PDA

View Full Version : OP Tempo, NG SOF

BearFlag
12-14-2004, 05:28
Hi,

I am a student currently wrapping up the tail end of a science degree in physics, and I have been eyeballing the 19th (particularly the Los Alamitos installation). Mostly I only considered going into the military as an officer, preferably in a scout or recon platoon (seemed fitting of my personality, guys w/ a lot of cohesion and pride in what they do) and then trying for an SOF slot when I was o-3 promotable. Recently I have realized I don't really need the shiny gold on my collar but would be more than happy to serve with some of the best and brightest people that this country has to offer. My plan is to put in for an 18x and train my ass off. :lifter
I only have 1 or 2 classes left to get my degree and I would like to finish it at some point (it doesn't really matter when) what is the OP Tempo in NG SF, and do you think it would be possible to complete my degree while in (either before, between, or after SFAS, Q, etc) (the classes are upper division independent study lax timeframe). Due to my transfer credits I can graduate from UNLV or CSULB with about the same amount of effort.
The way I see it, the longer I wait to commit to the military the less likely it is going to happen, I don't want to be 40 and say woulda coulda shoulda.

Thankyou,

Team Sergeant
12-14-2004, 08:50
Hi,

and do you think it would be possible to complete my degree while in (either before, between, or after SFAS, Q, etc) (the classes are upper division independent study lax timeframe). Due to my transfer credits I can graduate from UNLV or CSULB with about the same amount of effort.

Thankyou,

Finish school first. We're still at war, hypothesizing quantum theory while crossing linear danger areas is not advisable.

TS

NousDefionsDoc
12-14-2004, 09:10
Next!

sandytroop
12-14-2004, 10:08
You have been successful so far in school because you can focus and use your time efficiently. These are critical skills if you want to be a soldier, and particularly if you want to be an SF soldier. Quitting 2 classes short of a degres is not smart or a good pesonality trait to acquire. Commit and complete, that's the path.

And don't knock starting someting at 40. Anyone who served in 12th Gp in the late 80's probably knew Rex A. He graduated from the Q course at 41.

Surgicalcric
12-14-2004, 14:17
...And don't knock starting someting at 40. Anyone who served in 12th Gp in the late 80's probably knew Rex A. He graduated from the Q course at 41.

There are two guys just completeing SFQC PH-1A and they are both 39. Hell at the rate I am going I will be 40, but I digress.

Crip

BearFlag
12-14-2004, 15:30
You have been successful so far in school because you can focus and use your time efficiently. These are critical skills if you want to be a soldier, and particularly if you want to be an SF soldier. Quitting 2 classes short of a degres is not smart or a good pesonality trait to acquire. Commit and complete, that's the path.

And don't knock starting someting at 40. Anyone who served in 12th Gp in the late 80's probably knew Rex A. He graduated from the Q course at 41.

Good advice man, I think I might not have failed my class today :D so if that is the case I should only have my senior project to wrap up this next semester. Need to find a prof to sponsor me (:
I guess I will just focus on getting in awesome shape, maybe picking up martial arts again (great bujinkan places out here), shmoozing w/ cute girls, and maybe making a few dollars. Might even have some time to build my baja truck. I still need to talk to the recruiters when i get out to cali, but any advice on what I should do while I hurry up and wait?

As to SF guys getting qualified at 40, thats adwesome to say the least. No day like today huh?

Archer06
01-06-2005, 07:41
Finish school and enlist

QRQ 30
01-06-2005, 08:13
I only have 1 or 2 classes left to get my degree and I would like to finish it at some point (it doesn't really matter when) what is the OP Tempo in NG SF, and do you think it would be possible to complete my degree while in (either before, between, or after SFAS, Q, etc) (the classes are upper division independent study lax timeframe). Due to my transfer credits I can graduate from UNLV or CSULB with about the same amount of effort.

HA!! HA!! HA!!.
I made that mistake. I was a chemistry major and had only a few classes to complete my degree when I enlisted in 1963. I had all kinds of nobel intentions of going to OCS, getting a commission in the Chem Corp and completing my degree while in the service which I intended to last for only one enlistment.

I finally completed a degree in Opticianry in 1989.

I am sure you would run into several pitfalls as did I. First, a good career in SOF tends to deny the time for school. I took many individual classes while in the service, I had more than enough credits to graduate but never completed a major. Also, in a scientific field, things change faster than you may realize. It got to the point where things I studied in college were being taught in HS and earlier.

Get your degree. If you are as close as you say, an extra semester won't hurt.

As for stripes vs. bars I won't go there. They both have their advantages. I was within a hair of receiving a direct commission in RVN when I changed my mind.

Think about it: six months to get a degree vs the 29 years it took me. :munchin

sandytroop
01-06-2005, 16:48
More excellent wisdom from someone who actually knows what he's talking about. "...6 months versus 29 years..." . Man, if that doesn't open a fellow's eyes there's truly something wrong, eh?

Misipati Bird
01-13-2005, 11:57
I'm 43 and just completed the Q-Course, so it is doable.

CPTAUSRET
01-13-2005, 12:00
I'm 43 and just completed the Q-Course, so it is doable.

Way to go!!!

Terry