PDA

View Full Version : On the road Quick Downloads

Smokin Joe
12-15-2004, 15:01
Okay I'm on the road right now and my internet connection/ accessiblity sucks. I have 2 data sticks and a lap top with me so I can download stuff, pull it up later and read it.

Is there any way to download like a batch of all the recent posts or all posts for the day without manually going to every post, highlighting it, and then saving it to a word doc?

Also can you do this with e-mails?

Thank you for your time and help.

Kyobanim
12-15-2004, 18:17
Joe,

The only download I'm aware of is the ability to DL your private messages. You can set yourself up to recieve email notifications on the topics but I don't see where you can have the content sent in an email or downloaded.

Maybe Dan will be by soon to firm up an answer.

Dan
12-15-2004, 19:34
BLUF is that there isn't an option for you to copy the content the way you mentioned. There are some cool admin tools that get close, but regular users don't have the same options. For now you need to hit each post like your doing to view posts. If we allowed such a tool we'd need to be selective on who would get access or the database would be get hammered extremely hard. Another option would be to allow post syndication for posts to be logged, but that would probably not be wise at this point.

I've been mulling over setting up a lite version for mobile users with limited bandwidth, but haven't found the time to play with it yet as a personal project. It would use the smiley text instead of the smiley image and with no images that are used to jazz up the forum's looks. Basically it would be a text only version. I guess I need to look into it to see if legally we could do it.

Smokin Joe
12-15-2004, 19:40
Okay thanks guys.

With the e-mails I was thinking more along the lines of this:

I have MSN / hotmail for my e-mail service. Is there a way to batch download my recent e-mails onto datastick via a internet cafe comp then pull them up later via my laptop?

Also are there any security concerns I need to worry about when plugging a data stick into an internet cafe comp?

Thanks again guys.

Kyobanim
12-15-2004, 20:24
I have MSN / hotmail for my e-mail service. Is there a way to batch download my recent e-mails onto datastick via a internet cafe comp then pull them up later via my laptop? Not without reconfiguing the mail client

Also are there any security concerns I need to worry about when plugging a data stick into an internet cafe comp? Yes, viruses, trojans, shit like that. It's entirely possible that the USB port will be deactivated for the same reason

On the email, I believe MSN has a browser based email option. It's a pain, but you could real quick copy and past everything into your word processor and read it later.

Maybe take your laptop into the cafe and just use their dataport? Or get a wirless nic and walk around until you get a signal. I do that a lot.