PDA

View Full Version : Experimental Marijuana Use

SC45
01-09-2015, 14:33
Quiet Professionals,
I'm not sure which forum to put this question in so I am posting it under "General Discussion." It is a shame I have to ask, but I was wondering if someone who has smoked marijuana six times over a two year period, and hasn't touched it in over three years could enlist with an 18x contract. It is something that I regret and have no intentions of doing again. I have used the search function but couldn't seem to find anything. Thank you for your time.
-SC45

glebo
01-10-2015, 07:22
as long as you list it on your security clearance questionnaire, and didn't sell it. You "should" be fine...

twogun
01-10-2015, 10:11
SC45,

Caveat up front- I have no idea if there is a strict prohibition to enlisting currently with admitted drug use. A few years ago when the flood gates were open I would say no problem, but the Army is getting smaller... I can, however, speak to the security clearance required as an 18 Series, which will initially require a Secret. It is not uncommon for recruiters to advise potential enlistees to be less than forthright on the initial documents. This is not wise and will come back to haunt you should you deny the use on the initial docs. At some point in your potential SF career you will more than likely need some flavor of a Top Secret (with a possible polygraph). The investigation for that can take months and a good investigator will turn over some rocks, and the polygraphers are no joke (generally).

Spend a few minutes looking at the appeals to either suspended, revoked or denied clearances at the DOHA site:

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/2014.html

DOHA publishes all of the appeals regularly on the site and you should be looking at Guideline H (drug use) cases and Guideline E (personal conduct) cases. I say look at personal conduct, because if you are caught lying about drug use, then your trustworthiness will come into question, and generally you will not be eligible. However, if you are honest about the marijuana use, and it was a few years ago, you should be fine regarding the clearance.

My advice, be honest. You don't want to start your career with us with integrity issues.

DOL!

MR2
01-10-2015, 15:05
I think there has been long term effect with SC45 - like failing to comply with initial instructions received when he signed up for this Forum.

SF_BHT
01-10-2015, 16:20
I think there has been long term effect with SC45 - like failing to comply with initial instructions received when he signed up for this Forum.

Yeh he still needs to fill out his profile before anyone answers any mor questions from SC45.
:munchin

SC45
01-10-2015, 16:33
Quiet Professionals,
I apologize for failing to follow simple instructions. I assure you I will try my best to not let it happen again. Thank you for keeping me accountable.
-SC45