PDA

View Full Version : Army Captains invite Obama to their wedding. Get more than planned...

Streck-Fu
12-29-2014, 13:04
I was tempted to put this in Comedy but the humor was not intentional.

LINK (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/obamas-golf-game-disrupts-soldiers-154339830.html)

President Barack Obama reportedly issued a personal apology over the weekend after his golf game forced a pair of Army captains to relocate their wedding on a military base in Hawaii.

Bride Natalie Heimel and groom Edward Mallue Jr. actually invited Obama, who is on his annual vacation, to attend their Saturday wedding at Marine Corps Base Hawaii's Kaneohe Klipper Golf Course, according to a Bloomberg report published Monday morning. They received a letter in response saying the president would unfortunately be unable to attend the event.

The soon-to-be-married couple were separately told they would be forced to move their wedding, which was scheduled for the next day, because Obama would be golfing at that location.

"It was kind of ironic they got the letter from them and then, within hours, they were told they had to be moved due to him," Mallue's sister told Bloomberg. "It was emotional, especially for her — she's the bride and in less than 24 hours they had to change everything they had planned."

Badger52
12-29-2014, 13:12
I was tempted to put this in Comedy but the humor was not intentional.Good thing; I don't find that one f'n bit funny.

BlueYing
12-29-2014, 13:25
The biggest day of this couple's life and it has to change so the President can golf? Am I the only one who would change my plans so that they can have their day the way they want it? Even if it turns out better for the couple they will still have a bitter taste in their mouth because of this.

MtnGoat
12-29-2014, 13:28
As the groom, if he is/was a Military member, I would have lost my mind of this. Every radio and News station would have gotten a call from me. A POTUS could not put off a golf game for one or two days to allow this couple their day!!

If I was a business owner there and heard about this. I would have reached out to this couple and then written it off. The golf course should charge the Government extra to cover any additional costs to this couple too.

Sdiver
12-29-2014, 13:33
Remember, it's all about HIM .... fuck the peasants.

Pete
12-29-2014, 13:33
I'll bet this was one of the few times he did find out about this from the press.

Some under secretary probably sent out the standard form "sorry can't make your wedding" and the "clear the golf course" alert never linking the two.

Now a class act would have been playing through with a short stop for pictures.

The Reaper
12-29-2014, 13:49
Now a class act would have been playing through with a short stop for pictures.

Why would I want the POTUS in my wedding pictures?

I will be spending the rest of my life trying to get his image out of my mind already.

I don't need to see a reminder on my wall and coffee table every day.

TR

PatrickS
12-29-2014, 14:59
Several of his staff members will get the axe.

That's a cruel violation of Barry's Top 3 principles!

1. Avoid anything that could ruin public opinion.

2. Never relinquish the opportunity to pull PR stunts.
("Oh, look! It's the President sharing a special moment with simple citizens. He's so down to earth and relaxed. I love him!")

3. Avoid the risk of media reports that link me with golf. It always backfires.

ddoering
12-29-2014, 15:32
Why would I want the POTUS in my wedding pictures?

TR

Look at it this way. He just lost two more of his dwindling military supporters.

Streck-Fu
12-29-2014, 17:03
Look at it this way. He just lost two more of his dwindling military supporters.

The way the article reads, they are ecstatic with the phone call.

PSM
12-29-2014, 18:46
I'm more inclined to believe that he decided to golf there specifically because he knew he could screw up their wedding plans. I'd call him a scumbag, but scumbags serve a purpose.

Pat

Roguish Lawyer
12-29-2014, 18:51
Taking claim, anyone? :munchin

WarriorDiplomat
12-29-2014, 19:58

I wonder if these two knew he wouldn't and the invitation was to prove a point and make it public.?

the squid
12-29-2014, 20:50
I can't objectively hold this against the President.

He's got a gigantic staff who more or less does everything for him, and one of his staffers made the call ahead, and the golf course, probably not wanting to say "no" to the President, made the decision to bump the wedding.

Of course, this gets dumped on the President. Not a fan of the guy, but there are lots of objective reasons to not like the guy - this isn't one of them. JMHO.

sinjefe
12-30-2014, 09:00
The way the article reads, they are ecstatic with the phone call.

The article was a "Yahoo news" article. They love BHO so I would take it with a pound of salt.

JimP
12-30-2014, 09:26
I'd be more outraged if they hadn't planned on ruining their day by inviting King Putt in the first place. They are obviously left-wing whack-jobs who deserved to get shat-upon by the guy they support.

If you don't think they support him - look at their faces during the phone call Kign Putt made to them at the alter. I'd have refused the call and destroyed the phone afterwards but - according to DHS - I am a right-wing, terrorist.

Team Sergeant
12-30-2014, 11:55
The American people wanted a dope smoking, low IQ, lying, racist, lazy, incompetent moron in the White House and they got one.

I would have never expected anything different from that idiot.

His mother , uncle, father, brothers, illegal alien aunt etc are all crazy idiots, what'd you expect?

Scimitar
12-30-2014, 12:12
Digression.

I understand her not being in Uniform, but he's not? That's unusual right? Why wouldn't you want to wear your Class A's on your wedding day?

S

Team Sergeant
12-30-2014, 12:15
Digression.

I understand her not being in Uniform, but he's not? That's unusual right? Smeels a little leftie to me...

S

If you knew how much a set of dress blues (and miniature medals) cost you'd probably get married in a suit and tie instead.........

Streck-Fu
12-30-2014, 12:26
If you knew how much a set of dress blues (and miniature medals) cost you'd probably get married in a suit and tie instead.........

What are the odds he does not have a set? Could an O-3 get away without having a set of blues?

MtnGoat
12-30-2014, 13:13
What are the odds he does not have a set? Could an O-3 get away without having a set of blues?

That's what I would say too. Why would a Officer or any Military Member not have a set of blues currently?

But I didn't get married in my Uniform. So that makes me and anyone else wrong and anti-military?

The Reaper
12-30-2014, 14:38

If he knew what the cost would likely be a few years down the road, he would skip the marriage thing entirely.

TR

Team Sergeant
12-30-2014, 17:29
That's what I would say too. Why would a Officer or any Military Member not have a set of blues currently?

But I didn't get married in my Uniform. So that makes me and anyone else wrong and anti-military?

I didn't have a set for almost 20 years....... ;)

VVVV
12-30-2014, 18:32
Why one would elect not to don this uniform for such a formal occasion escapes me. That's what its for. :confused:

Here are a couple out of a number of reasons:

a. The bride didn't want him to.

b. He didn't want to.

The Reaper
12-30-2014, 18:33
I didn't have a set for almost 20 years....... ;)

IIRC, they are issued to enlisted now that they did away with the Greens.

TR

VVVV
12-30-2014, 18:41
As the groom, if he is/was a Military member, I would have lost my mind of this. Every radio and News station would have gotten a call from me. A POTUS could not put off a golf game for one or two days to allow this couple their day!!

If I was a business owner there and heard about this. I would have reached out to this couple and then written it off. The golf course should charge the Government extra to cover any additional costs to this couple too.

"Much ado about nothing".

"Naile Brennan, the manager of K-Bay Catering, which Bloomberg reported was "handling logistics" for the wedding, said the company was prepared for last-minute changes to events on the course during visits by the president. According to Brennan, Mallue and Heimel had their ceremony moved to another location on the base that was "much prettier."

Gypsy
12-30-2014, 18:42
If he knew what the cost would likely be a few years down the road, he would skip the marriage thing entirely.

TR

Ba-da-bing! :D

MR2
12-31-2014, 08:26

TR

Baboom! :lifter

BTW, yesterday was my 25th Anniversary.

Javadrinker
12-31-2014, 09:25

Congratulations to you and your bride. My 25th is coming up in June.

VVVV
12-31-2014, 10:00
Congratulations to you and your bride. My 25th is coming up in June.

June 12th will be our 33rd.

PSM
12-31-2014, 10:17

Congrats! :lifter

Our 30th will be May 4th!

Pat

Team Sergeant
12-31-2014, 10:45
I have a dog and he's "always" happy to see me.......;)

Peregrino
12-31-2014, 18:19
I have a dog and he's "always" happy to see me.......;)

I have two - and they fight over who's happier to see me! :p (The wife accepts it with good grace.)