PDA

View Full Version : Fort Bragg to get movie theater

Pete
12-12-2014, 06:17
Fort Bragg to get movie theater, new restaurants on 16-acre complex, according to proposal

http://www.fayobserver.com/news/local/fort-bragg-to-get-movie-theater-new-restaurants-on-/article_b3674b24-3b30-5349-9c96-272559b431c9.html

"A multimillion-dollar entertainment center with a movie theater, restaurants and performance space is proposed for Fort Bragg.

Freedom Crossing at Fort Bragg was approved by the Army & Air Force Exchange Service's finance committee last month, according to officials at AAFES headquarters in Dallas.

The project must now receive the approval of the agency's board of directors, then receive congressional approval, before construction can begin, perhaps in the summer or fall of 2015...."

$21 to $23 million is a bunch of bucks. The story mentions Ft Bliss and somewhere I saw something about the Austin and McCord areas.

This will be north side near the PX complex.

So will a meal and a movie make money on Ft Bragg?

ChuckG
12-12-2014, 06:58
It will be a lot safer and more family friendly than the area around the mall in Fayetteville.

Pete
12-12-2014, 09:12
It will be a lot safer and more family friendly than the area around the mall in Fayetteville.

If you have a little one who eats off the kids menu try Texas Roadhouse on Tuesday. They have two specials - but to get both we have to split the order into two checks.

Little tricky - have to get the order in before 6 and sometimes they try and use the time the waitress puts in the steak order.

So the three big girls get the 6 oz steak special and use the power card to get the free Cactus Blossom - and I order the regular price steak and the little one gets the free kids meal - steak bites.

And if the kids are lucky Andy will show up.

Box
12-12-2014, 17:13
It should be at least as awesome as Sports USA and the SmokeBomb Grill.

Ft Bliss does have a pretty nice PX complex but for fuck sake, its in the god damned desert.
We can afford a movie theater and eateries but a fucking troop still has to worry about shit like tuition and benefits getting cut?
Yep, with a new IMAX theater just down Yadkin road, I would MUCH rather go to the post theater.

YGTBFSM

AWESOME
...simply awesome.
Maybve we should petition AAFES to build a 'Gay Bar' so the complex can be "all inclusive".

glebo
12-12-2014, 18:06
It should be at least as awesome as Sports USA and the SmokeBomb Grill.

Ft Bliss does have a pretty nice PX complex but for fuck sake, its in the god damned desert.
We can afford a movie theater and eateries but a fucking troop still has to worry about shit like tuition and benefits getting cut?
Yep, with a new IMAX theater just down Yadkin road, I would MUCH rather go to the post theater.

YGTBFSM

AWESOME
...simply awesome.
Maybve we should petition AAFES to build a 'Gay Bar' so the complex can be "all inclusive".

haaa, Billy, you never cease to amaze....lolol true though. IMAX...or thug infested post theater...hmmm...hmmm

MAYBE a good thing though, they need to have more troop friendly things on post. Then they wouldn't have to go off post to get in trouble....(like the old days)...they can get in trouble on post...

MtnGoat
12-14-2014, 09:18
These are the new "Floorplans" for military post/bases to increase a better living and lifestyles for all bases. Like Billy said about Fort Bliss, most large posts/bases will be getting these style complexes.

Smaller post/bases, say Ft Polk will be getting large chain restaurants and not the complexes.

I'm for one think they are a good idea. I think every training, Basic/AIT bases should have these to provide a better "visit" for families.

WarriorDiplomat
12-14-2014, 09:40
These are the new "Floorplans" for military post/bases to increase a better living and lifestyles for all bases. Like Billy said about Fort Bliss, most large posts/bases will be getting these style complexes.

Smaller post/bases, say Ft Polk will be getting large chain restaurants and not the complexes.

I'm for one think they are a good idea. I think every training, Basic/AIT bases should have these to provide a better "visit" for families.

And at the same time we are trying to figure out how to reduce Cadre for the Q-course primarily the contractors and some GS positions due to training budget retraints

MtnGoat
12-15-2014, 10:27
And at the same time we are trying to figure out how to reduce Cadre for the Q-course primarily the contractors and some GS positions due to training budget retraints

I totally understand what you are talking about. It's one of those BS Cycles of SWC; we had it happen during my time there. We actually had Contractors leave for other jobs when Parker held out.

Peregrino
12-15-2014, 11:42
Shaking my head. The military spends 35 years destroying QOL on installations and disincentivizing Soldiers from seeking their entertainment on post and now they want to turn it around overnight with a mall entertainment complex? Let me guess - AAFES hasn't been making enough money screwing Soldiers in the PX/BX so now they want to see if they can increase revenue through licensing commercially successful enterprises to operate on base? I hope the commercial enterprises read the contract fine print carefully; AAFES has a phenomenal track record WRT partnering with industry - NOT! Well - except for Burger King and they survive because there isn't much competition. (NTM AAFES fails even faster when they try to do it without commercial partners.) God forbid they ever get their hands on the commissary.

The Reaper
12-15-2014, 13:17
I would invite anyone who thinks this will turn out well to visit any of the shopettes on Ft. Bragg and see the piss poor traffic flow, bad positioning of the too small underground storage tanks (several tanks will usually be empty, some have to be refilled three or more times daily), lack of outdoor service (requiring those paying for gas to get in line inside with everyone else), weak selection and stock of alcohol, limited numbers of cashiers, particularly during rush times, and totally inadequate parking. The North Post facility is probably the finest example of the monumental ineptitude. Imagine a 7-11 with a liquor store inside and a BK attached, with seven parking spaces, two incompetent and surly cashiers, and no unrestricted access from multiple convening highways.

We don't even need to get into the brilliant concept of integrating a liquor store into a gas station with a convenience store and a Burger King.

Go to lunch, gas up, and get a bottle of booze before returning to work.

As soon as AAFES touches a venue, it immediately gets inefficient, less customer friendly, and expensive. Can't want till they take over the commissaries. I bet they are already drawing up plans for that one.

Genius.:rolleyes:

TR

Tree Potato
12-19-2014, 21:05
Go to lunch, gas up, and get a bottle of booze before returning to work.

Add a gun counter and you'd have what ATF really should be.

Box
12-19-2014, 22:50
I pretty much stopped paying for on post entertainment in early 1988...

I used to love the Yntema club on Wednesdays !!!

Now...
not so much