PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700/Model Seven trigger recall

BryanK
12-16-2014, 17:51
Just a heads up to those who may have a 700 or 7 with the X-Mark Pro trigger. I didn't see it posted yet:

http://blog.cheaperthandirt.com/?p=73499/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=social&utm_content=woody&utm_campaign=20141213-chronicle1213-remingtonmodel700modelsevenriflesrecall

They'll fix it free, but it states "may have extra bonding agent". What part of a trigger, any trigger, uses a "bonding agent"? Do they mean loctite?

The Reaper
12-16-2014, 18:25
My understanding is that the class action lawyers got a $12 million payout. A small portion was distributed to some people who claimed ADs related to the trigger, and all I saw were violating one or more of the safe gun handling rules.

Consumers get a free replacement trigger, which will pretty much be guaranteed to be lawyer heavy and incapable of easy adjustment to a decent pull.

TR

BryanK
12-16-2014, 18:58
Has it devolved to that point? A few people failed to realize what a "light" pull is? Hell, I didn't think my PSS had that light of a pull to begin with. Being a firearm maintenance guy, during my initial and periodic inspection(s) of my 700 with the XMP, I didn't feel or notice anything wrong. The multitude of dead deer, and lack of dead "me" kind of re-enforced my satisfaction with the NIB product.

A sad state of affairs in the legal realm of firearms :(

Peregrino
12-16-2014, 22:29
That's why four of my five center-fire bolt actions are Winchesters. No problems, easily adjusted trigger, and the surety of a Mauser type safety. (And the lonely Remington has a Jewell trigger.) :D

P.S. - Yes, "bonding agent" is a version of Loctite. It's to keep consumers from "adjusting" the lawyer proof trigger pull.

Badger52
12-17-2014, 11:54
Never had a problem with Rem triggers. Then again, some people should keep their hands out of things the run on electricity too.

I did know someone who goobered one up so bad it wouldn't cock-on-open & it cost him a nice deer. Tells me he never noticed the position of the striker, or that the safety wouldn't engage. When he's up at the property I always put two major terrain features between us.
:rolleyes:

DJ Urbanovsky
12-17-2014, 13:48
I replaced mine with a Timney. Problem solved.

mark46th
12-17-2014, 21:45
I put Timney's on mine, also.

Guymullins
12-18-2014, 01:49
I have a .375 H&H Remington 700 from their custom shop and couldn't be more happy with the trigger supplied. It is quite an old gun, so the new problem did not apply.

Roguish Lawyer
03-28-2016, 16:21
So my Remington 700 fired a couple of days ago when I switched the safety off. My finger was not on the trigger. The weapon fortunately was pointed in a safe direction. :mad:

Brush Okie
03-28-2016, 17:06
So my Remington 700 fired a couple of days ago when I switched the safety off. My finger was not on the trigger. The weapon fortunately was pointed in a safe direction. :mad:

This has been an issue from day one supposedly. Put in a timmney and don't look back

The Reaper
03-28-2016, 17:33

Remington issued a recall, IIRC.

After a class action suit.

Was it stock, or had it had a trigger job?

TR

Roguish Lawyer
03-28-2016, 17:41
Remington issued a recall, IIRC.

After a class action suit.

Was it stock, or had it had a trigger job?

TR

Stock. I just ordered a Timney with 2.5 lb. trigger. I don't want to deal with shipping to Remington etc then having them put one of their triggers on it.

Roguish Lawyer
03-28-2016, 17:43
By the way, TR, the SWAT team guys we were hunting with kept complimenting all of the stuff you told me to buy (scope, MSTN custom AR, etc.). :D

The Reaper
03-28-2016, 17:50
Stock. I just ordered a Timney with 2.5 lb. trigger. I don't want to deal with shipping to Remington etc then having them put one of their triggers on it.

I am pretty sure that the quality of trigger you got back would be worse than the one you had. Minus the self-discharges.

The Timney will be fine, you can probably install it yourself, but I would have someone who builds rifles for a living install it.

Just my .02.

By the way, TR, the SWAT team guys we were hunting with kept complimenting all of the stuff you told me to buy (scope, MSTN custom AR, etc.). :D

Glad to hear that it is working for you.

TR