PDA

View Full Version : Fish Tacos


chance
01-13-2015, 11:13
I'm making fish tacos tonight, anyone have ideas for a side?:D

Team Sergeant
01-13-2015, 11:28
Sides? Seriously?

It's tacos, they have everything in them for a balanced meal..... :rolleyes:

Do you have sides with pizza?

chance
01-13-2015, 11:31
"Do you have sides with pizza?"

Yes, a salad.:lifter

Team Sergeant
01-13-2015, 11:36
Vegan......

chance
01-13-2015, 11:37
LOL!!!:D

JJ_BPK
01-13-2015, 11:51
I'm making fish tacos tonight, anyone have ideas for a side?:D

Beer,, preferably cold,, DOS EQUIS, Gold

SF Hunter
01-13-2015, 11:54
Do you have sides with pizza?

Mac & Cheese. Gotta bump up that Cholesterol number.

SF Hunter
01-13-2015, 11:56
I'm making fish tacos tonight, anyone have ideas for a side?:D

Spanish or yellow rice

Team Sergeant
01-13-2015, 11:57
Spanish or yellow rice

Don't listen to him! Just look where he's from, they eat rice with every meal! ;)

SF Hunter
01-13-2015, 11:59
they eat rice with every meal! ;)

Damn right. Shrimp also seems to end up in just about every meal.

Team Sergeant
01-13-2015, 12:02
Damn right. Shrimp also seems to end up in just about every meal.

And one place I've never been. I've got to get down there and try some of that great food before the next big hurricane knocks LA off the map...... ;)

Dusty
01-13-2015, 14:18
Jalapenos

Bob45nm
01-13-2015, 14:35
Every time I go to Florida to visit my team leader (Parker) it takes me Two days to get out of LA. Good food

mark46th
01-13-2015, 15:20
What fish are you using? Fried or grilled? In Baja, there is usually a salsa bar or you can tell the taquero what you want on your tacos. Some places have a kind of slaw they put on them. For me- two tortillas(corn), a piece of battered fried fish, a squeeze of lime and pico de gallo. Halibut is the best but I have eaten Calico Bass, rockfish, yellowtail, cabezon...

chance
01-13-2015, 18:12
I did Talapia, and for the side I went with a corn and black bean cold salad.

mark46th
01-13-2015, 21:57
Tilapia? Not my favorite, but edible. it always tasted a little muddy to me. Freshwater fish- Crappie is the best, catfish is good, too. Try battered fried shrimp. Very good. And the holiest of holy, Abalone....

chance
01-13-2015, 22:04
I've never tried Battered shrimp, but yes; Abalone is awesome just hard to find here at Campbell.

mark46th
01-13-2015, 22:13
Hard to find in Southern California and they grow here. Abalone goes for close to $100.00/Lb...

chance
01-13-2015, 23:36
Hard to find in Southern California and they grow here. Abalone goes for close to $100.00/Lb...

Yes, but for that once a year meal, man is it worth it.:D

JJ_BPK
01-14-2015, 05:16
I did Talapia, and for the side I went with a corn and black bean cold salad.

I was in 6th SFG in 69. One of the new harts-n-minds tricks was to create local markets for subsistence farmers. A lot of rural areas in the world needed a cash crop to create a viable market economy.

The plan was to dig community ponds in the low areas of cattle & sheep pastures. Populate them with talapia fry. They are bottom feeders and the idea was the fish would recycle the abundant 1/2 chewed patties.

The farmers would have a marketable product within 4-6 months. It was a sustainable low costs source of fresh protein.

At least that was the story.. :munchin

I don't eat talapia.. :D

Team Sergeant
01-14-2015, 09:17
I was in 6th SFG in 69. One of the new harts-n-minds tricks was to create local markets for subsistence farmers. A lot of rural areas in the world needed a cash crop to create a viable market economy.

The plan was to dig community ponds in the low areas of cattle & sheep pastures. Populate them with talapia fry. They are bottom feeders and the idea was the fish would recycle the abundant 1/2 chewed patties.

The farmers would have a marketable product within 4-6 months. It was a sustainable low costs source of fresh protein.

At least that was the story.. :munchin

I don't eat talapia.. :D

Shrimp, lobster, crab etc are also bottom feeders...... ;)

Gypsy
01-14-2015, 20:50
And the holiest of holy, Abalone....

Sigh...oh the memories. My ex and his brother used to dive for it, we'd eat it fresh from the ocean.

mark46th
01-14-2015, 22:09
Abalone is why I learned to dive. Now, in California, the limit is two and the only place to take them is in an area North of Yankee Point in Northern Calif., and, no SCUBA, Free Dive only. Someone drowns almost every year when they get tangled in the kelp...

The first time I ate Abalone was in Ensenada in 1969. $1.25 for 3 steaks, rice, beans, salad and tortillas. Dos Equis were $.50...