PDA

View Full Version : Silver Browning 9mm Pistol

69stang
01-21-2015, 20:39
I was watching a show called Secrets of the Arsenal the other night and they showed a Special Forces SSG from Vietnam who was given a silver Browning 9mm hi point in a display case for his time as a recon patrol leader in SOG. I didn't catch the guys name as I came into the show late but he stated that the pistol itself was top secret and he couldn't show it to anybody for years.

Now that it's been declassified, is there any more information on these? I did a number of searches and didn't find anything on this forum and only one decent google hit.

mark46th
01-21-2015, 21:37
The Browning 9MM was part of the uniform of the day for a Vietnam era SF soldier. A Rolex and a star sapphire ring completed the bling... I haven't heard of a silver pistol.

JJ_BPK
01-22-2015, 05:12
I was watching a show called Secrets of the Arsenal the other night and they showed a Special Forces SSG from Vietnam who was given a silver Browning 9mm hi point in a display case for his time as a recon patrol leader in SOG. I didn't catch the guys name as I came into the show late but he stated that the pistol itself was top secret and he couldn't show it to anybody for years.

Now that it's been declassified, is there any more information on these? I did a number of searches and didn't find anything on this forum and only one decent google hit.

You probably spotted a Browning Hi Power, HP35. The MACV/SOG crowd had access to all sorts of non-standard foreign weapons, plus some other people.

The Browning goes way back. It was and still may be issue to Canadian, Brits, Oz, and a couple other services. It is a 9MM, designed by John Browning in 1923 and had a 13 round Mag. There was also an Artillery model with a large rear sight and wood stock. I think it was designed for France, as they had tiny hands and could not fire the 1911?? :eek:

Browning is the same fellow that designed the 1911 for the US.

These non-standard weapons could be taken home if the individual filed the appropriate "reregistration of war trophy" paper work DD form 603. I brought a brand new in cosmoline, Chi-Com 7.62 Type 52/54, which is the same as the Russian TT33. I re-leaved it from a Chinese officer trying to sneak into Viet Nam via Cambodia.

The only caveat was it had to be made outside the USA and could not be fully automatic,,, and the 1st Sgt liked you... :D

When guys rotated back to the real world, the teams would give going away trophies. If, I say IF it was specially marked with an engraved raid or operation, it may have had some security attached, but I doubt it.

Along with the Star Sapphire & Rolex,, you also needed a CISO/SOG Recon Knife by Ben Baker and Olympus PEN EE camera. :lifter

:munchin

blue02hd
01-22-2015, 06:41
Unlike today, when Green Berets now require a Yarlborough, Harley, beard, and Facebook account.

Times be a changing.

69stang
01-22-2015, 07:15
You probably spotted a Browning Hi Power, HP35.

Yes, Hi Power, that's what I meant to type. I did some further digging on this and found a .pdf file on the display ones I saw.

http://www.ultimatesniper.com/Historic%20Articles/SOGS-Most-Exclusive-Memorabilia-Silver-Pistol.PDF

69stang
01-22-2015, 07:25
Unlike today, when Green Berets now require a Yarlborough, Harley, beard, and Facebook account.

Times be a changing.

I need a Harley now? The wife is going to love that....

Team Sergeant
01-22-2015, 08:40

I'm betting Ambush Master knows...... ;) Hell it might have been him!

Javadrinker
01-23-2015, 14:07
Robert J. Graham

pcfixer
01-24-2015, 06:59
Robert J. Graham

Yes. Just watched the show this morning. MACV/SOG captured the head cook that
at first was a joke according the account on TV. Later they found out he knew
positions, numbers etc of the enemy. :lifter

Sure one nice firearm.

Ambush Master
01-24-2015, 22:23
I'm betting Ambush Master knows...... ;) Hell it might have been him!

It wasn't me. I did get a Chrome Plated and Engraved Bananna Knife. I do know several folks that did get the Nickle Plated Brownings though. I personally carried one into country then declared it a "War Trophy" and brought it home!! Still have it!!

Later
Martin