PDA

View Full Version : MRE's need at add POT???

JJ_BPK
11-20-2014, 08:51
SO,, Why don't we start putting POT in the MRE's?? :mad:

Every morning, former Air Force senior airman Amy Rising makes breakfast for her second-grader, drives him to school and returns home to prepare what she calls her medicine.

She suffers from severe anxiety after four years working in the frenetic global command center at Scott Air Force Base in Illinois, providing logistical and support services for bombings and other missions in Iraq and Afghanistan.

[...]

Although Rising did not serve in Afghanistan or Iraq, she said the pressure of her work was intense. “What was really hard about working in command was never being able to see the damage you did on the ground,” she said. “You start to think about all the orphans and widows you created, and that you do hit civilians.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/more-veterans-press-va-to-recognize-medical-marijuana-as-treatment-option/2014/11/15/51666986-6a7b-11e4-b053-65cea7903f2e_story.html?wprss=rss_homepage

And this is the ALL VOLUNTEER Army???

The Reaper
11-20-2014, 09:36
SO,, Why don't we start putting POT in the MRE's?? :mad:

And this is the ALL VOLUNTEER Army???

I would say someone needs a Chapter, but she would probably go to 100% disability immediately for her non-deployment, self-induced trauma.

Disgraceful. I don't think a lot of strike missions generate out of Scott.

Do they not have a unit urinalysis program or UCMJ available in the USAF?

TR

PSM
11-20-2014, 10:29
Do they not have a unit urinalysis program or UCMJ available in the USAF?

TR

The AF guys I know are questioning whether they are even in the military any more.

Pat

BryanK
11-20-2014, 11:46
I didn't see in the article where it states that she is still on AD. From the OP:

former Air Force senior airman

I for one, support the use of medicinal/recreational MJ for a number of reasons. From anxiety to cancer, it has proven time and time again to be useful. It's a plant for Christ's sake, an unrefined plant. This "Reefer Madness" view toward it is ridiculous and needs to stop.

The federal government has proven that it is not capable of making logical decisions, and the fact that it has not yet been taken off of the schedule one list is insane. To put an unrefined plant in the same category as cocaine, meth, HEROIN (opiates are being issued out like candy to Vets), and LSD is extremely short sighted. Maybe the fact that there is a higher prevalence of MJ than the other drugs that keeps the DEA and its ilk in business could be the reason for its continued prohibition. Follow the money.

Quick story, my great aunt was suffering from stage 4 cancer. All the meds she was on didn't help with her insomnia, nausea, appetite loss, and other associated pains. She then got cleared by her MD to use these cannabis pills which cost $90.00 apiece. She couldn't afford those for very long and had to stop. The pain returned, her appetite disappeared again, and she withered away in a few months in agony. Had she had access to a vaporizer and clean MJ with excellent quality control methods (as they do in places where growing is legal), she may have had an easier life leading to her eventual departure from this earth. It broke my fucking heart to see her go through that.

Just throwing this out there, but let’s say they did allow recreational use of marijuana by the troops. Does anyone honestly believe it would hinder performance more so than troops getting shit faced drunk, fighting, and all other associate malfeasance that comes along with alcohol abuse? There will be declines in performance probably, but no different than those who now abuse alcohol in excess. Those troops are chaptered out accordingly anyway. Same with MJ if it came to that. It is also a personal preference, and if it was legal, that doesn't mean the U.S. Armed Forces will degenerate into useless pacifists. Freedom fighters have, and always will exist here.

BLUF, Alcohol is by far more dangerous and harmful to your health than pot, and we need serious reform at the federal level on this. Of course, as always, YMMV.

The Reaper
11-20-2014, 12:18
My grandfather had a THC pill prescription for cancer side effects back in the 90s in NC.

My observation is that states that legalize raw cannabis for medicinal purposes soon find that it is being prescribed to large groups of people as a cure all.

I don't personally think adding another intoxicant to the people I see every day already inattentive and stupid is a good idea.

And it took decades to get smoking out of public places. I don't think the smell of pot burning is that much better than tobacco, nor is it good for your health. Inhaling any kind of smoke will induce long-term health issues.

Just my .02, you have a different opinion and I respect that.

TR

PedOncoDoc
11-20-2014, 12:45
My grandfather had a THC pill prescription for cancer side effects back in the 90s in NC.

My observation is that states that legalize raw cannabis for medicinal purposes soon find that it is being prescribed to large groups of people as a cure all.

I don't personally think adding another intoxicant to the people I see every day already inattentive and stupid is a good idea.

And it took decades to get smoking out of public places. I don't think the smell of pot burning is that much better than tobacco, nor is it good for your health. Inhaling any kind of smoke will induce long-term health issues.

Just my .02, you have a different opinion and I respect that.

TR

That pill is still in wide use for treatment-induced nausea and for loss of appetite.

They legalized marijuana for medical use here in Michigan - most of the people that have "licenses" don't have any clearly apparent medical issue for which marijuana would be useful, and have the license as a "free pass" to smoke marijuana recreationally.

I was picking up a few cigars the other day and a guy came in looking to buy butane canisters in bulk - I learned from the gentleman behind the counter that people purchase the butane to process marijuana into a form commonly referred to as "wax" that they can either use for a very potent (and reportedly hallucinogenic( high, or sell to "marijuana dispensaries" for large sums of cash. A quick google search for marijuana wax can provide more information than I.

VVVV
11-20-2014, 13:55
TR

I thought so too, but...........

The new findings “were against our expectations,” said Donald Tashkin of the University of California at Los Angeles, a pulmonologist who has studied marijuana for 30 years.

“We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use,” he said. “What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect.”

Similar findings on the safety of smoked marijuana were released in April 2009 by the Vancouver Burden of Obstructive Lung Disease Research Group. The study presents that smoking both tobacco and marijuana synergistically increased the risk of respiratory symptoms and COPD. Smoking only marijuana, however, was not associated with an increased risk of respiratory symptoms of COPD.(study)

In a related commentary, Dr. Donald Tashkin writes that “the findings — add to the limited evidence of an association between marijuana use and COPD because [the] study focuses on an older population (aged 40 or older) that is at greater risk of COPD.” revious studies have failed to find an additive effect of marijuana and tobacco on either chronic respiratory symptoms or abnormal lung function in younger smokers. Dr. Tashkin states that “we can be close to concluding that marijuana smoking by itself does not lead to COPD.””.(source)

http://patients4medicalmarijuana.wordpress.com/marijuana-info/marijuana-and-your-lungs-recent-studies/

cbtengr
11-20-2014, 14:16
Personally I can see no good coming out of letting the troops use recreationally or otherwise. I spent 4 years assigned to units that were full of potheads, mid 70's combat engineer units. I am sure that the users were just as worthless without the pot, however the pot just made them worse. Maybe todays trooper is a better class of individual who can handle it, but I doubt it, YMMV.

The Reaper
11-20-2014, 17:48
I thought so too, but...........

The new findings “were against our expectations,” said Donald Tashkin of the University of California at Los Angeles, a pulmonologist who has studied marijuana for 30 years.

“We hypothesized that there would be a positive association between marijuana use and lung cancer, and that the association would be more positive with heavier use,” he said. “What we found instead was no association at all, and even a suggestion of some protective effect.”

Similar findings on the safety of smoked marijuana were released in April 2009 by the Vancouver Burden of Obstructive Lung Disease Research Group. The study presents that smoking both tobacco and marijuana synergistically increased the risk of respiratory symptoms and COPD. Smoking only marijuana, however, was not associated with an increased risk of respiratory symptoms of COPD.(study)

In a related commentary, Dr. Donald Tashkin writes that “the findings — add to the limited evidence of an association between marijuana use and COPD because [the] study focuses on an older population (aged 40 or older) that is at greater risk of COPD.” revious studies have failed to find an additive effect of marijuana and tobacco on either chronic respiratory symptoms or abnormal lung function in younger smokers. Dr. Tashkin states that “we can be close to concluding that marijuana smoking by itself does not lead to COPD.””.(source)

http://patients4medicalmarijuana.wordpress.com/marijuana-info/marijuana-and-your-lungs-recent-studies/

Remember when they told us that smoking was good for you?

TR

PedOncoDoc
11-21-2014, 08:44
Remember when they told us that smoking was good for you?

TR

The google image search for "doctor recommended cigarette" is quite telling (https://www.google.com/search?q=doctor+recommended+cigarettes&espv=2&biw=1600&bih=767&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=b09vVLmwJsKcygSD8IDwBA&ved=0CB0QsAQ#imgdii=_). :eek:

I'm a big fan of the "asthma cigarettes" - not recommended for children under 6. :D

Mustang Man
11-21-2014, 09:26
I would say someone needs a Chapter, but she would probably go to 100% disability immediately for her non-deployment, self-induced trauma.

Someone seriously needs to say or do something! This is what happens when you have overly sympathetic civilians that don't even want to criticize vets like this because of the political back lash. We all know her PTSD or whatever she is trying to get weed for is bull.

My favorite part of the article also.
Rising is among a growing number of veterans who are coming out of the “cannabis closet” and pressing the government to recognize pot as a legitimate treatment for the wounds of war.

From what I've experienced with a lot of vets getting out, one of the first things a lot look forward to is smoking weed. Most just wanna simply legally smoke weed and some are willing to pull the PTSD card to get it their way.

Remington Raidr
11-21-2014, 15:20
Good for you - No

May turn you into a slug - Yes

Negative for overall society - Yss

Criminal records for smoking it - Over the top (you don't get a criminal conviction for cigarettes)

A negative for hiring/position/workplace - Yes, as are cigarettes and alcohol

in MRE's - Please. There was never a can of Schlitz in my C-Rats's. Just green eggs. (We are not the British or the French). If there had been, I might have re-upped.:D

JJ_BPK
11-21-2014, 15:44
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/11/21/bill-would-lift-ban-on-va-doctors-advising-patients-on-medical-marijuana/?intcmp=latestnews

It will not be long now..

1st the VA,, then AD..

18D's better reset their kit bag and make room for the new meds...

:mad::mad::mad:

The Reaper
11-21-2014, 15:59
Most VA docs cannot write prescriptions outside the VA Pharmacy System.

They are not licensed to. I have to use a Family Practitioner for anything not on the VA Formulary.

The VA will not be writing scripts for pot unless the VA Formulary starts stocking it.

TR

JJ_BPK
11-21-2014, 16:03
TR

Isn't the VA already or about to let VA Doc's send patients to out side medical facilities when the VA can't support the requirement??

Effectively send them to the pot drug stores??

:confused:

Requiem
11-21-2014, 21:03
What you really want is a bunch of PTSD victims turned psychotic due to their medical (or not) marijuana.

Some studies suggest that MJ may trigger schizophrenia in users. Other studies say, no. But do you really want to take that kind of chance?

We've been dealing with a foster-child in our care who has a penchant for smoking pot. She has been diagnosed with schizophrenia that manifest itself around the time she began smoking. Coincidence? Maybe. The disease begins to show up in people in their teens anyway. But perhaps she could have avoided it completely.

S.

alelks
11-21-2014, 21:14
Never done any kind of drugs and don't plan to start but honestly they should legalize it.

I mean prohibition didn't work for alcohol and many crimes are committed by people under the influence of alcohol.

From what I've seen POT mellows people out. Can't say that about the majority of people who drink. Plus there have been some GREAT results using oils from Marijuana that have had the THC(s) (the part that makes you high) removed. It's actually amazing how it works so well for small children who have seizures or other diseases it seems to control the effects of. Do a search and watch some of the videos and I think you'd agree.

Legalize it and tax it is what I would recommend. Just think of how much room we'd open up in our prisons for people who commit much worse crimes. Heck, we could fill them up with our politicians if nothing else. :)

alelks
11-21-2014, 21:24
Forgot to add. Drug companies don't want to discover a cure for cancer as they would loose all the profit they are making for treating cancer (not curing it).

Here's an interesting article. Take it with a grain of salt but it's not the only article. Heck we don't even have food in our supermarkets now, we have genetically altered processed foods.

http://drleonardcoldwell.com/2014/04/01/rick-simpsons-canadian-cancer-cures-and-the-rising-cannabis-oil-movement/comment-page-1/

Did you guys realize that some of the major wheat growers put Roundup on their crops a few days prior to harvesting to speed things up. That can't be good for us. At least it's better than the paraquat some use.

I'm listening to an audio book called Grain Brain right now that is very interesting.