PDA

View Full Version : CSM(R) Robert Gallagher

The Reaper
10-23-2014, 14:38
I served with Bob Gallagher and he was one of the finest soldiers I ever met.

You may recall his character from "Blackhawk Down."

The last time I saw him was on television in 2003.

He was a Battalion CSM in a 3rd ID Infantry unit and his troops were in contact in Baghdad under an overpass.

Bob was slinging lead with the troops when he was hit in the leg. He kept advancing (limping) and shooting until the contact had slacked off and they put him on a stretcher. As they carried him off, he pulled out his pistol and continued firing at the enemy.

He was a helluva soldier and a good man.

You will be missed, Bob.

Thank you for your service and your sacrifice.

Save me a good seat on the other side.

TR

Decorated soldier from 'Black Hawk Down' battle in Somalia dies at 52

Published October 23, 2014

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/10/23/decorated-soldier-from-black-hawk-down-battle-in-somalia-dies-at-52/

Command Sgt. Maj. Robert Gallagher was in Mogadishu, Somalia, in 1993 and in Baghdad for the U.S. invasion in 2003. When he retired, he worked to serve soldiers. He died on Oct. 13 at age 52. (3rd Infantry Division/Facebook)

A decorated soldier who participated in the Somalia battle immortalized by Hollywood blockbuster “Black Hawk Down” was reportedly found dead in his Georgia home earlier this month.

Retired Command Sgt. Maj. Robert Gallagher, 52, died of natural causes as a result of a heart condition, the Army Times reports. He served as the command sergeant major for the Army’s Wounded Warrior Program, but had extensive experience in major combat operations, including Operation Just Cause in Panama and with Task Force Ranger in Mogadishu, Somalia, which was later made famous by the 2001 film.

“You know, I don’t say this lightly, but Bob is probably one of, probably the best soldier I ever served with, retired Col. Greg Gadson told the newspaper. “That man really cared about soldiers.”

Born in Bayonne, N.J., Gallagher joined the Army in 1981 and later earned several awards and decorations, including a Silver Star, two Purple Hearts and two Bronze Stars. He earned the Silver Star in 2002 during Operation Iraqi Freedom as troops advanced from Kuwait to Baghdad, when he suffered a leg wound but continued to direct his men.

“The best day and worst day of my life was when I served in Mogadishu, Somalia, on October 3, 1993, as part of Task Force Ranger,” Gallagher said in 2010. “It was the worst day, because we lost 18 soldiers and 84 others, including myself, were wounded. It was the best day of my life because it showed the incredible performance of our warriors in long-protracted battle under extraordinary circumstances in an urban environment. Throughout it all, the warriors that fought that day performed in a manner that was consistent with the values of our nation, and I was very proud of that.”

A memorial ceremony is scheduled for Oct. 31 at Fort Benning in Georgia. Gallagher will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery, but a date has not yet been determined. He is survived by his wife, Denene, and sons Patrick and Sean.

(1VB)compforce
10-23-2014, 15:03
http://www.armytimes.com/article/20141022/NEWS/310220069/CSM-who-fought-Panama-Somalia-Iraq-dies-52

There's more info and a picture of him fighting while the leg wound is being dressed.

I met him once. He was what I always thought a SNCO should be. RIP CSM and condolences to the family and friends he left behind.

cbtengr
10-23-2014, 15:06
RIP CSM ! Thank you for sharing that info TR.

nousdefions
10-23-2014, 15:47
Rest in God's Peace, Warrior. The land of the Free because of the Brave

JJ_BPK
10-23-2014, 16:49
RIP Warrior, Vaya con Dios..

SF_BHT
10-23-2014, 17:22
Rest in Peace CSM

miclo18d
10-23-2014, 17:25
RLTW CSM!!!! Sad to hear another warrior leave the battlefield.

Sohei
10-23-2014, 19:40
Rest In Peace, Warrior and thank you for your many years of service and sacrifice.

My condolences to those that knew him personally, as well as his family.

The Reaper
10-23-2014, 20:20
Toast going up now.

Sua Sponte, Sergeant Major.

RIP.

TR

PRB
10-23-2014, 20:42
RIP CSM, great man.

sg1987
10-24-2014, 06:48
R.I.P. CSM. "Nous Resterons Lŕ"

tom kelly
10-24-2014, 15:15
Rest In Peace CSM. YOU LEFT US TO SOON, Prayers out to family & friends. tom kelly

jbour13
10-25-2014, 18:07
Knew of him and his reputation when I was in 25th ID(L). There were men there that were distinctly scared of him, but deeply respected him.

RIP CSM

TrapLine
10-29-2014, 06:38
Rest in peace, Command Sgt. Maj. Gallagher. Thank you for your service and may God bless your family.

glebo
10-29-2014, 07:08
RIP CSM, thank you for your service. Prayers and condolences out to his family and friends...

Gypsy
11-02-2014, 06:26
So young... RIP CSM Gallagher, thank you for your service.

milkman
10-14-2017, 06:43
Lest We Forget..........

Home News
‘Black Hawk Down’ senior NCO, decorated hero Gallagher dead at 52

By STARS AND STRIPES
Published: October 23, 2014

Retired Command Sgt. Maj. Robert Gallagher, who parachuted into Panama during Operation Just Cause, served as a platoon sergeant with Task Force Ranger in the Somalia battle known by “Black Hawk Down,” and fought his way into Baghdad in 2003 was found dead in his Georgia home Oct. 13 of natural causes.

He was 52 years old.

The Third Infantry Division announced his death on Facebook. According to the 3rd ID, Gallagher was the 3rd Battalion 15th Infantry Regiment command sergeant major during Operation Iraqi Freedom I. During the initial invasion, he was injured and continued to engage the enemy while a soldier rendered first aid on his leg.

He had a distinguished career earning two Purple Hearts, Silver Star, Bronze Star, Bronze Star with “V” device, and numerous other awards, medals, and achievements, 3rd ID wrote on Facebook.

Retired Command Sgt. Maj. Robert Gallagher
U.S. ARMY 3RD INFANTRY DIVISION

Gallagher was born in Bayonne, N.J., in 1962. He joined the U.S. Army in 1981 and retired in 2013, according to an online obituary hosted by the Richmond Hill Funeral Home.

Burial will be held in Arlington National Cemetery with full military honors at a later date, according to the obituary.

Gallagher joined U.S. Army Wounded Warrior Program as the new Sergeant Major in late 2009. In an interview with the organizations AW2 blog, Gallagher recalled his most memorable moments:

“[T]he combat parachute assault from 500 feet into Panama is something you never forget — especially while under fire.”

And remembering both gallantry and loss, “The best day and the worst day of my life was when I served in Mogadishu, Somalia, on October 3, 1993, as a part of Task Force Ranger.”