PDA

View Full Version : BullPup Designs & Desert Tech’s MDR ??

JJ_BPK
12-16-2014, 07:47
Desert Tech has just announced their new Micro Dynamic Rifle(MDR) bullpup.

http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/hands-on-with-desert-techs-innovative-micro-dynamic-rifle/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+ItsTactical+%28ITS+Tactical%29

It has me thinking. Do any of you have experience with bullpup designs like the Brit SA80/L85 series, that you want to share??

The Brits love'm and the US doesn't.

:munchin

Civwordkeeper
12-16-2014, 07:59
Not quite like the sa80, mainly because it's more polymer, but I've shot a favor a few times. It's weird at first because all the weight is in the stock, but I think it's much more comfortable.

Mustang Man
12-16-2014, 10:30
Overseas I talked to some British Infantrymen about what they thought of the SA80 and they had mixed feelings. Some liked it and some hated it just like how some of us here like or dislike the M4. Some of them preferred our M4 because of how light they are compared to their rifles.

I unfortunately didn't get range time with it but got to shoulder it and it felt surprisingly ergonomic in my opinion. I like bullpup weapons and don't really see much disadvantages maybe somebody here with more experience and knowledge can point them out.

Pete
12-16-2014, 10:40
Not quite like the sa80, mainly because it's more polymer, but I've shot a favor a few times. It's weird at first because all the weight is in the stock, but I think it's much more comfortable.

24 hours is up.

Enjoy your new user title.

Peregrino
12-16-2014, 21:59
Nice call. Though it's a pity you didn't let him hang around long enough to educate us about the favor bullpup he liked so much. I'm wondering if it's related in any way to the IMI Tavor TAR-21. Oh well, guess I'll have to figure it out on my own. :p

Rob_0811
12-24-2014, 11:29
we did some training with the Brits a few years ago, they came to Texas and we sent some guys to England. I got to try the SA-80 and I wasn't impressed. I tried to give it a chance, but maybe it's because I'm so used to the m16/m4.

After about 10 rounds, I was ready to trade it back for my M4.

I thought the trigger was gritty, the weapon didn't seem as balanced and it seemed like a brick with a barrel stuck into the end.

Pass.

Flagg
12-24-2014, 13:04
I've carried the Steyr AUG for the last 12 years, and I've had a brief play with both the UK SA-80 as well as the Singaporean SAR-21.

I reckon the SA-80 can be quite accurate on the range, but I just don't like the ergonomics, nor the odd strip/assemble.

The SAR-21 seems like a decent rifle that I would rate better than the SA-80.

-----

The Steyr AUG is a rifle I really enjoy carrying and firing.

The downsides include:

Mediocre trigger(bullpup linkage)

Weight(a fair bit heavier than AR when not loaded up with the toys)

Poor balance/pointability when UGL attached

Integrated optic relic of 70's

offhand shooting means you're eating brass

The upside includes:

easy to look after

Great pointability

Compact/ergonomic package(hard to beat prone position firing ergonomics)

Excellent accuracy, a well trained rifleman can consistently hit static known distance targets out to 600m from the prone.

ACOG on picatinny rail makes for a competitive upgrade package

With a bit of training an entire patrol can complete a mag change IA in under 3.5 seconds, but I still reckon AR platform ergonomics are better in this regard.

-----

What's funny is mixing with US and other foreign personnel.

They love our Steyr, we love what they carry(except the FAMAS)

-----

In short, it's a good tool that with upgrades is still competitive(albeit with a list of strengths and weaknesses), although take it with a grain of salt as I'm biased to the positive.