PDA

View Full Version : This is a bit of shock

Ape Man
02-22-2015, 20:07
The article linked to below was a bit of a shock to me.

Top Army Marksman Explains Why Gun Nuts Shoot Better (https://medium.com/war-is-boring/top-army-marksman-explains-why-gun-nuts-shoot-better-469f8dfd917f?)

Some quotes from the article....

Master Sgt. Scott Satterlee is really good at shooting things. He’s a member of the U.S. Army’s elite 1st Special Forces Group based at Joint Base Lewis-McChord in Washington state. He’s also a nationally ranked competitive precision rifle shooter—and one of the military’s best marksmen.

Satterlee has learned a lot about firearms in the world of competitive shooting. It’s influenced how he shoots—and why he came to recognize flaws in how the military prepares soldiers for war.

He’s the Operations Sergeant at JBLM’s Special Forces Advanced Urban Combat Course. After years of combat deployments around the world, training soldiers and shooting at civilian weapon ranges around the United States, he thinks it’s time we radically revamp the way we think about firearms training.

I know that some competitive shooters have wicked skills, but I always thought that its application to the military side of things was a bit limited. Particularly given the way they modify some of their guns.

Joker
02-22-2015, 20:46
Some of my best shooting in combat competition was with a military (tweaked) M1911 and M9 pistols and a M4 with an Aimpoint. Benelli M1 Super 90 shotgun worked well too.

Peregrino
02-22-2015, 21:32
No surprises in the article. Smart, dedicated professionals will evaluate everything they can and integrate enhancing TTPs as expeditiously as possible. Cutting edge units have been learning from civilians for decades. No - that doesn't mean everything is applicable but it does mean that smart Soldiers look for advantages wherever they can find them. And yes - MSG Satterlee is absolutely right. Sometimes the military's "conservative" approach to incorporating new TTPs is a detriment. Other times it serves to control the fallout generated by an inverse ratio of enthusiasm to rational expectations.

frostfire
02-23-2015, 02:38
The article linked to below was a bit of a shock to me.

Top Army Marksman Explains Why Gun Nuts Shoot Better (https://medium.com/war-is-boring/top-army-marksman-explains-why-gun-nuts-shoot-better-469f8dfd917f?)

Some quotes from the article....

I know that some competitive shooters have wicked skills, but I always thought that its application to the military side of things was a bit limited. Particularly given the way they modify some of their guns.

Look for Frank Proctor, an SF vet who's a professional competitor and instructor. Once "enlightened," he demolished the competition and got his grandmaster in no time. Likewise with a certain unit SGM I had the pleasure of shooting against at the recent All Army