PDA

View Full Version : Silencers probe leads to Pentagon secrets

BMT (RIP)
10-13-2014, 04:08
Sorting out the truth has been made more difficult by the elimination of potential evidence.

http://hamptonroads.com/2014/10/silencers-probe-leads-pentagon-secrets

BMT

Team Sergeant
10-13-2014, 13:03
I just want everyone to know that I had nothing to do with this but plead the 5th anyway.....:munchin

mark46th
10-13-2014, 13:49
Why don't they just use plastic soda bottles like Bobby Lee Swagger?

Five-O
10-13-2014, 14:34
I just want everyone to know that I had nothing to do with this but plead the 5th anyway.....:munchin

Doing that will get you a retirement package and a book deal. Well played.

Golf1echo
10-13-2014, 16:48
Soooooo

What are they pissed about? The fact that the Mexican cartels didnt get the weapons? :rolleyes: Cross thread points!

10K for parts for a suppressor. Wow. I'm not machinist but that seems a little over the top in price.

"Court records filed by prosecutors allege that the Navy paid the auto mechanic - the brother of the directorate’s boss - $1.6 million for the silencers, even though they cost only $10,000 in parts and labor to manufacture."

Peregrino
10-13-2014, 16:50
Soooooo

What are they pissed about? The fact that the Mexican cartels didnt get the weapons? :rolleyes: Cross thread points!

10K for parts for a suppressor. Wow. I'm not machinist but that seems a little over the top in price.

Reading comprehension test. 349 suppressors. Depending on the material and the amount of machining involved, 10k is not in the least unreasonable. Finished price of $4.6k each is what's "over the top". Does make for a sweet profit margin though.

Wonder how effective they were? :munchin

Team Sergeant
10-13-2014, 18:48

We'll have to wait until the ATF gets a hold of them and gives them to the mexican drug cartels. Then and only then will we know how effective they are.......:munchin

UWOA (RIP)
10-13-2014, 20:15
Reading comprehension test. 349 suppressors. Depending on the material and the amount of machining involved, 10k is not in the least unreasonable. Finished price of $4.6k each is what's "over the top". Does make for a sweet profit margin though.

Considering that they were for a weapon firing a rifle cartridge, probably not as effective as they would like ....

miclo18d
10-14-2014, 04:53
I like how the reporter is trying to dig out anything about the "SPECAT" op called "UPSTAIRS", when he should have just focused on the embezzlement angle of a few dudes trying to get rich off a jacked up "TDY" scam.

35NCO
10-14-2014, 07:17
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/senior-navy-civilians-investigated-in-alleged-scheme-to-defraud-military-for-16-million/2013/11/12/74383ffa-4bbb-11e3-9890-a1e0997fb0c0_story.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/navy-intelligence-official-indicted-in-firearm-silencer-scheme/2014/03/14/0523ae46-aba7-11e3-af5f-4c56b834c4bf_story.html

A month later, according to charging documents, Mark Landersman received a series of e-mails from his brother at the Pentagon about firearm silencers, including a link to a Web site with do-it-yourself instructions for building a certain model.

“Wow! Very simple,” Mark Landersman replied in an e-mail on Aug. 14, 2012, according to the charging documents.

The next day, Navy finance officials informed David Landersman that they had approved a $2 million budget supplement he had requested for “studies, assessments and research.”

Two days after that, Landersman’s office transferred almost all of the money to a preexisting Navy intelligence contract with CACI, a major contractor. According to court documents, Hall and Conspirator #3 then directed CACI to buy the silencers from a California company newly incorporated by Mark Landersman.

Hall also told CACI to award the business without seeking a lower bid, according to investigators. In e-mails, Hall said that Landersman’s fledgling company was “the only responsible source for the engineering expertise sought” and that “their product is first that incorporates a unique design that significantly reduces the decibel ratings to near background noise levels.”

So this website is going to take some considerable flak in some manner.

Wonder which website it was and if the design was even worth a dime? So much is wrong with the whole story. Someone wanted to be the "cool guy" when they were not.

The poor choices that so called senior leaders make will never cease to amaze. Have to wonder if they were also trading the suppressors for the prositutes in the other case and the whole thing comes full circle. Just a bunch of crazy people doing crazy things. Nothing to see here. :rolleyes:

Streck-Fu
10-14-2014, 08:16
Doh, I moved a decimal to far. I was getting $286 for parts, not 28.65.

How do I get in on these deals with profit margins like this?

Marry a disabled minority veteran and start a company.