PDA

View Full Version : Medical Retirement and returning to go for selection.

Bettersynergy
02-18-2015, 04:36
To preface:
I was medically retired due to an unfortunate incident involving Luzon and a tank that got in my way while I was getting my Selection Packet ready.
I doubt that the 'whats' of injuries are important, but if it make a difference, I will gladly answer.

The result however: Permanent Medical Retirement.

My military career: 5 years Airborne Infantry

Question:
Is it unheard of to come out of medical retirement and get selected ---> finishing the Q course?

Post note:
I realize the permanent is in *the result* but permanent seems to be a loose term. I believe there is a possibility of full recovery within the next 5-10 years and I will gladly lose the CRSC and VA moneys if it means I can go back and follow my dream. I have been working my ass off to recover (for myself).

I appreciate any advice or truths.

Thanks and enjoy your times,
Christian

blue02hd
02-18-2015, 05:21
Have you contacted a recruiter? Can you max the PT Test for 18- 21?

And yes, it is unheard of.

JimP
02-18-2015, 08:18
These days it will be damn near impossible. I busted ass trying to help out a Ivy league football player. Had some knee work done and had a couple of the top surgeons in the country declare him 100%. The surgeries required a waiver from the Surgeon at USAREC (?).

Anyways, despite a VERY strong packet and me personally talking to her over the phone, she was unwilling to take the chance on this stud and simply would NOT approve it.

Chances are if you have been "medically retired" you won't be able to come back. They would either have to admit they were wrong about the intitial diagnosis and resultant discharge or take a huge chance on your body holding up during training.

Don't see it happening.

Bettersynergy
02-18-2015, 10:13
Thank you blue02hd and JimP for your swift responses.

Time to change my goals to my contingency, maybe some day I can find a way to work with you great folks and provide what I can outside of military if that is the direction life takes me.

blue02hd:
Contacted recruiter, he said he would call me back. This was some time ago.
Max out, not at this time (ashamed as I am to say this now). I am not able to lock my hands behind my head due to range of motion in right arm (improving though).
Thank you for you answer.

JimP:
I am starting to see a clearer picture of how things will unfold and I do understand that I can't get what I want just because I want it and for reasons that make sense, as your answer shows. Thanks for the response and a use case.

blue02hd
02-18-2015, 10:50
Better,

Nothing wrong with asking questions and seeking advice. This forum is a gold mine for such needs if rules are followed.

Last thought on this matter;

The attrition rate for the 100% healthy is extremely high already. Prior injuries that have not been fully recovered from will be an "albatross around your neck". It's a young man's sport, and attempting to tackle this beast is not for those merely wanting to join, but who can properly prepare for their worst days mentally and physically and still bring their A Game. Our Brothers on here who run the SFAS program never seem to complain about "small classes".

Good luck with whatever you choose to pursue.

The Reaper
02-18-2015, 11:33
B:

First thank you for your service and sacrifice.

IMHO, you will not be getting a medical waiver to rejoin the Army, much less SF. You probably also have a reenlistment code that prohibits re-entry.

You have answered your country's call when she needed you. Let the next generation pick up the colors and find something else to do that you love.

All the best.

TR

JimP
02-18-2015, 13:21
B:

First thank you for your service and sacrifice.

IMHO, you will not be getting a medical waiver to rejoin the Army, much less SF. You probably also have a reenlistment code that prohibits re-entry.

You have answered your country's call when she needed you. Let the next generation pick up the colors and find something else to do that you love.

All the best.

TR

Great advice - well stated.

Thank you for your service as well Better. Good on ya!!

Bettersynergy
02-19-2015, 17:03
blue02hd-
That is very well put and the "albatross around the neck" idiom, I think hits the nail on the head. If I were to jump into this and reentry wasn't holding me back I would still be held back with the potential of flair ups. Thank you for helping me.

TR-
Thank you for your words, I trust it is time as well. Maybe I can still serve the country as an analyst somewhere, as my combatant time has seen it's days.
Thank you for your service!

JimP-
Thank you for your continued service as well!
It seems all the advice given has been gold. :munchin

My contingency is red team work, I have already become a security analyst, working toward penetration testing for physical and digital environments. I can't imagine the agencies aren't short on those folks.

Thank you all so much, it's time to keep on keeping on. I hope to work with you all in some way, at some time.

Bettersynergy