PDA

View Full Version : Expired driver's license in Germany

Sdiver
02-01-2015, 14:34
Just a heads up ....

Spoke with my brother, who is stationed at Ramstein AFB, this morning, where he told me about this "new" problem service members and dependents are facing in Germany.

If you have a US State issued driver's license that is expired, and you are pulled over or checked at a road side check point by the German polizei, they will NOT honor it. Even if you have a military (or dependent) ID, or even an International driver's license, the polizei will and can, confiscate your license, keys, and vehicle.

As my SIL said, "Someone at the Embassy dropped the ball and didn't renew the agreement."

It's okay to drive on a US military instillation with an expired D.L., but once you go off base and onto the economy .... watch out.

Richard
02-01-2015, 14:47
Here's what's going on.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2015/01/16/usareur-to-drivers-stay-off-german-roads-if-no-valid-us-license.html

When I was on AD, my CA license had a staement on the back to the effect that it was vaild - even if the date was expired - as long as I was in AFS and 30 days upon separation.

Richard

mojaveman
02-01-2015, 15:59
Does anyone remember having to memorize this madness?

glebo
02-02-2015, 06:51
Same thing's going on with my daughter inlaws license. I don't think you can renew online either, I think she has a NC license. I'll check online to find out. Ryal pIA with the SOFA, yup, someone dropped the ball...

Ret10Echo
02-02-2015, 06:54
I seem to recall having a Texas license that noted "Valid without photo" (there was no photo) as I renewed it through the mail while on active duty.

And Mojave... Yup, I do remember the signs.

doctom54
02-02-2015, 10:12

YEP:(

-Jas-
02-02-2015, 12:19
Talked to a friend who is a LEO in the Grafenwöhr area.

He told me, that he and his colleauges know about the issue but don't prosecute it out of the sheere nonsense.

German Driver Licences don't expire...

Anyway the legal issue if involved in an accident is still inherrent.

I hate my countries burocracy but given that USAEUR had 2 yrs knowledge upfront begs the question "WTF? Why hasnt anyone done something yet? Like an exemption..."

glebo
02-02-2015, 13:16
Talked to a friend who is a LEO in the Grafenwöhr area.

He told me, that he and his colleauges know about the issue but don't prosecute it out of the sheere nonsense.

German Driver Licences don't expire...

Anyway the legal issue if involved in an accident is still inherrent.

I hate my countries burocracy but given that USAEUR had 2 yrs knowledge upfront begs the question "WTF? Why hasnt anyone done something yet? Like an exemption..."

what a coincedence, they're at Vilseck..

Ret10Echo
02-02-2015, 15:18
I had acquired an International Driver's License while I was there....but it requires a valid license from your place of residence... So that is no help.

Javadrinker
02-02-2015, 15:23

I do indeed.

-Jas-
02-27-2015, 07:25
Problem seems solved

http://www.stripes.com/news/europe/germany-will-again-recognize-expired-us-state-driver-s-licenses-1.331763

See you on our roads ;)