PDA

View Full Version : Belt fed AR

Brush Okie
11-22-2014, 11:04
Interesting video. Larry Vickers video on the Ares-16. A belt fed or mag fed m-16/m-4 with select fire capabilities. Looks light and handy with lts of firepower. Anyone used this? Is it reliable etc?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY-bUmIGIao&feature=youtu.be

Team Sergeant
11-22-2014, 12:33
A belt fed battle rifle....... yeah, no. There's enough moving parts with the M4. The more junk you put on a weapon the more chances of a jam and to get hung up while moving. Besides how long does it take to switch out the belt??? Too long.

If you require a belt fed weapon I'd suggest one that was designed for such and not one that was redesigned.

The Reaper
11-22-2014, 14:38
IIRC, that is their current version of the "Shrike", which at one time, was around $10,000 for the upper, with a multi-year wait that was vaporware for many years.

The one I fired worked fine.

TR

DJ Urbanovsky
11-23-2014, 12:36
With 60 and 100 round magazines being readily available for that platform, I'm not sure I see the point of a belt fed upper.

Toaster
11-23-2014, 15:04
Could this be one of those solutions looking for a problem?

I'm guessing it fires from the closed bolt because of the 1982 ruling that the BATF made, making open bolt firing weapons machine guns, since they were easy to convert.

This could also be a just because I can creation.

I suppose there are several weapon systems you could convert to a belt fed system. Maybe they'll do the M1A next.

sefryak
11-25-2014, 18:38
Sounds like a great way to get to experience facial reconstructive surgery. Not much metal there to protect you in the event of a cook off.