PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Needs To Rethink How Much It Cuts The Army

Richard
10-13-2014, 19:51
Something to think about if the debate is really "no s**t" serious.

Richard

Top General: U.S. Needs To Rethink How Much It Cuts The Army
WaPo, 13 Oct 2014

Cuts currently planned to the U.S. Army may pose problems as it takes a leading role in security crises emerging around the world, including the fight against the Islamic State militant group and the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, said the service’s top officer.

Gen. Raymond T. Odierno, chief of staff of the Army, said he is “starting to worry about our end strength,” a reference to the number of soldiers in the service. The Pentagon said in February that it would cut the Army to between 440,000 and 450,000 troops, its smallest size since before World War II. But “the world is changing in front of us” since those statements were made, Odierno said.

“We have to have a national security debate, because there is too much going on around the world,” he said.

(Cont'd) http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2014/10/13/top-general-u-s-needs-to-rethink-how-much-it-cuts-the-army/

sinjefe
10-14-2014, 10:50
Drawdown lessons (http://www.cnas.org/sites/default/files/publications-pdf/CNAS_RightSizingTheForce_Rostker_0.pdf) have been learned time and again.

Following them after funding expensive wars for years and years is always a different story, apparently.

As enlightening as those surveys are, they are a complete waste of time (IMHO). The decision to downsize and to what number is a political decision, not a realistic one. Clinton did the same as did Carter before him. Probably goes back further.

It's just the way it is. We don't EVER learn from these lessons.

Mills
10-14-2014, 12:07
I mean, even if we were to trim some more of the fat.............

Which there is plenty of........

We could do it by just making things really fucking hard again. No arguing about standards, no cell phones in basic training, no excuses for failing to meet the standards. It sickens me to see the cuts we are making, whilst at the same time seeing our initial entry troops be granted more freedoms than I had as a PFC living in the Barracks on Ft.lewis.

But yet, regardless of the cuts.............the good ideas keep fucking rolling.

cbtengr
10-14-2014, 14:16
As enlightening as those surveys are, they are a complete waste of time (IMHO). The decision to downsize and to what number is a political decision, not a realistic one. Clinton did the same as did Carter before him. Probably goes back further.

It's just the way it is. We don't EVER learn from these lessons.

Sort of a pattern there wouldn't you say? The military gets gutted and billions of dollars are saved, well not really. These savings just free up money to throw at all the pet social issues that the dims embrace.

Trappertod
10-14-2014, 14:26
It makes me sick to see what out government is doing and I wonder if we are going to actually survive another two years. History will teach us many lessons if we will accept them. I heard an elderly gentleman the other day make the statement that he thought everyone had forgotten what happened in the 1860's with our government.

Richard
10-14-2014, 14:48
When I was born the strength of the Army was 593,167.

When I was drafted it was 1,322,548.

When I was commissioned it was 758,852.

When I retired it was 572,423.

I'm sure others have seen similar swings during their careers.

Anybody want to work here? http://www.asamra.army.mil/USAMAA/

And so it goes...

Richard

Box
10-14-2014, 21:42
I think its fucking hilarious how fast we change gears in this country.

Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming, yet here we are.
At least we spent valuable human resources looking into the viability of allowing "openly" gay Soldiers into the military. We finally saw the importance of having the DOD/HQDA mandate that we use one of our leadership bullets on troop evaluations to address 'SHARPS" because, well, because fuck you - SHARPS is a priority. We have to show in writing that people didn't rape, fondle, abuse, or harass anyone during the rating period. At least we have spent plenty of time trying to force females into combat roles. Thank the Lord that we finally started clamping down on these damn tattoo wearing thugs that were infecting the ranks. We also had time to cut tuition assistance and even cut the list of colleges that can participate in TA programs.

...hell, weve even made sure that 'Joe and Molly' understand the difference between cowhide and pig skin when they go out and buy cmmercially available combat boots because we have battle hardend leaders that know first hand what boots hold up in combat and which ones don't.

We expended effort on all of these items because damn it, these are all CRITICAL issues that impact readiness. So, now that we have handled all of the really important issues, we can take a look at this whole inconvenience with combat readiness.

Keep cutting...
...as long as the social welfare programs survive we will all be just fine.

Box
10-15-2014, 01:17
Post-War draw downs are invitable. There is no getting around it.

Let's look at that term for a second...
"POST"
...meaning "after" not during.

Seems like failed thinking to start drawing down while you are still engaged in conflict.
Is anyone surpirsed that changing horses mid-stream has caused us to get our feet wet?

Sdiver
10-15-2014, 08:14
Post-War draw downs are invitable. There is no getting around it.

Let's look at that term for a second...
"POST"
...meaning "after" not during.

Seems like failed thinking to start drawing down while you are still engaged in conflict.
Is anyone surpirsed that changing horses mid-stream has caused us to get our feet wet?

:D

MtnGoat
10-15-2014, 08:23
Yeap Downsize, get rid of some many of the Generals we have. You can likely same the same to the E9 sitting around filling BS slots too.

I say ask people at 16 years if we give you your full 20 years, will you go. No extra pay, just get out 4 years early with your 20 year retirment. I say you have a good amount jumping at it.

abc_123
10-15-2014, 08:50
OMG, the stampede would be like people rushing the stage for festival seating at a Who concert...except in reverse.

Ape Man
10-15-2014, 08:52
When I was born the strength of the Army was 593,167.

When I was drafted it was 1,322,548.

When I was commissioned it was 758,852.

When I retired it was 572,423.

I'm sure others have seen similar swings during their careers.

Anybody want to work here? http://www.asamra.army.mil/USAMAA/

And so it goes...

Richard

Just stating the obvious, but half a million was a lot bigger relative to the population of the United States when you where born then it is now. So I would argue that the low point keeps getting lower in real terms every down swing. But perhaps this is balanced out somewhat by the fact that we use contractors for a lot of things that use to be done by soldiers.