PDA

View Full Version : Controversial Assignment on Islam gets Marine banned from Daughter's School

grigori
10-30-2014, 00:30
A Maryland Marine has been banned from his daughter's school after arguing with school authorities over a three page assignment on Islam.

Would love to hear the views of the QP's on this issue.

LINK: Marine banned from school over an assignment on Islam (http://madworldnews.com/assignment-islam-marine-banned/)

Mustang Man
10-30-2014, 05:51
In my opinion the reason some schools don't offer much assignments on Christianity is that it always leads to a big controversy vocalized by non Christians. In my opinion Christians are the least vocal about these issues so kudos to this guy speaking up. I was just thinking back to when I was in high school and do remember going over the 5 pillars of Islam as well, however we did not ever touch up on much other religions. My hometown is even predominantly Jewish with a mix of Christians and I don't think I ever heard much complaints from the students at least.

I also think the reason Islam is a subject being touched on by some schools lately more than any other religion is that schools are trying to show students how peaceful Islam and all of it's followers can be. In the end it's all BS especially when their reasoning is that their teaching history and they are only having one specific religion being taught and all others excluded.

11Ber
10-30-2014, 06:12
This is one reason why I am so happy to no longer live in the Democratic People's Republic of East California. One thing I think is telling is that the school's position is they are teaching history. That means that they assume the story/belief of Islam to be fact. I never, in secondary school, remember going over creation and Jesus' life during history. Probably because they didn't view it as such and instead saw it as more of a story.

Bottom line: Islam is a cult like way of life and not a religion. There is nothing peaceful about it and I am happy someone stood up to the constant forcing of coexistence and acceptance.

VVVV
10-30-2014, 07:37
Odds are he was banned, because of the way he argued his position, rather than his position on the issue.

Five-O
10-30-2014, 08:11
Odds are he was banned, because of the way he argued his position, rather than his position on the issue.

Beat me to it. I would think most school administrators are not acustomed to being challenged by type A people. His tone likely had a lot to with him being banned.

Richard
10-30-2014, 08:42
Comparative study of the world's major religious faiths (Buddhaism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism), as well as many others (e.g., the polytheism of the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Mayan, etc) is an integral part of any World History program. Whether or not one agrees with their tenets, a study of their origins, points of agreement and disagreement, and impact (regionally and globally) is unavoidable when studying History.

Unfortunately, it remains (like SexEd) a sensitive topic that often invites criticism and strong emotional reaction when either mishandled or perceived to be one-sided in its pedagological application.

BTDT.

Richard

MtnGoat
10-30-2014, 13:12
Comparative study of the world's major religious faiths (Buddhaism, Christianity, Confucianism, Hinduism, Islam, Judaism), as well as many others (e.g., the polytheism of the Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Mayan, etc) is an integral part of any World History program. Whether or not one agrees with their tenets, a study of their origins, points of agreement and disagreement, and impact (regionally and globally) is unavoidable when studying History.

Unfortunately, it remains (like SexEd) a sensitive topic that often invites criticism and strong emotional reaction when either mishandled or perceived to be one-sided in its pedagological application.

BTDT.

Richard

I agree with what you're saying Richard, but in this three page assignment was no covering the History of Islam or tying Islam to history. IMO this was teaching Islam as a religion. Which I agree with these parents, if Christian based religion can not be taught. Then why is Islam being taught? Doesn't make since to me.

I agree, that is was likely he lost his cool and came off the wrong way or said something that was taken as a verbal threat.

CSB
10-30-2014, 14:29
OK, let's look at one of the questions, and the (presumably approved) answer:

TREATMENT OF THE CONQUERED PEOPLE

18. How did Muslim conquerors treat those they conquered? Why?

With tolerance
Kindness and respect.

What do you think the grade would be had the student replied:

18. How did Muslim conquerors treat those they conquered? Why?

They lined up the non-Muslims and shot them in the back of the head.
For defeated soldiers, they striped them down to their underwear, and marched
them into the desert, arranging them into a crescent, and then shot them.
For unbelievers they considered pagans, the men were shot or beheaded.
The women and children were raped, they lesser attractive ones were then killed
when the ISIS Muslim fighters had used them enough, while the better
looking women and children were sold as slaves/wives to the fighters.

Why?
Because very few will stand up against them.

Sigaba
10-30-2014, 14:36
Beat me to it. I would think most school administrators are not acustomed to being challenged by type A people. His tone likely had a lot to with him being banned.
This statement presupposes that "type A people" cannot be tactful, diplomatic, or professional when voicing dissenting POVs. MOO, there are tens of thousands of posts here and across the street by BTDTs that suggest otherwise.

Five-O
10-30-2014, 15:07
This statement presupposes that "type A people" cannot be tactful, diplomatic, or professional when voicing dissenting POVs. MOO, there are tens of thousands of posts here and across the street by BTDTs that suggest otherwise.

That's quite an astute observation. I also mentioned his tone as a leading factor to the schools response. MOO....Maybe my experience in the military and law enforcement and the people that gravitate to these lines of work are different than your experience.... That is unless your experience with military types occurs mostly on line. BTW.... The father was is a Marine.... And not a BTDT...which is an on line term. Most here might acknowledge a difference , real or perceived, in mentality between the two. Perhaps I did stereo type the war veteran Marine father upset about his daughter being deceived regarding Islam ..... But if he did not threaten the school staff (which I believe he did not) then his banning suggests it may have been his tone or demeanor

Trapper John
10-30-2014, 15:27
Judging from the nature of the questions asked this is not a course in World History nor is it a more narrow course on the role of Islam in the context of world history. It appears to be plainly and simply a course on Islam with a clear pro-Islam bias (judging from the apparently acceptable answers) that is no way fact based (see CSBs post).

IMO and after some study on the subject, I am hard pressed to see Islam as a bona fide theology at all. IMO, Islam fits more into the category of a political ideology that is based almost entirely on brutal oppression and deceit.

Had I been the father, and in the context of this course as it appears to be teaching tolerance of Islam, my argument would have started with the words of Thomas Mann: "Tolerance applied to evil is a crime" and evolved from there. And I certainly would be prepared to take that argument to the press and on to the School Board.

I just don't think Dad in this case had an end game in mind, but then again he is a Marine. :D

Badger52
10-30-2014, 15:35
If it is indeed a "comparative" religion class (all that fair & balanced stuff Richard mentioned) and discusses points of agreement/divergence then the teacher should be able to cite their references. Perhaps a discussion of how present behavior in certain areas seems to have diverged from the basic tenets.

Also possible is that, rather than being actually aggressive, the father simply looked this school staff-person in the eye. Some personality types get downright weak-kneed when that happens, especially when accompanied by someone who isn't awed by their status.

I'm sure the Freedom from Religion Foundation (http://ffrf.org/) is too busy staking out potential nativity scene locations with so few shopping days till Christmas or they'd be all over it.

Sigaba
10-30-2014, 16:11
If a junior in high school can't resolve her own issues with an assignment in school, is the problem really just the school?

Five-O
10-30-2014, 16:41
If a junior in high school can't resolve her own issues with an assignment in school, is the problem really just the school?

Maybe her father checks her homework daily or perhaps because of her fathers unique experience at war with jihadis she thought he might enjoy the assignment... Maybe her teacher is a bully and would embarrass her or give her a poor grade if she swims against the stream in class. You know how some liberal academic types don't like to be challenged... Especially by an adolescent school girl. I wouldn't go around questioning the abilities of a 15 year old girl or her relationship with her father unless I knew WTF I was talking about...but thats just me. YMMV.

Sigaba
10-30-2014, 16:57
Maybe her father checks her homework daily or perhaps because of her fathers unique experience at war with jihadis she thought he might enjoy the assignment... Maybe her teacher is a bully and would embarrass her or give her a poor grade if she swims against the stream in class. You know how some liberal academic types don't like to be challenged... Especially by an adolescent school girl. I wouldn't go around questioning the abilities of a 15 year old girl or her relationship with her father unless I knew WTF I was talking about. YMMV.
Why do you allow yourself the intellectual double standard of making assumptions and asking critical questions about part of the dynamic but not others?

Five-O
10-30-2014, 17:12
Why do you allow yourself the intellectual double standard of making assumptions and asking critical questions about part of the dynamic but not others?

Unless I missed something, you hinted at a problem at home or the girl is in some way not equipped for academics as opposed to the school bearing some responsibility. I offered possible explainations about the dynamic at home.

..... don't wish to detract from the subject matter any further.

Sigaba
10-30-2014, 17:32
You hinted at a problem at home or the girl is not equiped for academics as opposed to the school bearing some responsibility. I offered possible explainations about the dynamic at home.If one were to stipulate that your inference was correct (it is not), you still did not answer the question.

IRT my post, my phrasing ("just the school") clearly indicates that I think something at the school may have contributed to this confrontation.

More generally, my question ties into the long running conversations on this BB about teaching and education. In my view, parents (well intentioned and other) are playing a pivotal role in undermining the efficacy of American schools by intervening when they should not.

IMO, with each passing year, educators are opting out of mentoring students, in no small part because of "helicopter parents" who deprive their children opportunities to succeed because they fear that they will fail.

Richard
10-30-2014, 18:03
Although curriculae vary from state to state and district to district, a 'recommended' high school social studies program would require - in general and as a minimum - US History II (Reconstruction to the Present), World Geography, World History, and Govt/Economics.

There is nothing 'controversial' about that assignment and its study of the origins, rise, and impact of Islam circa 7th-13th CE World History. This unit is probably somewhere around chapter 5 or 6 in a typical World History text.

It is not about later events.

Judaism and Christianity, as well as a number of polytheistic belief systems, would have been discussed in a similar fashion under the prior chapters related to the Mesopotamian, Egyptian, Greek, and Classical Roman empires.

Hinduism, Buddhaism, and Confucianism would generally fall into study somewhere along with the importance of the growth of trade during the Middle Ages amongst the European and Asian cultures, and the opening of the East through the so-called 'Silk Road'.

Christianity would again rise in importance of study with the Middle Ages, Crusades, Renaissance, Reformation, Enlightenment, and Age of Exploration.

You can't study History without comparatively studying the world's major theological movements and their influence on global cultural interaction and events.

Context is important - and I think the context of this unit of study is sorely misunderstood by this particular student's parents, those who sensationalized it by labeling it as being 'controversial', and those who have no first-hand knowledge of what is in a modern high school World History text or course but opine upon it as if they did anyway.

I wasn't there or am involved in this family vs school foofarah in any way, but having BTDT as a high school principal upon any number of occasions with any number of students, parents, faculty, and other administrators, I can say with a pretty high degree of certainty that (1) we don't 'know' the story with this one and (2) I'm glad I'm not having to deal with it.

And so it goes...

Richard

And FWIW - that student's answer to #18 is incorrect as is CSB's.

Streck-Fu
10-31-2014, 04:52
You can't study History without comparatively studying the world's major theological movements and their influence on global cultural interaction and events.

Were the other major theologies included in the course?

If they are doing similar assignments on Judaism, Christianity, etc then it is a moot point.

Pete
10-31-2014, 05:17
It's not like the kids would have a "racist" note put in their school file if they didn't do it...

...Oh, wait.

Five-O
10-31-2014, 07:34
If one were to stipulate that your inference was correct (it is not), you still did not answer the question.

IRT my post, my phrasing ("just the school") clearly indicates that I think something at the school may have contributed to this confrontation.

More generally, my question ties into the long running conversations on this BB about teaching and education. In my view, parents (well intentioned and other) are playing a pivotal role in undermining the efficacy of American schools by intervening when they should not.

IMO, with each passing year, educators are opting out of mentoring students, in no small part because of "helicopter parents" who deprive their children opportunities to succeed because they fear that they will fail.

Daily, parents of a high scool student must walk the line between "parenting" their child and allowing their child to learn and grow. Cutting the "apron strings" can be more difficult for some parents. I understand educators have a difficult task navigating the parent/student/teacher dynamic. A parent who confronts adminstrators an a "assertive" possibly in an intimidating manner clearly complicates matters.

Richard
10-31-2014, 10:24
Were the other major theologies included in the course?

If they are doing similar assignments on Judaism, Christianity, etc then it is a moot point.

This (atchd pdf) is what we required in Texas for our HS World History courses and parallels what I saw amongst the ISAS schools in CO, OK, NM, KS, and LA, and have experienced here in the EGUSD in NorCal where I periodically substitute in the social studies and lit departments of several local high schools. I think these are pretty standard requirements as they are reflective of all the major textbooks which are used nationally for teaching these high school history courses (attached pic are some of the texts I retain to review when I accept a sub assignment).

I hi-lighted some of the requirements in the TEKS (Tx Essential Knowledge and Skills) doc relevant to this particular "controversial" :rolleyes: assignment.

And so it goes...

Richard