PDA

View Full Version : Reloading 45 acp

Brush Okie
01-17-2015, 18:00
So I am looking at reloading this round. Couple of questions

What is a good, clean burning powder? I am looking for full power loads for 230 gr not +p just full power. Also something that meters well. I use extruded powders for rifle reloading. While IMR 4064 and Varget are great powders they meter like crap hence for this one I want something that meters. (I know they are rifle powders and don't use them in pistol. Just using an example of why I want something that meters well)

What about lead cast bullets? Thinking of them for cost cutting for my practice ammo vs ball.

Internet research has lead me to N320. Anyone have experience with this powder in 45?

I know there are lots of good choices. Just looking for a good option or two within those parameters and there is so much BS out there.......

Toaster
01-17-2015, 19:03
Have you heard or looked at the coated lead bullets by Falcon. I've got a buddy who likes them a great deal, and finds that Glocks don't have any problems with them.

http://www.falconbullets.com/category_s/1862.htm

Peregrino
01-17-2015, 19:24
Given the hazards associated with elevated blood lead levels (literally reams of paper at work on the subject) I've been shooting plated bullets for years. Berry's or Rainier are two I'm partial to; X-Treme is one I intend to look into next week. There are a lot of suitable pistol powders, my #1 caution would be to exercise precautions to ensure you never confuse the pistol powder with a rifle powder. Instant invitation to a kaboom. I like WW231 because it meters well and loads everything except magnums. I've also got Autocomp and when I run out of that I'll experiment with CFE Pistol. The rifle CFE has a good reputation and I would expect that to carry over. Good luck.

Brush Okie
01-17-2015, 20:33
Thanks guys. Yea I know about the rifle/pistol disaster from my reading. I have reloaded for rifle on and off since 89.

I appreciate the lead exposure heads up so will try some of the ones you linked.

blue02hd
01-18-2015, 06:37
An alternate source of plated lead rounds if you don't see your specific bullet at Berry's or Rainier would be Montana Gold.

http://montanagoldbullet.com/

I've been using bulk orders of MG for years and would recommend them. Of course I don't have the expertise of others on this thread, I do quite a but of "practice round conjuring" for my pistols.

cold1
01-18-2015, 07:39
I have started casting my own this year. Not a high volume shooter just a Cheap ass. Its quick and easy but you can take it to extremes if you like. I dont know about your area but powders are hard to find around here (NC). I was at a gun show yesterday and pistol powders were almost non existent. You may have to make a list of what you would like to use and then go shopping to see if you can find any of them.

There is a great website, castboolits, that has tons of info on casting and loads for cast bullets. If you have concerns about shooting unplated lead, you can powder coat the bullets. Basically dump bullets in coolwhip container, add powder, shake and bake. Lots of info over there on the subject.

WRMETTLER
01-19-2015, 11:03
VV 320 is an excellent .45 powder. Iíve loaded thousands 230 lrn, plated, and fmj rounds with this powder. It meters very well through a Dillon 550 and is clean burning, but unfortunately, it is also very expensive (between $40 and $45 / pd) and hard to acquire.

Iíve changed to Unique with good, but dirty, smoky results. But, itís consistently available.

Go to Brian Enos forums and checkout their reloading information. Lots of good 45 powder.

I now load 200 gr lrn and use nitrile gloves from Costco when actually handling the lead bullets during reloading.

Team Sergeant
01-19-2015, 20:13
VV 320 is an excellent .45 powder. Iíve loaded thousands 230 lrn, plated, and fmj rounds with this powder. It meters very well through a Dillon 550 and is clean burning, but unfortunately, it is also very expensive (between $40 and $45 / pd) and hard to acquire.

Iíve changed to Unique with good, but dirty, smoky results. But, itís consistently available.

Go to Brian Enos forums and checkout their reloading information. Lots of good 45 powder.

I now load 200 gr lrn and use nitrile gloves from Costco when actually handling the lead bullets during reloading.

What happened to just washing your hands afterwards? ;)