PDA

View Full Version : Think you know Archery

PRB
01-24-2015, 19:23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEG-ly9tQGk

SF_BHT
01-24-2015, 20:34
That was great......

Makes me feel like a idiot with how I used to shoot...

PRB
01-24-2015, 20:36
That was great......

Makes me feel like a idiot with how I used to shoot...

Loved it...especially his research into the technique...made me mentally redefine ancient battle.
A mounted Mongol must of been something to behold.
Archery never appealed to me before but this sure as hell does.l

Sohei
01-24-2015, 20:48
...Archery never appealed to me before but this sure as hell does.l

I have a guy that works for me who competes nationally in archery. His shooting is outstanding. Because of him, I had gotten to the point where I was seriously thinking about buying me a bow and starting to practice with it because I was truly impressed with his abilities to make shots with a bow that were truly impressive.

Videos like this one, reinforce my desire to learn the "art" of using a bow.

He must have incredible muscle memory to call upon for many of those shots.

His cyclic rate of fire in some of those shots were faster than some people I know can change magazines.:D

PRB
01-24-2015, 20:52
I have a guy that works for me who competes nationally in archery. His shooting is outstanding. Because of him, I had gotten to the point where I was seriously thinking about buying me a bow and starting to practice with it because I was truly impressed with his abilities to make shots with a bow that were truly impressive.

Videos like this one, reinforce my desire to learn the "art" of using a bow.

He must have incredible muscle memory to call upon for many of those shots.

His cyclic rate of fire in some of those shots were faster than some people I know can change magazines.:D

Lars is a world class athlete...his vision and reaction time is amazing.
What I find fascinating is his research and re creating lost techniques that make tremendous sense when viewed.
He's rediscovered lost history. Applying this to ancient battlefield analysis might change many of our 'we thinks' to something else.

Sohei
01-24-2015, 21:03
...his research and re creating lost techniques... He's rediscovered lost history. Applying this to ancient battlefield analysis might change many of our 'we thinks' to something else.

His study of the historical techniques is one of the things I like the most about him. Since your OP, I have been checking out other sites concerning him and archery.

Thanks for the post...very interesting to say the least.

mojaveman
01-24-2015, 21:46
...made me mentally redefine ancient battle.

Same here, I immediately wondered if some of those guys during the battle of Hastings in 1066 were grabbing arrows out of the air and then shooting them back at their adversaries. :D

A mounted Mongol must of been something to behold.

Better yet, how about 1,000 mounted Mongols.

Lionshare
01-24-2015, 22:57

frostfire
01-24-2015, 23:51
I would like to see a similar video about swordsmanship. I feel like that it also been heavily 'hollywood-ized'.

J

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsAC5ni0w6Q

Isao Machii is born in the wrong era...
I don't think cutting 6mm BB in flight is on the book of final Iado shidan test

TOMAHAWK9521
01-25-2015, 00:09
I would like to see a similar video about swordsmanship. I feel like that it also been heavily 'hollywood-ized'.

J

There was a program on Netflix called "Reclaiming The Blade" that discussed how western civilization departed from swordsmanship and such with advent of gun powder, much more so than the eastern world. The show discussed how swords have always been kept alive by Hollywood and the theater. The Lord of the Rings movies have really played a major role in the renewed interest in swordplay in recent years.

Now it seems there are western martial art schools throughout Europe which focus on the bladed weapons, arts and tactics of old. I thought it was an interesting show. I'd like to see someone do more with this.

mugwump
01-25-2015, 01:44
Every afternoon, two guys used to duel with broadswords in full plate armor at the Royal armor museum in Leeds. It was fast and shockingly (simulated) brutal. One of the guys did a standing backflip while wearing the plate to show that the Hollywood portrayal of the heavy knight was false. Those guys were superb athletes and scholars of the sword.

Team Sergeant
01-25-2015, 09:46
Then they invented the "gun".......:munchin

TOMAHAWK9521
01-25-2015, 11:09
Then they invented the "gun".......:munchin

Here you go, TS. Now you can have the best of both worlds. Martial arts with swords and martial arts with guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWsz7u4eN8I&spfreload=10

Sdiver
01-25-2015, 11:42
Here you go, TS. Now you can have the best of both worlds. Martial arts with swords and martial arts with guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWsz7u4eN8I&spfreload=10

LMAO .... I love it !!!!!
All that sword slicing and dicing, and not a single drop of blood on his fancy white suit. :D

Sdiver
01-25-2015, 13:44
You mean this :lifter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I_Ds2ytz4o

Well played, Brush ... Well Played. :D

Pete
01-25-2015, 14:12
They have seven guns

SF_BHT
01-25-2015, 15:08

OFF TOPIC POST

BANNNNNN HIMMMMMM :eek:

We are talking Cowboys and Indians :p

chance
01-25-2015, 15:41

Here's the story behind that scene.

http://herocomplex.latimes.com/movies/harrison-ford-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-swordsman-scene-was-my-idea/

Team Sergeant
01-25-2015, 18:10
Yeah, tell you what, I'd be happy to challenge the worlds best archer to a duel. He can have all the arrows he wants, I'll take one mag. We start at 200 meters......:munchin

PRB
01-25-2015, 19:24
I believe we've spun out of control here....neat history adjustment huh?

Team Sergeant
01-26-2015, 15:34
I believe we've spun out of control here....neat history adjustment huh?

I know but it's kind of a BS story IMO.

A bow is a "stand-off" weapon and this individual is posting videos of him shooting targets up close, very close. Plus in my opinion again, he's not hitting them hard enough to fully penetrate and if they were wearing armor forget it.
I'm not buying it, not his "style" of up close shooting anyway. ;)

PRB
01-26-2015, 15:38
Could be as it's hard to tell.
My interest was the historical aspect demonstrated on the carvings etc of the thumb side hold and quick shooting.
Makes great sense and an 'oh, duh' kind of thing.

TOMAHAWK9521
01-26-2015, 18:38
I may not have remembered this exactly, but I believe the king of England dictated that all males from 15 on up had to practice with the long bow daily. That may not be anything special if you consider using 30-50lb bows. However, the English Long Bow/War Bow was something around 150-180lb draw weight.

Archeologists were able to identify those longbow men by the disproportionate development of their bodies. One side had to push 100lbs while the other pulled 50-80 pounds.

Considering this, I doubt the English bowmen, no matter how strong they were, could physically afford the practice of using the rapid firing arrow technique.

BoyScout
01-26-2015, 21:49
The longbowmen though were a different type of archer I'd think. Their job was to stand in a position and as a group launch arrows at the enemy.

If I remember right, many of them also had weapons such as oversized daggers, axes and swords if the cavalry or infantry could not protect them. There were also different pay levels and a replacement system as well. I want to say that they had shield to stand behind but I could be wrong. The Battle of Crecy might have been their finest hour.

As for shooting a bow, I lived within a quarter mile of a free archery range and would spend an hour and a half to two hours a day with a 50lbs Bear compound bow for several years in my early teens. I got good, real good, but never to that level.

Longstreet
01-27-2015, 05:59
Yeah, tell you what, I'd be happy to challenge the worlds best archer to a duel. He can have all the arrows he wants, I'll take one mag. We start at 200 meters......

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side . . . "

Maybe Han was onto something?

Team Sergeant
01-27-2015, 07:10
So I was Googling him and apparently there is a huge stink in the archery world over his videos, some critics saying he is a fraudster while others saying the critics are just butthurt.

Yeah, I'm thinking social media is giving rise to many "experts"....

Let's just say I don't think I'd be inviting Lars to be a part of my medieval "assault unit"....... :rolleyes:

RomanCandle
01-27-2015, 09:33
If you watch a Kendo match, I think they show a more realistic depiction of how samurai probably fought. In Hollywood, they are always swinging the swords all over the place, but in reality, it was probably rather boring, because each time you try to strike can mean your death or his.

Yes the marathon sword swinging and clanging is cringe-worthy. Some years ago I spent some months trying to learn the (very) basics from Kenjutsu Sensei Eugene Botha. To say that the Japanese technique of closing with the sword is terrifyingly swift and often very close up. The average duel would have been over in a second or less with little or no sword on sword contact.

An individual skilled in the use of modern or ancient weapons is truly something to behold.

PRB
01-28-2015, 21:09
Yes the marathon sword swinging and clanging is cringe-worthy. Some years ago I spent some months trying to learn the (very) basics from Kenjutsu Sensei Eugene Botha. To say that the Japanese technique of closing with the sword is terrifyingly swift and often very close up. The average duel would have been over in a second or less with little or no sword on sword contact.

An individual skilled in the use of modern or ancient weapons is truly something to behold.

I spent a week living in Fred Lovret's DOJO many moons ago learning the basics of Kenjutsu and still have my Katana. He worked our asses off and it was a great experience.
We used both wooden and live blades.
I did it more for the spirit but it is an amazing way....correct on a master...not much sword clashing if at all...you draw and kill.

Team Sergeant
01-28-2015, 22:12
Sir, I don't think Lars is trying to prove that the bow is superior to the gun, just what is possible with the bow. It will be interesting to see what the next few decades bring as people will probably start learning to shoot like Lars and doing so with tougher bows. He may well have paved the way to a whole new way of doing archery in modern times.

No I was not trying to make that point, I was just stating for the record it's obsolete. And his method is more "reality archery" than real archery. Some dude shooting like him in a medieval battle would not bother me as much as those dudes with the heavy duty long bows and big big arrows.......

RomanCandle
01-29-2015, 04:09
Here's a demo by Sensei Botha. At about 30s are students practicing the parry of the down cut and shows quite well the deflective nature of the parry and how close the blade is allowed to pass by whilst being deflected. The demo of Short Staff - Jo vs Bokken wooden sword is also interesting. Famous swordsman Miyamoto Musashi is said to have virtually forsaken the sword in his later duels and used only the wooden staff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK9__B07Ark

Team Sergeant
02-03-2015, 09:42
I think this guy makes some excellent points: LINK (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU4PSENakKw&feature=youtu.be)

Sigaba, you have a project assignment :cool:

Opinions are like assholes.

If this guy was a PhD in medieval warfare he'd be worth listening to......

There's a reason medieval armies lined up facing each other with spears, shields and swords....... and archers stayed back, behind the warriors.

He's just another youtube idiot.

mugwump
02-03-2015, 10:31
I think he makes a lot of sense, especially in his observations of technique vs. results and how "experts" get butthurt when someone shows them up. I've been blowing PhDs out of the water (with my BS degree from a third-tier state school) for the last 20 years. Nearly all moaned about my lack of "technique." Screw that; I worry about results.

The Mongols with their light and heavy mounted archers obliterated the cream of Eastern/Central European medieval military power (the combined defending force of Poles, Germans, Czechs, French/Italian feudal knights) at The Battle of Legnica. The traditional medieval formations didn't stand a chance against the fire-and-maneuver tactics of the Mongols. And the Mongol force that destroyed the Eastern Europeans was just a flanking screen. The main Mongol army was sacking Hungary at the time.

The only thing that stopped the Mongols from slashing their way to the Atlantic was political infighting. If the Mongols had a more robust political system (succession especially) they would have had an empire that stretched from the Pacific to the Atlantic.

Team Sergeant
02-03-2015, 13:25
I think he makes a lot of sense, especially in his observations of technique vs. results and how "experts" get butthurt when someone shows them up. I've been blowing PhDs out of the water (with my BS degree from a third-tier state school) for the last 20 years. Nearly all moaned about my lack of "technique." Screw that; I worry about results.

The Mongols with their light and heavy mounted archers obliterated the cream of Eastern/Central European medieval military power (the combined defending force of Poles, Germans, Czechs, French/Italian feudal knights) at The Battle of Legnica. The traditional medieval formations didn't stand a chance against the fire-and-maneuver tactics of the Mongols. And the Mongol force that destroyed the Eastern Europeans was just a flanking screen. The main Mongol army was sacking Hungary at the time.

The only thing that stopped the Mongols from slashing their way to the Atlantic was political infighting. If the Mongols had a more robust political system (succession especially) they would have had an empire that stretched from the Pacific to the Atlantic.

So you think bows and arrows carried the day huh...... no mention of Mongol horses?

And the Mongols light forces carried both light and heavy bows. While the Mongol heavies were the spear and sword carrying dudes.....

Fighting an entire Army on horseback would have been a bitch in those days.