PDA

View Full Version : .... back in the day .....

RaoulJan
12-31-2014, 10:02
Trying to get the dust off 40 year old memories and hoping another, perhaps not so ancient, trooper can fill in a couple of points about Jump School and Smoke Bomb back in '68.

Thank you in advance for any help!

I have checked out both locations via Google Earth and WOW has the earth been churned!

First .. Jump School at Ft. Benning. I remember a lot more trees then are there now. I remember that Headquarters was up hill and across the street from the standard WW2 type barracks and that was just up hill from Ground School and the showers (which don't appear to be there anymore). I think that the Towers are pretty much the same place.

Second .. SFTG at Ft Brag. I remember the barracks were 2 or 3 story more modern construction. Two students to a room(?). Facing out to the street, the Mess Hall was at 9 oclock, the barracks at 3 oclock were empty, HQ was downhill a bit at 6 oclock and at about 8 colock was a building inside a high security fence with a guard station. 82nd was way off on the 3 oclock and the XVIII was way off on the 6 oclock and finally the pad for Bruce was somewhere off at the 5 oclock.

Whew ...

Am I anywhere close?