PDA

View Full Version : Who shot Bin Laden? This guy. That's who....

Streck-Fu
10-29-2014, 19:28
So much for shutting the hell up....LINK (http://dailycaller.com/2014/10/29/fox-news-lands-interview-with-seal-member-that-killed-osama-bin-laden/)

FOX News Channel (FNC) will present a new documentary entitled The Man Who Killed Usama Bin Laden hosted by Washington correspondent Peter Doocy, on Tuesday, November 11th and Wednesday, November 12th from 10-11PM/ET. The two-night presentation will feature an exclusive interview with the Navy SEAL who says he fired the shots that killed terrorist leader Usama Bin Laden. In the special, he describes the events leading up to and during the historical raid that took place on May 1st, 2011.

Peregrino
10-29-2014, 19:40
Once again ego and discretion prove to be mutually exclusive traits. :rolleyes:

Who's running the pool for how long it takes him to be targeted? :munchin

Richard
10-29-2014, 19:54
"It was I, said the sparrow, with my little bow and arrow..." :rolleyes:

Richard

Lighthouse
10-29-2014, 20:38
Just saw this article buzzing around too. Is this a kind of lifeline or does he have a death wish? Is he making money from this? Doesn't seem to have too much to gain here but a lot of bad company

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-navy-seal-who-killed-bin-laden-is-reportedly-going-to-reveal-himself-to-the-world-2014-10

Box
10-29-2014, 22:58
15 minutes of fame...

When you are surrounded by those that are your equal that 15 minutes just doesn't last that long.

How many MFF guys are impressed if you tell them them you have over 500 parachte jumps?
...not many

So how do you extend that 15 minutes?
...start telling a bunch of legs or rope jumpers that you have 500 jumps.

This guy has probably ran out of SEAL buddies that give a shit who he shot.
...because we all know it must have taken a special kind of "operator" to shoot binladen at point blank range

"meh"

grigori
10-30-2014, 00:35
I remember when Esquire had posted an article about the SEAL who claimed to have taken the shot. When it turned he wasn't the one(although he was there in the op.), fellow teammates said "the one who took the shot is a quiet professional who'll never disclose he took the shot". Wonder what happened.

Guymullins
10-30-2014, 05:03
I remember when Esquire had posted an article about the SEAL who claimed to have taken the shot. When it turned he wasn't the one(although he was there in the op.), fellow teammates said "the one who took the shot is a quiet professional who'll never disclose he took the shot". Wonder what happened.

He got noisy, probably beans?

BUZ0745
10-30-2014, 05:09
All I can say is "wow". Does he really call himself "The Shooter"?

Sadly, there are far too many that will swallow this crap- hook, line and sinker.

I wonder what ever happened to the mentality: if you want to know what goes on- then join up and find out?

neecheepure
10-30-2014, 05:55
15 minutes of fame...

When you are surrounded by those that are your equal that 15 minutes just doesn't last that long.

How many MFF guys are impressed if you tell them them you have over 500 parachte jumps?
...not many

So how do you extend that 15 minutes?
...start telling a bunch of legs or rope jumpers that you have 500 jumps.

This guy has probably ran out of SEAL buddies that give a shit who he shot.
...because we all know it must have taken a special kind of "operator" to shoot binladen at point blank range

"meh"

Couldn't have put it better myself!

Streck-Fu
10-30-2014, 06:24
All I can say is "wow". Does he really call himself "The Shooter"?

That term goes back to media people simply referring to the unknown guy as The Shooter. I doubt he coined it....Though he may now use it as the title of his book with movie rights sold to Paramount with Ang Lee as director.

1stindoor
10-30-2014, 07:49
It's been listed before...but bears reposting in light of the "new evidence."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv9AUFpRGyc

glebo
10-31-2014, 11:55
http://www.businessinsider.com/pentagon-statement-on-navy-seal-and-fox-news-2014-10

The Pentagon is saying no to "The shooter"....good idea

However, in a statement issued to Business Insider the Pentagon stressed that anyone who participated in the 2011 operation that left the Al Qaeda leader dead was "still bound" by a "non-disclosure agreement to not discuss classified information, especially in a nationally televised interview."

Sdiver
10-31-2014, 13:50
Hummmmmm .... I wonder what's behind curtain number two ????

Seeing that this "interview" is scheduled AFTER the mid-term elections ...

Something that if broadcasted BEFORE the elections, would help Barry and his Dim cronies ...

And seeing that it is "rumored" that Barry will be granting amnesty to those unp-teen million illegals ...

Ya gotta wonder .... is this "interview" scheduled or even that fact it's being discussed, that distraction magicians use to get you to look elsewhere?

:munchin

Team Sergeant
10-31-2014, 14:20
I didn't realize it was a "One SEAL" mission??? :rolleyes:

Besides, I don't think shooting a 70 year old in the face, that just woke up, a difficult thing to do........in fact I don't think I'd tell anyone that it took 23 SEALS +100 support folks to give some old guy a dirt nap....... :munchin

Sigaba
10-31-2014, 14:37
Hummmmmm .... I wonder what's behind curtain number two ????

Seeing that this "interview" is scheduled AFTER the mid-term elections ...

Something that if broadcasted BEFORE the elections, would help Barry and his Dim cronies ...

And seeing that it is "rumored" that Barry will be granting amnesty to those unp-teen million illegals ...

Ya gotta wonder .... is this "interview" scheduled or even that fact it's being discussed, that distraction magicians use to get you to look elsewhere?

:munchin
The polling data from Gallup do not support your interpretation.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/1675/most-important-problem.aspx

Lighthouse
11-03-2014, 08:04
http://sofrep.com/37850/bin-ladens-shooter-identified-rob-oneill/

he senior leadership of the Navy’s SEAL community—the commander and force master chief of Naval Special Warfare Command (NSWC)—have officially, and preemptively, responded to the upcoming Fox News appearance on November 11 and 12 of a former SEAL Team Six member, labeled in an Esquire Magazine article as ‘The Shooter,’ who appeared in the press claiming to have been the operator who shot Usama Bin Ladin in the 2011 raid that killed the Al-Qaeda leader.

Read more: http://sofrep.com/37850/bin-ladens-shooter-identified-rob-oneill/#ixzz3I0wT1XqZ

Lighthouse
11-03-2014, 08:10
Here is the letter from NSW.

MR2
11-03-2014, 09:06
Nice letter, spot on, and a cogent reminder. :lifter

Streck-Fu
11-06-2014, 06:33
He's on the speaking circuit.....:rolleyes:....(I'm not posting content)...LINK (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2822370/Navy-SEAL-killed-bin-Laden-revealed-Rob-O-Neill-named-Seal-Team-Six-hero-shot-terror-chief-three-times-head-inspired-series-Hollywood-roles.html)

greyshade
11-06-2014, 14:36
Seems like a double standard to me.

Ret. Generals as well as former Secretary's of Defense write books do interviews, discuss disagreements with politicians, paint the picture for campaign level strategy. That aforementioned group, compared to this SEAL who didn't even make his 20, certainly did not need the money.

I just look at his leadership. Who in SOCOM, and in the military across the board, does not set a good example.

mark46th
11-06-2014, 18:08
"Ret. Generals as well as former Secretary's of Defense write books do interviews, discuss disagreements with politicians, paint the picture for campaign level strategy. That aforementioned group, compared to this SEAL who didn't even make his 20, certainly did not need the money. " Greyshade

That's what he said in the interview on 60 Minutes!

Box
11-07-2014, 09:35
monkey see, monkey do...

Ret. Generals as well as former Secretary's of Defense write books do interviews, discuss disagreements with politicians etc...

ProudGSMom
11-07-2014, 11:59
or a bit of a Pollyanna looking for the silver lining...and I say anything at all on this fully aware of my lack of qualifications...and as always, if I'm out of line, I apologize. These are thoughts I've been bouncing around and because I'm loathe to publicly write anything that smears or taints the honor of the uniform, I choose to put it here. Here it can be seen by those who would know and understand and I can be slapped down if appropriate by those who would know without giving fodder to the trolls that live under the rocks of my blog.

I find it interesting and hypocritical that 'Mark Owen' got in trouble for writing his book. Yet, who got in dutch for giving Hollyweird the details to make "Zero Dark Thirty"?

No one has ever been held accountable either for releasing that it was SEAL Team 6 that did the raid on OBL's compound, and that information came directly from Obama's lips. I may have just answered my own question.

So, perhaps, with this latest case of 'look at me, look at me', a conversation can be started about the hypocrisy of releasing classified details when it benefits the administration, but crucifying those outside the WH inner circle who violate the spirit if not the letter of their oaths.

I'm not excusing this latest talker one bit, but I'm also waiting to see what he says, and how he is attempting to benefit.

One last tidbit that got my attention - that letter from Adm. Losey, was in my opinion awesome. Perfect. Appropriate. But yet another formerly quiet, quiet professional has gone on CNN and elsewhere having what appears to this civilian's eyes a hissy fit. He is also a former SEAL, former FBI agent and currently a well paid speaker and consultant for various news outlets.

That formerly quiet, quiet professional takes Adm. Losey to task for publicly releasing that letter, comes just short of accusing Losey of PR whoring, and states he should have kept that in the community. He goes on to complain about the inappropriateness of SEALs profiting and being public about their former job. All this coming from a guy making fistfuls of cash and getting national air time because of his former SEAL status. A prostitute is a prostitute, in my opinion, whether he is an old hand that has moved up off the street corner or is still hanging on the lamp post. Then again, I've heard that aging hookers hate the fresh, new face and fear the competition.

I was heartened by Losey's missive. I want to see leadership taking a stance and letting John and Jane Q know that current and recent nonsense notwithstanding, there are still those in and from the ranks of the quiet professionals who take the oaths they took seriously and violate them at the peril of loss of respect of their teammates past, present and future, not to mention possible legal consequences.

Now I'm waiting to be nauseated by some well-coiffed empty head to pontificate on the quality of current SEALs, postulating that perhaps in our kinder, gentler world we need to adjust the training, selection and retention processes. Because, obviously, there must be some systemic problem causing this unprecedented rash of quiet professionals choosing to no longer be quiet. Maybe the SEAL instructors and leaders aren't giving enough attention to the special snowflakes tender egos and are just too harsh. Maybe they even get sworn at.

Watch for it and I'll eat a bowl of my dog's kibble if it takes more than 48 hours after those CNN interviews air.

tonyz
11-07-2014, 12:09
No special insight into SEALs - but generally speaking, as a culture - we appear to be in the midst of a giant "selfie" phenomena.

The Reaper
11-07-2014, 12:47
This is not the place for an us vs. them argument. Remember our "Tender Hearted Killer", or the spate of SF books that came out after OEF kicked off?

I think VADM Losey did the right thing. Others may feel differently. Did he publicize his letter outside the community, and if he did, was it his own decision, or was he directed to?

There is a world of difference between writing about a war you were in decades ago as a grunt, and writing about classified missions you were on a year or two ago.

We get the troops with the skill set we assess for, and BUD/S is different from SFAS. In my experience, I think our soldiers are a bit more quiet and reserved than the average SEAL. Having said that, I doubt that anyone could look at a formation of newly minted SEALs or SF Soldiers and tell which ones will sell out for book and movie deals. The peer reports might be more telling, but still not predictive.

And I concur that our people today are different, so we have to evolve as well. Not too many WW II soldiers wrote books, by Vietnam, that had changed. Now, who knows?

In the final analysis, an NDA or access to classified information that could jeopardize your teammates and that you swore to uphold should be honored. Breaking your word to make money or to become famous should not be up for consideration within our band of brothers. If we cannot be trusted with that, what kind of warrior culture are we? And why would you risk the safety of your family by coming out like that?

I guess I just don't get it.

TR

JJ_BPK
11-07-2014, 13:19
I posted this on FB.

No,
The SEAL that shot osama??
WAS NOT a Green Beret..

Capice?

Guymullins
11-08-2014, 00:05
Whats going on? I thought Obama killed Osama.

Richard
11-08-2014, 11:15
Things are really getting out of control... :D :D :D

Richard

Badger52
11-08-2014, 14:52
I guess the CNN ticker person can kiss that internship running the TOTUS goodbye...

alelks
11-09-2014, 18:00
We're better! REALLY?

http://oafnation.com/2014/11/09/video-bin-laden-shooter-openly-disses-delta-force-delta-doesnt-fking-do-anything/

SF_BHT
11-09-2014, 18:10
Well I thought the SEALs had matured. This guy sounds like an ass. He is his own worst enemy. He will get his ass killed if he keeps going down this path. I would expect more from a Senior CPO in DEV Group.

Mustang Man
11-09-2014, 20:51
Vets don't need closure?!

I won't speak for all vets but I'll speak for my self and start off with f%!k you O'Neil you arrogant ass wipe.:mad:

After my deployments and all the lives that have been lost since the GWOT I would very much like to see a fulfilling closure in all of this. As happy as I was about OBLs death, it didn't bring all the closure for me at least and know it doesn't change much in the long run. I guess I just need to sack up.:rolleyes::mad:

The Death of Osama Bin Laden Changes Nothing
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33321&page=2

Well I thought the SEALs had matured. This guy sounds like an ass. He is his own worst enemy. He will get his ass killed if he keeps going down this path. I would expect more from a Senior CPO in DEV Group.

I'd imagine most SEALs are as outraged with this guy as we are and hopefully inflict some type of punishment for his public childish rant.

InnovativeCGO
11-10-2014, 01:15
i think the duffleblog nailed it in their parody of this situation:

http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/11/navy-seal-team-6-bin-laden-robert-oneill/

DIYPatriot
11-10-2014, 07:54
i think the duffleblog nailed it in their parody of this situation:

http://www.duffelblog.com/2014/11/navy-seal-team-6-bin-laden-robert-oneill/

Best line:

Additionally, a visibly deformed .458 SOCOM is insisting that the 5.56 is nothing but a pogue FOB-guarding bitch round that actually spent the whole war chambered in a Ugandan’s rifle at the Kandahar chow hall.

I only know two guys in NSW. One is on the swcc boat teams. He said O'Neil had already received PNG status months ago. I doubt that matters to anyone that is as arrogant as he. There's always a bad apple in every bunch. Breaking an oath or your word is bad enough, but I would not want to place my family or myself in more danger than is necessary. Its an awfully small world and our borders aren't exactly secure.

Team Sergeant
11-10-2014, 11:22
Maybe we should come clean and tell the truth.......

Dusty shot Bin Laden.

alelks
11-10-2014, 14:25
Everyone knows that it was really Wolfgang Hammersmith who shot him.

glebo
11-10-2014, 17:01
I thought it was Giduck (sp?) with his shovel and all that??? oh well....next :p

Basenshukai
11-10-2014, 18:07
Vets don't need closure?!

I won't speak for all vets but I'll speak for my self and start off with f%!k you O'Neil you arrogant ass wipe.:mad:

After my deployments and all the lives that have been lost since the GWOT I would very much like to see a fulfilling closure in all of this. As happy as I was about OBLs death, it didn't bring all the closure for me at least and know it doesn't change much in the long run. I guess I just need to sack up.:rolleyes::mad:

The Death of Osama Bin Laden Changes Nothing
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33321&page=2

I'd imagine most SEALs are as outraged with this guy as we are and hopefully inflict some type of punishment for his public childish rant.

I have spoken to about six active duty SEALs about this in the last week alone. Yeah, they are pretty embarrassed about this guy.

The Reaper
11-10-2014, 18:19
Just my .02, but I don't think the word "quiet" or "professional" could be applied to this "gentleman."

TR

Old Dog New Trick
11-12-2014, 13:14
There "I" was, up to my ass in spent shell casings and pulled grenade pins..."I" was on a one way mission from God and this is how it was going to end! :rolleyes:

This doofus will go down in NSW history books...don't be that guy!

More flutter kicks, Sir! :cool:

LarryW
11-13-2014, 08:14
I'm waiting for the book and the movie. Then the lawsuits and the hoopla. I smell a skunk in the woodshed. Y'all are right...

But, wait again ... maybe this guy's the sacrificial goat the radicals will chase all over Montana and leave the rest of the team alone. Maybe this guy is doing the rest of the Navy a favor.

Well, shit. Maybe there are pigs in space, too. Hey, there could be!

Team Sergeant
11-13-2014, 12:08
The Kill Order for bin laden was signed long ago. The will of the American people was executed by the United States military.

For a single individual to say "I shot bin laden" is just f**king stupid. Especially when hundreds maybe thousands were involved in killing him.

I thought folks with big ego's just used FaceBook, Twitter and such for their narcissistic tendencies, now it seems everyone wants their 15 minutes of national fame.

We've graduated from the "entitlement" generation to the "me" generation.

So much for the SEAL "Team" idea........

Badger52
11-13-2014, 14:30
I'll bet Dr. Shakil Afridi would like a chance to just be in the US giving an interview to anyone.

Streck-Fu
11-13-2014, 14:53
I'll bet Dr. Shakil Afridi would like a chance to just be in the US giving an interview to anyone.

Truth.

LarryW
11-13-2014, 15:39
The Kill Order for bin laden was signed long ago. The will of the American people was executed by the United States military.

For a single individual to say "I shot bin laden" is just f**king stupid. Especially when hundreds maybe thousands were involved in killing him.

(You sighted nail and sank same.)

mojaveman
12-06-2014, 15:13
I agree with some of the others that I would have kept quiet. Now that his identity is known to the world he and his family have become potential targets. The threat need not come from far away but could easily come from right here at home.