View Full Version : Study: Alpha Males like spicier food
(1VB)compforce
12-15-2014, 04:48
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11293112/Men-who-like-spicier-food-are-alpha-males-with-higher-levels-of-testosterone-French-report-claims.html
Scientists at the highly-respected University of Grenoble have published a report suggesting that regular consumption of chili peppers may raise levels of the hormone (testosterone), which is believed to make men more adventurous, enterprising and sexually active.
Personally, I like enough heat in the food to feel it, but not so much that it wipes out the flavors of everything else. The one exception being MRE's where I really don't want to taste the food.
Given that the population here is primarily composed of Alpha Males, what are your thoughts on adding heat to food? Sriracha,Tobasco, Dave's or something else; what's your preference in hot sauce? Hot enough to destroy your taste buds or just as a flavoring?
Guymullins
12-15-2014, 08:32
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11293112/Men-who-like-spicier-food-are-alpha-males-with-higher-levels-of-testosterone-French-report-claims.html
Personally, I like enough heat in the food to feel it, but not so much that it wipes out the flavors of everything else. The one exception being MRE's where I really don't want to taste the food.
Given that the population here is primarily composed of Alpha Males, what are your thoughts on adding heat to food? Sriracha,Tobasco, Dave's or something else; what's your preference in hot sauce? Hot enough to destroy your taste buds or just as a flavoring?
In a good curry, the hotness should be such that the many other flavors can still be tasted. This does seem to change from person to person, so as a cook, one needs to know ones audience (if thats the right term for someone shouting for milk) and adjust the heat accordingly. I use both lots of ginger and chili powder to attain the required hotness.
Peregrino
12-15-2014, 09:22
Fresh jalapenos make everything better!
It's possible, I keep a bottle of Tabasco sauce in my truck and use as needed.
:munchin
Streck-Fu
12-15-2014, 10:04
I like spicy and flavorful food but the heat can't be overwhelming. Some of the best food I have was in Penang (my only excursion to SE Asia). Incredible blends of flavors with very good use of curries and chiles.
I use a little sriracha fairly often but not enough to overwhelm. And Tobasco is a staple. A common breakfast is an egg sandwich with cheddar and touch of sriracha.
Now living in the Midwest, it is very hard to find a Thai or Szechuan restaurant that will make the dishes as hot as they should be. Too often, even asking for them to make as hot as there scale goes, they are not very spicy. :(
mark46th
12-15-2014, 10:08
I like enough heat to make my lips twitch... If I crave chocolate after. it was pretty good...
(1VB)compforce
12-15-2014, 10:09
I like spicy and flavorful food but the heat can't be overwhelming. Some of the best food I have was in Penang (my only excursion to SE Asia). Incredible blends of flavors with very good use of curries and chiles.
I use a little sriracha fairly often but not enough to overwhelm. And Tobasco is a staple. A common breakfast is an egg sandwich with cheddar and touch of sriracha.
Now living in the Midwest, it is very hard to find a Thai or Szechuan restaurant that will make the dishes as hot as they should be. Too often, even asking for them to make as hot as there scale goes, they are not very spicy. :(
Tell them to make the dish the same way they would make it for themselves. My neighbor owned one of the better Thai restaurants here in Atlanta and he's told me that even when customers ask for the food as hot as they can, they don't load up the peppers for Americans. When they make it for themselves they use a lot of thai chiles that they normally don't put into food for us.