PDA

View Full Version : Ranger getting RFS'd, any chance of going to SFAS?

Leadhead
01-07-2015, 04:03
Hello Quiet Professionals,

I am currently a Ranger in the 75th and I am in danger of getting RFS'd (Released for Standards) due to a dumb mistake I made on deployment. Fortunately, I have been told I will be given the chance to return if I meet all the requirements. My goal prior to joining was enlist with an 18X contract but I was not old enough, so I took an Opt 40 and I'm glad I did. I love my unit and what we do, however I still would like to go to SFAS. While reading requirements for SFAS, it says I can not "have been terminated from SF, Ranger, or Airborne duty, unless termination was due to extreme family problems". Would that disqualify me, even though I will be allowed to return to Regiment?

Thank you!

miclo18d
01-07-2015, 05:59
Hello Quiet Professionals,

I am currently a Ranger in the 75th and I am in danger of getting RFS'd (Released for Standards) due to a dumb mistake I made on deployment. Fortunately, I have been told I will be given the chance to return if I meet all the requirements. My goal prior to joining was enlist with an 18X contract but I was not old enough, so I took an Opt 40 and I'm glad I did. I love my unit and what we do, however I still would like to go to SFAS. While reading requirements for SFAS, it says I can not "have been terminated from SF, Ranger, or Airborne duty, unless termination was due to extreme family problems". Would that disqualify me, even though I will be allowed to return to Regiment?

Thank you!
I have not been in The Ranger Regt since 1995 so standards there have changed but, you only got RFS'd for AD, accidental discharge (I think they are called NG now), DUI, Missed Movement, Failure to meet standards, or disciplinary action.

The problem I would see would be that for almost any of those you records will be flagged and when you go to the SF recruiter he is going to tell you sorry.

I would go to the unit you are getting sent to (used to be up for world wide assignment but usually ended up in an infantry unit on Stewart, Benning, or Lewis), do good things there (for 6 months), get with the commander to get you flag lifted, make sure you tell him you intentions upon getting the flag lifted whether that be back to Batt or SFAS, then persue your dream.

Leadhead
01-07-2015, 20:05
I have not been in The Ranger Regt since 1995 so standards there have changed but, you only got RFS'd for AD, accidental discharge (I think they are called NG now), DUI, Missed Movement, Failure to meet standards, or disciplinary action.

The problem I would see would be that for almost any of those you records will be flagged and when you go to the SF recruiter he is going to tell you sorry.

I would go to the unit you are getting sent to (used to be up for world wide assignment but usually ended up in an infantry unit on Stewart, Benning, or Lewis), do good things there (for 6 months), get with the commander to get you flag lifted, make sure you tell him you intentions upon getting the flag lifted whether that be back to Batt or SFAS, then persue your dream.

You're right, that's typically the reasons for RFS. My reason for it was having a device in a designated area I was not supposed to have it. They came down hard on me for it and my squad leader is genuinely shocked at the outcome of it. I was still in the wrong though, so I accept my punishment.

Awesome advice, thank you very much!

miclo18d
01-07-2015, 20:32
Man, I feel for you. I could see getting an Art15 for that but getting the boot? WOW! I feel for ya. It happens though.

Like I said. I knew several guys that got the boot from 3rd Batt as pvts and sp4 that ended up in the 197th on Kelly Hill, that went to Desert Storm and kicked ass against the Iraqi Republican Guard, as squad leaders and team leaders, while 3/75 sat at Benning and did a battalion level circle jerk.

Leadhead
01-07-2015, 20:57
Man, I feel for you. I could see getting an Art15 for that but getting the boot? WOW! I feel for ya. It happens though.

Like I said. I knew several guys that got the boot from 3rd Batt as pvts and sp4 that ended up in the 197th on Kelly Hill, that went to Desert Storm and kicked ass against the Iraqi Republican Guard, as squad leaders and team leaders, while 3/75 sat at Benning and did a battalion level circle jerk.

Oh yeah, that's the best part! I got a field grade Art15 too. I should have added that. Right now, it seems like my chances of getting to go to SFAS are slim, given the field grade article 15 and followed by the boot. My SL is going to push to get me sent to the 82nd. Says they don't care about the RFS, they want Rangers with 6+ months experience to send to school and make leaders, and they have LRS teams.

I keep getting reassuring stories like that, thank you!

Hope to be out there one day with yall.

The Reaper
01-07-2015, 21:37
IMHO, a Field Grade Article 15 is going to be hard to obtain a waiver for, especially these days.

I am sorry, but choices have consequences.

Best of luck.

TR

blue02hd
01-07-2015, 21:43
If we tell you no, will you go away?

If you go away because we tell you no, what good are you?

Your career, your choice.

What do you have to lose?

69harley
01-08-2015, 08:16
Oh yeah, that's the best part! I got a field grade Art15 too. I should have added that. Right now, it seems like my chances of getting to go to SFAS are slim, given the field grade article 15 and followed by the boot. My SL is going to push to get me sent to the 82nd. Says they don't care about the RFS, they want Rangers with 6+ months experience to send to school and make leaders, and they have LRS teams.

I keep getting reassuring stories like that, thank you!

Hope to be out there one day with yall.

Who ever told you the 82nd Abn had LRS Teams is terribly wrong. The 82nd LRSD was disbanded years ago.

Toaster
01-08-2015, 19:19
redacted

SF_BHT
01-08-2015, 22:20
Ok guys I guess you need to read the boards stickies.

This is the SF question forum so please let the QPs answer the ops questions. Also that keeps the thread on topic.:munchin

Leadhead
01-09-2015, 02:52
Thanks QP's.

I've been doing some reading and learned that Article 15's do not go on your official military file if you are an E-4 and below. And it does not follow you to your next unit. If that's true, I've got a better chance than I thought. Time will tell.

Last hard class
01-09-2015, 10:43
Leadhead:

Have you considered gender reassignment?
Of course you would have to go back through RS. As the only probable candidate to pass without lowering the standards your application would be immediately accepted.

Only question is: "How bad do you want it?":D

LHC

Santo Tomas
01-09-2015, 13:48
[QUOTE Have you considered gender reassignment?
[/QUOTE]

damn that was funny