent autodidact. All I want is someone who can just get the Message to Garcia."

In other words, someone as self-directed and capable as a Green Beret.

So what are the obstacles to making this happen?

1. More understanding within the general public and business world about who the Green Berets are, and what they can offer when they get out.

2. Lack of understanding among civilian recruiters. We've found that CEO's know (and want to work with) these people, but the initial, mid-level gatekeepers do not know enough, and need to be better educated.

3. The SF mindset and shared culture of humility means that team guys do not brag or take credit for things they've done. They are called "quiet professionals" for a reason. An admirable trait, but not always the best one to get you hired in a competitive market. SF soldiers need to be able to tell their stories and share their strengths in a way that is harmonious with corporate culture.

So, working closely with a new initiative called The Next Ridgeline, part of the Green Beret Foundation, we'll partner to help educate the public on what these men can bring to the table-and why they're so vital for the business world.

While all veterans have unique attributes to bring to the public sector, we believe that the characteristics of the SF soldier lend themselves well to various sectors of commerce-particularly high growth areas (and in some cases, startups).

As we were concluding our research, we were reminded of the earlier quote alluded to about the "Message to Garcia." It is a passage from Elbert Hubbard that sums up the value proposition and reinforces why Green Berets can be the resourceful leaders American businesses need:
My heart goes out to the man who does his work when the "boss" is away as well as when he is at home. And the man who, when given a letter for García, quietly takes the missive, without asking any idiotic questions, and with no lurking intention of chucking it into the nearest sewer, or of doing aught else but deliver it, never gets "laid off," nor has to go on a strike for higher wages. Civilization is one long, anxious search for just such individuals. Anything such a man asks shall be granted; his kind is so rare that no employer can afford to let him go. He is wanted in every city, town, and village-in every office, shop, store, and factory. The world cries out for such; he is needed, and needed badly-the man who can carry a message to García.

This post originally appeared at Medium. We welcome your comments at ideas@qz.com.

(1VB)compforce
02-24-2015, 15:48
As a business owner, I totally agree. I've been preaching this to others both inside and outside my company for years now. When we have openings here, the first place we try to recruit is from the (veteran) SOF community and specifically SF for leadership roles. Let me tell you in a nutshell why:

Problem solving - anyone can learn the rote jobs in the IT industry and keep things running when everything is working right. Problem solving is what separates the average employee from the superstar. As the article says, that is one of the key differentiators of SF.

Crisis Management - Everything is a crisis to your clients. Having someone that can settle them down and put it into perspective is invaluable. If you need someone that can keep calm in a crisis, can you think of anyone better than SF?

Negotiation skills - Being able to bridge the gap between two parties with different priorities falls right into line with some of the things that SF does every day.

Self Education - By nature the SF Soldier is constantly focused on self improvement. There are very few roles in business that can't be learned if the individual is motivated to do so.

Self directed - The more an individual can do without having to be provided step by step instruction, the more productive their supervisor and peers can be. With SF the concept of "implied task" is already ingrained.

Project management - Projects are about managing time and resources, often with both of them limited. Who else understands the concept of limited resources and tight unrealistic deadlines better than the SF Soldier?

For the record, I have 4 Veteran employees (including myself), 3 of whom come from SOF/SOF support and one of whom is SF qualified (the other is EOD). This isn't just academic to me.

The main challenge is educating businesses. The reality is that the soft skills (communication, writing, speaking, etc) are very valuable to the civilian world. Unfortunately, most SF resumes I've seen, just like most non-SF Veteran resumes, focus on the military skills rather than the translatable skills. The Army's resume ETS/Retirement counselors just don't do a very good job of it. And please, please don't use the ACE job descriptions on your resume, you'll have trouble getting a job at McDonalds with those.

With today's resume search algorithms that are used by everyone when hiring, the filters make it highly unlikely that a search for "manager, executive, leadership, vice president, director" will return an SF resume as the top candidate, even though I think any SF soldier would be a great fit in those positions. Unless someone knows you personally, or like me has direct knowledge of the SF Soldiers' non-martial skills and traits, it is unlikely to get you, the SF Soldier, the best position that you can qualify for. The article writer is spot on about the need to educate gatekeepers, but don't expect to see it happen very quickly.

I'd counsel taking the time to put yourself into the shoes of the business owner/manager and tell them how you can apply your SF learned skills to help make their business better. Then take that information and try to focus it into the keywords that businesses use when searching for candidates on the job engines. I'd also suggest making a few friends among the recruiters for your industry. Even if the gatekeepers have been educated, they'll never actually see your resume unless the search engine or recruiter hands it to them.

Team Sergeant
02-24-2015, 18:28
I'm free at the moment..... :munchin

Richard
02-24-2015, 20:05
Just a comment - no matter the skills and experience level, ANYONE (SF or otherwise) seeking employment with any national/international-level corporation today needs to be acutely aware of their on-line presence in open forums - companies (and colleges, too) do check them...and it can be a "deal breaker."

Richard

Flagg
02-24-2015, 20:54
Having a fair bit of start-up and mega-brand company experience, combined with a fair bit of conventional force(reserve) experience(and an ongoing taste of SOF in an assessment only role), I've got some strong feelings on where experienced SF folks might find the most likely win/win match in the corporate world.

I reckon that is in the start-up, and/or immature, fast growing enterprise space.

I would hazard a guess that large/mature legacy companies that have plateaued in growth might be akin to an SF soldier going back to conventional forces.

They may take to the force multiplier opportunity with relish, or find excessive levels of frustration. Some might love it, but I would think outside of acting as a consultant to large corporations, it might have too much of a "big army" suffocating feel to it(personal opinion).

Adapting to the local culture, developing small teams, and immature/non-existent processes into larger/better/faster/stronger teams that leverage more effective processes in an atmosphere of austerity is what SF does very well, right?

To me, I would think taking a page out of a fellow Green Beret's handbook, GORUCK, might be a good direction.

They develop custom team building solutions to some big brands like Google, besides their bread and butter gear and experiential activities.

Why not diplomatically, tactfully, and professionally leverage SF experienced pers via a consultancy?

Consult to existing corporates, government, and/or new ventures.

Leverage that vast network of veteran SF pers across industries.

And maybe extend consultancy into personnel recruitment/placement, new venture backing, etc.

Like GORUCK, but instead of a small corporate slice, a significant focus, and a much broader spectrum of services beyond team building.

Sorry! I'm a bit GORUCK on the brain at the moment, as I'm looking to do a few of their events while visiting the US later in the year to compare/contrast with what we're doing down here.

[QUOTE]3. The SF mindset and shared culture of humility means that team guys do not brag or take credit for things they've done. They are called "quiet professionals" for a reason. An admirable trait, but not always the best one to get you hired in a competitive market. SF soldiers need to be able to tell their stories and share their strengths in a way that is harmonious with corporate culture./QUOTE]

Has the term "TOO quiet professional" ever been used when it comes to the transition to the private sector?

On civvie street, background brand experience with P&G, GE, Google, Amazon, Apple on resumes/CVs is a big plus because of their training programs and experience gained.

Green Berets/Special Forces is a brand from a civilian corporate perspective.

It's exemplified by the Intellectual Property protection that is conducted daily here(fraud/poser busting).

And like IP, if it's not actively protected, it's legally(and otherwise) lost.

GORUCK seems to be successfully building a complementary brand based on Green Beret/SF experience(and other SOF).

Why not leverage it more purposefully on civvie street in exchange for a royalty/donation arrangement? Again, GORUCK look to have a great relationship with GBF.

Israel has done a great job in this regard as well. Not sure how intentional and/or serendipitous it is though.

Sayeret Matkal vets include a good few Prime Ministers, senior government leaders, and leaders in Israel's tech industry.

Doesn't it just come down to giving yourselves permission to more effectively leverage a rather powerful(if commercially underutilized) network?

Just my thoughts from the outside looking in.

(1VB)compforce
02-24-2015, 21:33
I'm free at the moment..... :munchin

I'll let you know when we're ready to hire a second Corporate Chef :D

Kinda hard to email the food though, it just doesn't hold the flavor very well, kinda bland like paper...

Seriously though, the SF guy we have now came from this site (you, TS, know who he is). As we get openings, those offers will be made here and on a related site first before they become open to the general public. On a side note, I do need a C# programmer so if there is one in the community that needs a job, I have an immediate opening, SF, SOF, Veteran (US only) preferred, in that order.

Flagg
02-24-2015, 23:16
Anyone ever read this stuff from EM Burlingame?

http://smallwarsjournal.com/author/em-burlingame

Definitely SF meets venture business, maybe outside of author's original context, but still relevant to homeland economy and network opportunity.

Team Sergeant
02-25-2015, 09:16
I'll let you know when we're ready to hire a second Corporate Chef :D

Kinda hard to email the food though, it just doesn't hold the flavor very well, kinda bland like paper...

Seriously though, the SF guy we have now came from this site (you, TS, know who he is). As we get openings, those offers will be made here and on a related site first before they become open to the general public. On a side note, I do need a C# programmer so if there is one in the community that needs a job, I have an immediate opening, SF, SOF, Veteran (US only) preferred, in that order.

After working in the industry I've found the biggest frauds on the planet are "chef's".

Anyone can (and do) call themselves a chef with absolutely zero training or experience. Most of the "personal" chefs out there are liars and frauds. Buyer beware.......

1stindoor
02-26-2015, 07:08
After working in the industry I've found the biggest frauds on the planet are "chef's".

Anyone can (and do) call themselves a chef with absolutely zero training or experience. Most of the "personal" chefs out there are liars and frauds. Buyer beware.......

Do I detect a second website coming...professionalchefs dot com or something like it?...Outing phony chefs? Pushing for stolen flavor legislation?:D

Team Sergeant
02-26-2015, 09:07
Do I detect a second website coming...professionalchefs dot com or something like it?...Outing phony chefs? Pushing for stolen flavor legislation?:D

No because there are no set values/creds for being a chef. Anyone that has made ramen noodles can call themselves a chef. And trust me they do.

MR2
02-26-2015, 09:17
Back in the day, my C-Rat Ramen and canteen cup Jamoka was to die for.

tonyz
02-26-2015, 09:49
While I agree with the basic premise of the article - business is doing ok, not great but ok.

On the other hand, government leadership positions (Federal, State and local levels) would most benefit from a SF presence.

Unfortunately, the typical person drawn to politics and the typical types of careerist and selfish personalities in politics today drive away those who could exert the most positive influence on governement. It is changing a bit, but not fast enough. Bottom line, every field of endeavor benefits from even one teammate/coworker demonstrating even some of the attributes outlined below. IME, despite all the rah rah talk, most folks in either business or government wouldn't know a real team if one ran up and bit them on the ass.

Given the magnitude of the problems currently facing this country at the moment IMO - it is governement (at all levels) that would most benefit from:

Integrity
Being trustworthy and honest; acting with honor and unwavering adherence to ethical standards

Courage
Acting on own convictions despite consequences; is willing to sacrifice for a larger cause; not paralyzed by fear of failure

Perseverance
Working toward an end; has commitment; physical or mental resolve; motivated; gives effort to the cause; does not quit

Personal responsibility
Being self-motivated and an autonomous self-starter; anticipates tasks and acts accordingly; takes accountability for his actions

Professionalism
Behaving as a standard-bearer for the regiment; has a professional image, to include a level of maturity and judgment mixed with confidence and humility; forms sound opinions and makes own decisions; stands behind his sensible decisions based on his experiences

Adaptability
Possessing the ability to maintain composure while responding to or adjusting one’s own thinking and actions to fit a changing environment; the ability to think and solve problems in unconventional ways; the ability to recognize, understand and navigate within multiple social networks; the ability to proactively shape the environment or circumstances in anticipation of desired outcomes

Team Player
Possessing the ability to work on a team for a greater purpose than himself; dependable and loyal; works selflessly with a sense of duty; respects others and recognizes diversity

Capability
Maintaining physical fitness, to include strength and agility; has operational knowledge; able to plan and communicate effectively

Bladeenthusiast
02-26-2015, 10:03
Back in the day, my C-Rat Ramen and canteen cup Jamoka was to die for.

That one caught me really off guard!:D But in all seriousness i can't say i know this problem first hand, but i can see how it is a big problem. My friend's dad was SF a while back but when he got out he said he had this problem for a while.